Typhon Buggy tires that are good on grass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sadlerbw

Reaction score
Looking for some suggestions on 1/8 buggy tires that work well on grass. I picked up a used Typhon recently, and I'm not in love with the tires I've got on it. For the most part I run in a grassy field, and the tires on it right now are proline suppressors which are sort of a mini pin-style tire. The poor thing has a heck of a time getting its self moving from a dead stop if the grass hasn't just been mowed, so I'm looking for something that will work better on this surface. I'd rather not go full truggy if I don't have to (although I'm sure that would work.) Anyone have any experience with buggy tires that work well on grass, or are buggy-width tires just terrible for that job?

Looking for some suggestions on 1/8 buggy tires that work well on grass. I picked up a used Typhon recently, and I'm not in love with the tires I've got on it. For the most part I run in a grassy field, and the tires on it right now are proline suppressors which are sort of a mini pin-style tire. The poor thing has a heck of a time getting its self moving from a dead stop if the grass hasn't just been mowed, so I'm looking for something that will work better on this surface. I'd rather not go full truggy if I don't have to (although I'm sure that would work.) Anyone have any experience with buggy tires that work well on grass, or are buggy-width tires just terrible for that job?

In tall grass buggies and their tires don't do well. That said, ProLine Badlands buggy tires absolutely shred my lawn. I avoind drive on it because it will just tear up strips of grass and leave dirt in its wake.

DuraTrax Lockup Buggy
or
Louise B-Pioneer
not much but a little cheaper - both are working great - as long as a buggy can. Let's be clear: long grass -> no buggy

The badlands grip really well, but likely won't last long on pavement. I used to run those on my 1/8th nitro buggy and my jato before I converted it to electric.

In tall grass buggies and their tires don't do well. That said, ProLine Badlands buggy tires absolutely shred my lawn. I avoind drive on it because it will just tear up strips of grass and leave dirt in its wake.
I can second that. I have Badlands and ran Typhon on the lawn after a fresh cut. Was having so much fun until I realized what I was doing to my lawn...so I steered over to my neighbors lawn and continued the bash. ??

Have you tried the Katars from the V4 Typhon? They work great without shredding your lawn! You can pick up a set from Jenny's or Ebay pretty cheap and they hold up good! I'm running them on both my Typhons! Just make sure to vent them.?

I can second that. I have Badlands and ran Typhon on the lawn after a fresh cut. Was having so much fun until I realized what I was doing to my lawn...so I steered over to my neighbors lawn and continued the bash. ??
yeah my wife wont even let me run my senton or kraton in the yard anymore... the senton seems worse than the kraton it shoots a 10 to 20 foot rooster tail of grass clippings every time I go full throttle

I would take a look at durtrax tires premounted, they have a nice selection, and I use the six pack c2 DTXC3604. I really liked them, they do really good on pavement and seem to hold up pretty well. Two sets one for the front and one for the back I paid about 50 dollars. I mainly run them on pavement with 3s in my typhon and they are holding very well so far.

I've got longer grass and the stock tires seem to work well so far for me. I've driven it one day though lol... but they tore through my back yard with no problem all yesterday for me.

I would take a look at durtrax tires premounted, they have a nice selection, and I use the six pack c2 DTXC3604. I really liked them, they do really good on pavement and seem to hold up pretty well. Two sets one for the front and one for the back I paid about 50 dollars. I mainly run them on pavement with 3s in my typhon and they are holding very well so far.
yeah I settled for the six pack they seem to be the best from multiple surfaces I run them on my 6s senton ...they do tend to balloon but still are holding up great

Thanks for the suggestions. I definitely don’t want to destroy my lawn...but the empty lot next door is fair game! I was just trying to avoid having to go the full truggy route. I don’t expect miracles, but right now it is almost comical how much my typhon has to work to get moving. It got absolutely smoked off the line by my granite on 2S when I was playing around with my kids. It actually isn’t so bad once it gets some speed built up, but at low speeds or from a stop it needs more grip.

Thanks for the suggestions. I definitely don’t want to destroy my lawn...but the empty lot next door is fair game! I was just trying to avoid having to go the full truggy route. I don’t expect miracles, but right now it is almost comical how much my typhon has to work to get moving. It got absolutely smoked off the line by my granite on 2S when I was playing around with my kids. It actually isn’t so bad once it gets some speed built up, but at low speeds or from a stop it needs more grip.
Do you know how to tune the ESC? Turn the "punch" setting up to 9 and that'll help. I didn't notice in previous posts, is this a 3S or 6S?

Do you know how to tune the ESC? Turn the "punch" setting up to 9 and that'll help. I didn't notice in previous posts, is this a 3S or 6S?
+1 on this .... when I first got my kraton first arrma I ever owned I took it right out the box and ran it on 6s all afternoon... I was alittle disappointed lol after I finally did the full set up with throttle adjustment brake settings just went down the list and set everything how I wanted punch was on 9 ... it was like midnight and I had to charge my batteries ...next day I got it out hit the throttle like I did before and it almost did a standing back flip lol it's crazy the difference between running it right out the box vs alittle programming on the esc

Have you tried the Katars from the V4 Typhon? They work great without shredding your lawn! You can pick up a set from Jenny's or Ebay pretty cheap and they hold up good! I'm running them on both my Typhons! Just make sure to vent them.?

I really want to try these. (y)(y)?

+1 on this .... when I first got my kraton first arrma I ever owned I took it right out the box and ran it on 6s all afternoon... I was alittle disappointed lol after I finally did the full set up with throttle adjustment brake settings just went down the list and set everything how I wanted punch was on 9 ... it was like midnight and I had to charge my batteries ...next day I got it out hit the throttle like I did before and it almost did a standing back flip lol it's crazy the difference between running it right out the box vs alittle programming on the esc

I need to do that throttle adjustment brake setting again!

Got mine on 9...

Got mine on 9...
I will say punch 9 will sometimes make it slower off the line to much power equals no traction just spins idc what kinda tires you have lol
I really want to try these. (y)(y)?
do u have 2 or 3 vent holes rc dude81 I havnt done my tires for my senton I gotta get a smaller aluminum or brass tube ....

love the vids on YouTube btw you and a few others are the reason I made the switch to arrma

Last edited:

Got mine on 9...

I remember this in Motocross wit the big 500 2 strokes. They could lose to 250's because of traction and wheel spin out of the whole. This one reason the 4 strokes can be faster while accelerating slower too.

My typhon is a 6S, and I am running on 6S. The punch probably won’t do much because I have too much wheelspin as it is. Wheelspin is the issue I’m trying to solve. The acceleration is just fine on pavement.

I looked at some of the suggestions online, and it looks like most of them are probably better for the driving I do than what I’ve got now. Not 100% sure what I’m going to try, but it looks like I’ve got some reasonable options. Thanks folks.

I don't know from experience because I don't have a fancy radio or motor but I'd bet that a higher end radio, and sensored motor would give more control and "reaction time" off the line.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back