Brushless WLtoys 144001 speed run tire suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edough13

Bashing, Speed running and family!!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Mojave
  6. Notorious
  7. Typhon 6s
  8. Vorteks
So just got my son's WLtoys 144001 converted to brushless and during bench test I exploded the rear tires at maybe 50% throttle. The WLtoys is now running a 4000kv motor 27t pinion 44t spur and 3s obliterated the tires. What is out there in 12mm hex and 75mm or 2.9in tires that will hold up? Also anyone give me an idea of possible speed on this set-up?
IMG_20201105_200754513.jpg

If your looking for speed, run the Contact solid foam tires. I have a Castle Sidewinder 3 4600kv setup that runs 70mph on 3s.

I just find it hard to believe almost 90mph on this little set-up according to the calculator but?
Screenshot_20201105-212946.png

If your looking for speed, run the Contact solid foam tires. I have a Castle Sidewinder 3 4600kv setup that runs 70mph on 3s.
Any links or somewhere to look that will have 1/14 scale 75mm+/-?

Last edited:
Solution
I just find it hard to believe almost 90mph on this little set-up according to the calculator but?
View attachment 108105

Any links or somewhere to look that will have 1/14 scale 75mm+/-?
I agree that it's probably unreasonable. These calculators don't figure in aerodynamics, weight, tire differences etc. On paper the mechanical setup can hit 90 but it doesn't calculate the physical factors.

looks like a nice build! - have you done anything to the rear diff? - just interested - I've a got a couple of 144001's so I'm always interested in what people are doing with them - check out RC Master on YT for his speed runs...

going all metal looks good - but if it crashes it's going to be interesting to see what breaks - John Robinson on YT did a crash test and his all metal 144001 came off worse than the stock plastic one!!

Thanks, no changes to diff besides filling with some 800 CST oil. Don't plan on them lasting too long as it's a very cheap diff design. Have seen what looks like some better internal diff gear options online but we just got it brushless today so have to see how it runs first, after I order some new tires since I exploded his matching blue tires?. Ya it is all blinged out with aluminum as we bought him The full aluminum kit, but I agree crashes with that much metal doesn't end pretty. It's our father son rc experiment and hopeful it will be a good speed rig, only time and $$ will tell lol.
Alright thanks @aneft @slick2500 just ordered a full set so now it's hurry and wait.....
Screenshot_20201105-223255.png

Last edited:
Thanks @slick2500 I was just looking at these same ones. What is the shore? Looking at these tires in 40 shore if that will work?
Iirc it is the compound of the foam not sure what each level means you will probably want to do a little research on it to be honest.

Back