brushless to brushed? I know it's backwards, typhon 3s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradl1rd

Reaction score
being open I'm new to the RC game, I'm very mechanical and tinker with everything from guns to hi-performance outboards. I bought my son and I typhon 3s BLX's for christmas (they are on sale and couldn't refuse) He's only 6 so the Mega would probably have been a better decision for him.

anyway, I saw the mega brushed motor/ESC in the classifieds here so I picked them up, thinking I would slap them in his car for the year then put the brushless in when he's comfortable. now looking at things closer the gearing seems to be an issue. the mega has a 14 pinion, 91 spur (6.5/1). the BLX has a 15 pinion, 57 spur (3.8/1) looking at my gearing options I only see pinions down to 13, and all .8 spur gears I can find are still 57.

anybody have an idea how to get close to the MEGA gearing with my BXL?

Agree with what’s written above. Gear down and volt down along with reducing the throttle on the TX. Not worth dealing with the hassles of a brushed system. If you really want to, just find a MOD 0.8 pinion with the right shaft diameter or buy an adapter for the shaft to 5mm and you should be good.

My youngest daughter 6yrs old (started when she was five.. when her hands could barely reach around the pistol grip & trigger) can work the remote and control the Granite & Senton 3S BLX trucks now.. (50% throttle ,of course)

They can do it.
Just get them enough Open space/fields to practice in (Safely). They can learn to control the trucks Mighty quick ,when given the chance!

It’s probably not what you want to hear at this point, but you’re better off leaving the brushless system installed with 12T pinion, 2S battery, and throttle at 50%. IMO.
I see compatible 13t but not 12, do you know of any 12t?

It’s probably not what you want to hear at this point, but you’re better off leaving the brushless system installed with 12T pinion, 2S battery, and throttle at 50%. IMO.
Agree with what’s written above. Gear down and volt down along with reducing the throttle on the TX. Not worth dealing with the hassles of a brushed system. If you really want to, just find a MOD 0.8 pinion with the right shaft diameter or buy an adapter for the shaft to 5mm and you should be good.

These 2 know what is up.

I see compatible 13t but not 12, do you know of any 12t?

Robinson Racing makes them all the way down to 11T https://www.amainhobbies.com/robins...S_yFM_qN6rUMnGODect2KFKe5g1KhBvYaAmbNEALw_wcB

What I really like about Robinson Racing is their part numbers the last 2 digits are the number of teeth on the pinon in case you ever need to find other sizes. So in this instance RRP8612 is a 12T and a 15T 32p pinion would be RRP8615.

For anyone curious my son has been running the brushed setup with a 9 tooth pinion since Christmas, has wo

I also through together a brushed arrma rig, using spare parts. Basically a granite with senton tires, traxxas 12t, stock mega esc, blx spur/slipper (57t), 9t pinion. So far it has worked fine on 2s lipos

We are just going the other way on my 6 year old daughter's granite. Kids are smart and will be fine on 2S and 50% throttle. They will be ripping on 3s and 100% in no time.

I'm happy to chuck her the controls to my big block XRT. She never goes above walking pace and loves it

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back