Building a track

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As promised, here are a couple videos of me attempting to drive the Kraton on the track. They are unedited and kind of long and probably pretty boring, but they are here. I definitely want to get a stand built and screen it in. The damn gnats were dive bombing me constantly. I wish I could blame them for the bad driving, but the fact is that I just haven't gotten the hang of it yet. I'd love to hear any feedback on how I might improve the track. As of now, the things I am considering are as follows:

-Podium to stand on while driving.
-Move that stupid trailer out of the way.
-Refine the ramps some more.
-A good berm on that big corner behind the trailer.
-Some doubles/triples on the short straight away (the one after the first curve following the big straight away).
-Corrugated pipe on the edges, especially around the corners.
-Either backfill or drain the areas that are holding water.

I'm sure there will be plenty more as time goes by. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

You did a great job! Personally I would widen it a bit. It seems on the narrow side. I'd definitely moved that trailer and a podium is a great idea. You really need to be able to see your truck the whole time. I would also cut the grass that's there as sort as possible and clear any brush.

Keep up the great work ???

You did a great job! Personally I would widen it a bit. It seems on the narrow side. I'd definitely moved that trailer and a podium is a great idea. You really need to be able to see your truck the whole time. I would also cut the grass that's there as sort as possible and clear any brush.

Yeah, it is between 6 and 7 feet wide. I thought that would be plenty, but it does seem a bit narrow. I'm sure it will feel even narrower when there is another vehicle on it. I started mowing the grass, but the center spindle on my mower got stripped so I am waiting on parts. I got about 5 feet on each side of the track mowed. Hopefully when I get the podium that will help.

Nice work! Off to a great start. Definitely just takes practice. Even when you go to an official race track, it takes time to get used to. You'll be blasting around it in no time.

Well done, wish I had room to make a track

Building a track is huge job…
I like your track.
Widen is good idea… Some guys are riding Kraton 8s right now at local track...

I live far enough out in the sticks that I would be pretty surprised if anyone wanted to run on the track out here. I am actually thinking about building a go kart and running it in this track too (would rout around the jumps, obviously). I think that would possibly help make berms as well as widen the track.

Hey Guys. I'm not sure about etiquette when it comes to reviving old posts, so if I am doing it wrong, please let me know.

I let the old track get over run with weeds and just started working on a new, improved version. I still haven't built the podium and this will not be the permanent track because when I dig my pond, all the dirt I pull out is going where the track is now. Anyway, I am taking a whole new approach this time. I have been looking at the way pro tracks are done and they make a lot more sense, so that's the direction I am going. My nephew and I have gotten the ground pretty well clear and level. I don't want to make this post too long, but if anyone wants to know how we did it, I can explain in another post. I am going to include a couple pics so you can see what we have so far. I will also include a pic on graph paper of one general layout we are considering. If anyone is bored and wants to draw up alternative designs, I would LOVE to see what you come up with. We haven't started adding jumps to the plan yet. We are just trying to get the route planned then figure out the jumps afterward.

20210906_102130.jpg

20210906_102143.jpg

20210906_194531.jpg

20210906_212717.jpg

I forgot to add, the outline of the track shown on the graph paper is pretty close to scale. Each square represents 10' x 10'. We are thinking of making the lanes roughly between 12' and 15' mostly because the old track was only about 6' and I could barely stay on it. Also, we are planning to use 4" corrugated pipe (or something similar) for dividing the lanes.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back