Building a track

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenyon

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Hey Guys! So I got my Kraton 6S and two days later I caught the bug to build a track. I don't have any experience with RC tracks, so I am just kind of building what I think would be cool. I have a couple videos of what I have done before today. We did a bunch of work smoothing the track today. I will try to get a video soon.

I am open to thoughts and recommendations. Especially regarding the jumps. I have not been able to run my Kraton on the track since it was first started (and the track was still really rough). When I did run the Kraton on it, I could not make the jumps. I ran the EMAXX on it today after an entire day of smoothing and it was a lot better, but the EMAXX is just too slow to make it.

Anyway, I am rambling. Looking forward to thoughts.
I tried to post a couple videos, but some were too long and the 2 that weren't too long may or may not have been correct. My videos aren't labeled. I don't think it worked anyway. I will try again tomorrow.

Last edited:
I tried to post a couple videos, but some were too long

If we upload our vids to youtube and post the link here, the videos can be as long as we want. I love that you've started building a track and would also love to see it. In time I'll do the same ??

This is awesome. I’m looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

I’m sure there is a general rule of thumb for jump placement and spacing based on scale and stuff like that but I don’t know anything about it or where to find it.

RCTech Forum might be a better place to look for that kind of info. There’s a lot of racers over there.

If we upload our vids to youtube and post the link here, the videos can be as long as we want. I love that you've started building a track and would also love to see it. In time I'll do the same ??

That's a good idea! I will try to do that tomorrow. Thank you.

That's a good idea! I will try to do that tomorrow. Thank you.

I'll be happy to help if you need any. I have limited experience with youtube but I think I can answer questions if you have any. Good luck and I know you'll love that Kraton when it get's some air time. ? Can't wait to watch ?

I'll be happy to help if you need any. I have limited experience with youtube but I think I can answer questions if you have any. Good luck and I know you'll love that Kraton when it get's some air time. ? Can't wait to watch ?

I appreciate it. I fumbled my way through making videos on there before, hopefully thinks haven't changed too much in the past 5 or so years. I am fortunate enough to have teenage kids that can help the old man when needed.

I am open to thoughts and recommendations.

You want chicanes, sweepers, triples, doubles, singles, table tops, berms, whoops, twists, straights and over/unders.

Not to be confused with: Whistling bungholes, spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser.. ;) :ROFLMAO:

You want chicanes, sweepers, triples, doubles, singles, table tops, berms, whoops, twists, straights and over/unders.

Not to be confused with: Whistling bungholes, spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser.. ;) :ROFLMAO:

Well, like I always say, "Life's a garden. Dig it."
Funny how that applies to building an RC track too!
Alright, here is a link to the video on YouTube so y'all can see what I have so far.

Last edited:
That looks like a great start! Just a suggestion, berm up that sweeper and corner so you can take it at speed and add in some trips on the back straight. Need a drivers stand, some type of lap times RC4 decoder loop and a local hotel and now you got a racing party! (y)

That looks like a great start! Just a suggestion, berm up that sweeper and corner so you can take it at speed and add in some trips on the back straight. Need a drivers stand, some type of lap times RC4 decoder loop and a local hotel and now you got a racing party! (y)

A driver's stand is likely coming soon, as well as berms on all of the corners.

Not sure what you mean by "Trips on the back straight."

We don't do hotels out here. Bring a tent. Hell, we don't even have indoor plumbing yet in the cabin we live in!

A driver's stand is likely coming soon, as well as berms on all of the corners.

Not sure what you mean by "Trips on the back straight."

We don't do hotels out here. Bring a tent. Hell, we don't even have indoor plumbing yet in the cabin we live in!

3 jumps in a row set up to if you hit them right with the right speed you will clear them all. Hit it wrong and go down the back side of the second and have to hit the third. Slows you down. They are typically placed in a spot after a corner on a straight. Tents work for me! ??

3 jumps in a row set up to if you hit them right with the right speed you will clear them all. Hit it wrong and go down the back side of the second and have to hit the third. Slows you down. They are typically placed in a spot after a corner on a straight. Tents work for me! ??

I might add those once we get the jumps figured out, but I really like the idea of having that one big straightaway to open her up a little. A lot is going t depend on how the track flows once I get to try it out.

From my experience building and working on home-made tracks, jumps are a trial and error thing. Different cars jump differently. And, you can build a ramp to be a kicker or a sender. Kicker = air, sender = distance. Not official terms, but I like to differentiate them that way. Typically, you won't need a landing with a sender, and with a kicker, a down-ward landing is a good idea.

Easiest jumps to make are senders, as they are just long, flat jumps that don't pop your car up in the air like a kicker would. Your car gets air by rising in elevation on the ramp then dropping off. They are triangle shaped.

A kicker you will need to experiment the most with. How long do you want the takeoff, how does your car handle hitting the lips of the jumps, what speed do you want to be hitting it at etc..

There's a reason some of the nicer tracks out there are designed by some top notch dudes. Lots of math goes into making smooth tracks. And, lots of time. For home-made though? Try it, see how you like it, and make small adjustments as you go. Beauty of it is you get to make all the decisions.

Good luck!

I took the Kraton down to the track yesterday. I don't have any video because it was before the youngens got up and it was raining a little off and on. (My cameramen are sensitive little creatures). It went pretty well, over all. One of my ramps was more of a "kicker" than I wanted it to be, so it kept kicking the rear end up causing me to have to either do a full front flip, or land on my head. I got that fixed. The big straight away is nice! It is still a little bumpy, but the Kraton suspension handles it just fine. as was pointed out by another member, I would really like to get a nice berm going on that big corner. I can take it pretty fast, but not as fast as I would be able to if there was a good berm. For the most part, all of the major flaws came from my lack of driving experience. Nothing that won't come in time. There is one corner that is a little low and puddles up, more to follow on that part. I will try to get some video when my brother comes out and we spend some more time down there.

As promised, here are a couple videos of me attempting to drive the Kraton on the track. They are unedited and kind of long and probably pretty boring, but they are here. I definitely want to get a stand built and screen it in. The damn gnats were dive bombing me constantly. I wish I could blame them for the bad driving, but the fact is that I just haven't gotten the hang of it yet. I'd love to hear any feedback on how I might improve the track. As of now, the things I am considering are as follows:

-Podium to stand on while driving.
-Move that stupid trailer out of the way.
-Refine the ramps some more.
-A good berm on that big corner behind the trailer.
-Some doubles/triples on the short straight away (the one after the first curve following the big straight away).
-Corrugated pipe on the edges, especially around the corners.
-Either backfill or drain the areas that are holding water.

I'm sure there will be plenty more as time goes by. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back