Mojave Budget fender/dust cover solution for Mojave

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanhalley

Reaction score
Hey folks just wanted to make a quick post to share with you guys how I made some inner fenders/debris shields to keep all the grass and debris out of the Mojave so it would stay cleaner and the fans wouldn’t get clogged. Hopefully this works, my first time posting on here.

My solution is super budget, all you need is some Velcro sticky tape and some old juice bottles and/or in my case an old baby formula container. So I cut out parts of an orange juice bottle for the front wheel well area and cut up the baby formula container for the side shields. I trimmed them to fit and added Velcro sticky tape to the chassis and the container pieces and stuck it all on. I’m happy to report that I went from having to empty grass and debris from my chassis every five minutes and having jammed fans, to running a whole pack without having to clear debris once, and fans were still free and clear at the end.

Obviously if budget is not a concern people are probably buying the Scorched Parts RC fenders or maybe a netted dust cover, but I wanted to see what I could come up with myself from household items before shelling out 20-50$. So far it works great, let me know if you have questions. Cheers!

-Ryan

F9061129-9DDD-45A3-8BFA-D11215ABA1F6.jpeg

28E0A0C0-B0DB-4173-9DB3-9805F5B28CFC.jpeg

CE7869C3-2F27-4699-A163-D431ED646AC1.jpeg

0A355AA2-51F3-4CC8-91F0-12A0BB66E645.jpeg

37862C18-7DE4-4DDD-816E-8CE3F343E31C.jpeg

CFCFD416-CF29-46AE-9323-34FCBFC76A26.jpeg

9D6833CF-F475-49FE-999C-1D79BDDCC931.jpeg

Hey folks just wanted to make a quick post to share with you guys how I made some inner fenders/debris shields to keep all the grass and debris out of the Mojave so it would stay cleaner and the fans wouldn’t get clogged. Hopefully this works, my first time posting on here.

My solution is super budget, all you need is some Velcro sticky tape and some old juice bottles and/or in my case an old baby formula container. So I cut out parts of an orange juice bottle for the front wheel well area and cut up the baby formula container for the side shields. I trimmed them to fit and added Velcro sticky tape to the chassis and the container pieces and stuck it all on. I’m happy to report that I went from having to empty grass and debris from my chassis every five minutes and having jammed fans, to running a whole pack without having to clear debris once, and fans were still free and clear at the end.

Obviously if budget is not a concern people are probably buying the Scorched Parts RC fenders or maybe a netted dust cover, but I wanted to see what I could come up with myself from household items before shelling out 20-50$. So far it works great, let me know if you have questions. Cheers!

-Ryan

View attachment 170942

View attachment 170943

View attachment 170944

View attachment 170945

View attachment 170946

View attachment 170947

View attachment 170948
Diy to the fullest 👊

Pretty good solution, and worst case scenario, if you find an issue, you're just out some plastic. If you wanted to make it look "cleaner", you could even just take the labels off and throw some spray paint (maybe even textured black) and it'd look pretty pro. Or take the label off and leave it clear would look good too

I was thinking of doing something similar. I have a chassis dust cover, but that ain’t gonna cut it when snow flies.

@ryanhalley, Welcome to AF.
I have bins full of plastic here. I save/recycle the nice thick stuff. Creativity goes a long way. As long as it functions is all that matters.
I went the Scortched RC path with my Mojave.

I was thinking of doing something similar. I have a chassis dust cover, but that ain’t gonna cut it when snow flies.
I was considering the dust cover but it seems like many people have heat issues with those, has that been a problem for you?
@ryanhalley, Welcome to AF.
I have bins full of plastic here. I save/recycle the nice thick stuff. Creativity goes a long way. As long as it functions is all that matters.
I went the Scortched RC path with my Mojave.
Yeah so far so good with my setup, but if ultimately I find that it’s not enough I will probably go for the Scorched RC fenders.

I was considering the dust cover but it seems like many people have heat issues with those, has that been a problem for you?
Yes. 😊 I’ve just installed a twin fan setup on the motor and that has helped a lot. I did a hard bash a few days ago and saw 149° which was a 60° improvement! I might still gear down though, I’m still running 21t pinion and I haven’t been back to the soccer field where I often run and where it’s gotten the hottest. The grass is well groomed and it’s only about 2” long but it’s THICK (any 30 Rock fans here? 😊) and it really heats up the truck. I just don’t want to go the scorched fender route.

I too have been working on a homebrewed solution to the vacuum cleaner effect of the mojave.. need to extend these down the sides and add something on the rear.
Seems like just as much debris comes from the rear wheels I think..

20210916_180627.jpg

20210916_180643.jpg

^^^ you've got a pretty big one info in the front. On the left side can bring it in significantly, and on the right side trim so it goes around the steering link, bring the top cut way down as well. I like the one piece design. Might have to do something similar.

^^^ you've got a pretty big one info in the front. On the left side can bring it in significantly, and on the right side trim so it goes around the steering link, bring the top cut way down as well. I like the one piece design. Might have to do something similar.
Yeah, it could be tightened up for sure on the left side but I was concerned about air flow.. since I have no motor fan(yet).
The steering arm clears no problem tho.
As to the sides, I'm thinking just a short extension to block what flies off the front tires.
I must say the mojave is an awesome rig!!

Yeah, it could be tightened up for sure on the left side but I was concerned about air flow.. since I have no motor fan(yet).
The steering arm clears no problem tho.
As to the sides, I'm thinking just a short extension to block what flies off the front tires.
I must say the mojave is an awesome rig!!
Agreed badass truck. Mine is my favorite in the fleet by far.
I do like your implementation,

Wait, what…? Would that fit under the Mojave body? Looks like it would block tons of debris if it sat tight on the chassis. I have an idea for ducted cooling from the cockpit down over the motor too, this might work. Anybody done it?

This dust cover works for the Mo-Jave, right?
ara406120.jpg
It very well might work. Air flow over the electronics would be a concern to me. Still may need something along the nerf bars as well? Idk, but it I had one of those laying around I'd give it a go.
Wait, what…? Would that fit under the Mojave body? Looks like it would block tons of debris if it sat tight on the chassis. I have an idea for ducted cooling from the cockpit down over the motor too, this might work. Anybody done it?
Looks like Arrma had some idea/suggestion of fans beneath the rear window louvers.. I thought about just cutting the circles out. Even without any additional fan, it seems like it would let more air through?
I know some peeps are trying to block air flow for speed running, but for me, I have no interest in making this truck aerodynamic.. it's a box on wheels right? To each their own✌️ Jmo.

Last edited:
Ah, I'm sorry I misled you, the Moajve is longer than the Typhon. I was thinking of a different interchange, and the body wasn't it.

Only issue will be heat.
Jconcepts made an inner cover for my Tekno Mt. I didn't like it. Ran way too hot. I kept modding it, vented it in so many places that in the end it let too much debris in anyway. But many have used buggy bodies or similar as an underbody.
Closed wheeled rigs just collect dirt. It is what it is. The Scortched RC fenders are probably the best compromise if anything. I tried the T-Bone front Mojave guards. They were useless also. Wasted my money.

Edited.
It very well might work. Air flow over the electronics would be a concern to me. Still may need something along the nerf bars as well? Idk, but it I had one of those laying around I'd give it a go.

Looks like Arrma had some idea/suggestion of fans beneath the rear window louvers.. I thought about just cutting the circles out. Even without any additional fan, it seems like it would let more air through?
I know some peeps are trying to block air flow for speed running, but for me, I have no interest in making this truck aerodynamic.. it's a box on wheels right? To each their own✌️ Jmo.
I did open up the one fan hole above the motor for air egress to keep the Mojave from lifting at speed, and the motor cooling effect. I also added a Lexan windshield. Keeps the nose planted more.

20211008_233435.jpg

20211008_233421.jpg

I too have been working on a homebrewed solution to the vacuum cleaner effect of the mojave.. need to extend these down the sides and add something on the rear.
Seems like just as much debris comes from the rear wheels I think..

View attachment 171619

View attachment 171620
Have you had any issues with those Deans T-plugs yet?:)
I gave up on them. A few melted on me running 6s.

Last edited:
Only issue will be heat.
Jconcepts made an inner cover for my Tekno Mt. I didn't like it. Ran way too hot. I kept modding it, vented it in so many places that in the end it let too much debris in anyway. But many have used buggy bodies or similar as an underbody.
Closed wheeled rigs just collect dirt. It is what it is. The Scortched RC fenders are probably the best compromise if anything. I tried the T-Bone front Mojave guards. They were useless also. Wasted my money.

Edited.

I did open up the one fan hole above the motor for air egress to keep the Mojave from lifting at speed, and the motor cooling effect. I also added a Lexan windshield. Keeps the nose planted more.

View attachment 173084

View attachment 173085

Have you had any issues with those Deans T-plugs yet?:)
I gave up on them. A few melted on me running 6s.
Noticeable improvement with the windshield? I cut out the dudes and left the back half with the imitation fans. I've only been running it on pavement, but the increased airflow seems to help keep it cooler in there on 6s

Thats awesome! I say keep the orange juice lable and get a sponsorship from them! hehehe
I have a parts container divider in one of my Frankenstein cars as a wing (all for looks tho) so I dig this kind of stuff. Good job man!(y)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back