Typhon Building a typhoon 6s to race

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

702leatherworker

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I recently scored a typhoon 6s for 100$ it came with hot racing center diff housing front and rear shock towers and chassis braces it was previously setup for speed runs with a 24t pinion and the motor mount was butchered so I swapped to a tlr tuned one I just ordered the tlr tuned chassis for electronics I'm either putting my hobbywing xr8 sct with a hobbywing 4268 2200kv motor or I'm trading that for a tekin rx8 gen 2 and then I'll run then matching tekin motor I've also considered the hobbystar 220a esc to drop some weight on it I'm going to add carbon chassis sides Ackerman arm, top chassis plate, battery mount and maybe wing mount I've already got a j concepts body other than the tlr tuned shocks wich then I'd need the matching towers is there any good shock upgrades? I've thought about the associated/ fox shocks with ti shafts if I can get them in the correct length it'll be raced on 4s power at an outdoor track and occasionally bashed in my backyard. What weight fluid would be best in the diffs?
Also what do I need to do to be able to have adjustable caster on the arms?

Last edited:
Sucks cause the typhon tlr shocks are actually really good. Your build sounds amazing btw!

On a medium sized track I ran 5k/5k/3k. Minimum caster. 3rd hole back on the Ackerman bar. Front upper arm pills max down and out. Front Lower pills max up and in. It took the push out of it and was nimble.
...also convert the steering to bearings

Last edited:
Sucks cause the typhon tlr shocks are actually really good. Your build sounds amazing btw!
If they're good I may swap to tlr shocks and towers since I can instantly sell any parts i take off since my friend has a brushed typhoon thats getting anything i take off mine how strong are carbon towers I've never ran them on anything yet the ones I'd run at the extreme racing ones and they're 5mm thick
Can we see some pictures?
I'll load some but it's still kinda rough I'm waiting on my chassis but it does have all the hot racing stuff already

16780919867064589606041559369198.jpg

I'm waiting on my tlr chassis and some other tlr parts from jennys rc once that comes in and tear it down for rebuild I've got some titanium camber links from my jammin x2 to add to it I need to find some tlr shocks since jennys is sold out of front shocks I'm ordering the rears from them tomorrow and buying my carbon towers Ackerman arm and steering plates from ebay then I just need to sell my sc10 to buy my titanium shock standoffs and lower pins do the titanium center driveshafts make a noticeable difference? I know the less rotating mass the better but don't know if they make a noticeable difference.

Last edited:
I got some of my tlr parts in the mail today so my buggy is torn apart for cleaning and swapping to the tlr parts I'm polishing all the axles while it's apart. is the bottom of the front and rear diff supposed to be open or am I missing pieces?

Finished mine up this weekend, but i think it's going to get a g2 max8 combo before i run it. You can buy the tlr typhon shock pistons and x rings for the seal and pretty much have the same shocks according to another post on here so i did that. I did add aluminum braces and hinge pin blocks but i put carbon towers/ackerman/top plate on it to help offset a little of the weight. it came out to 8 pounds 1.5oz without a battery.

racing typhon 2.jpg

racing typhon.jpg

All I'm missing is tlr front shocks jennys sold out before I could order a set I need to find someone to buy all my stock 6s parts since i now have a spare chassis all the suspension mounts and steering stuff spare so I can buy a set I might have to send back my rears and buy the shocks in a combo package off ebay but it's 100$ for the shocks then but atleast the last bit of tlr parts and all the carbon parts I ordered will be here Saturday
Finished mine up this weekend, but i think it's going to get a g2 max8 combo before i run it. You can buy the tlr typhon shock pistons and x rings for the seal and pretty much have the same shocks according to another post on here so i did that. I did add aluminum braces and hinge pin blocks but i put carbon towers/ackerman/top plate on it to help offset a little of the weight. it came out to 8 pounds 1.5oz without a battery.

View attachment 285301

View attachment 285302
I had a chance to trade my hobbywing xerun sct esc for a tekin rx8 gen 2 but I lagged and missed out wich I may still run my hobbywing esc I just wish I could run the bigger motor with that esc If I buy a new esc I'm definitely getting something with data logging since that would be so handy for tuning

All I'm missing is tlr front shocks jennys sold out before I could order a set I need to find someone to buy all my stock 6s parts since i now have a spare chassis all the suspension mounts and steering stuff spare so I can buy a set I might have to send back my rears and buy the shocks in a combo package off ebay but it's 100$ for the shocks then but atleast the last bit of tlr parts and all the carbon parts I ordered will be here Saturday

I had a chance to trade my hobbywing xerun sct esc for a tekin rx8 gen 2 but I lagged and missed out wich I may still run my hobbywing esc I just wish I could run the bigger motor with that esc If I buy a new esc I'm definitely getting something with data logging since that would be so handy for tuning
If all else fails get the internals and springs and send the bodies off to be anodized black by bateman's custom coatings. I did a few before black ones were available.

I'd like to just trade all 4 of my old shocks for just some tlr fronts. do the tlr tops with bleeders fit the tlr tuned shocks?
16793995667391970369532098715342.jpg

Anyone have a manual for the tlr tuned buggy mainly something that says what pills are wich

Some racer guys say they prefer to run Losi shocks from the 8ight to have better tuning options.
Other than that find ways to reduce weight as you have already.

Beyond that it comes down to driving. I would get a better servo for sure!

I need to get some new hinge pins since I misplaced mine in my workshop that's in udder dismay since I just moved it all and it's all my rc stuff and leatherwork tools so there's alot to go through

You want something like this . But I recommend Polished. You can polish them if you have the right tools and some Jewelers Rouge. Ti is very hard to polish.

https://www.amazon.com/BCP-Titanium-Unpolished-Finish-Half-Hard/dp/B07B49DPDR

I've polished ti before and have everything to do it so that's not a problem I just ordered the titanium now I'm just waiting for that and my front shocks to show up and I can finish putting my buggy together next upgrade will be shock caps that are aluminum with breeders and titanium pins for the lower shock mounting and then upgrade the shock standoffs

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back