Building a wooden ramp - opinions needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
I'm going with a 27" high 45 degree ramp mainly because I found a good build video. I'm another video I watched a guy used a rod to trace the curve and I liked that better than freehanding it. What do you guys think of this curve? Too much or not enough? Or good to go?

20190520_135029.jpg

I used a bendable piece of flat pvc to get my curve at 40 degrees on the transition. I felt 45 degrees might be too much. Yours looks right to me. 4'wide
Here are photos of the one I built with my dad's help. He had the tools and the skills but I think I could do it alone now.

Mine is heavy so I don't really take it anywhere and it's too big for my yard. The truck I built it for was way, way too weak to handle it but it's gone now and I still have the ramp. I thought about putting outdoor carpet on it but I was already at about $80 or so even after using some scrap plywood so I called it done.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/R8FD3oHcjNDGrJnm7

OP the ramp angle looks great to me assuming you are not coming in at 50mph :p

Not the help u wanted, i know, but i rebuild this one. Seems to fit for me AND its moveable.
That is very nice! I have been thinking on how to build something collapsible and light weight. I was even thinking of making something from fiberglass. Do you have more detail on the front/middle hinge section where the two ramp surface areas meet. It was not clear to me in the video.

If I did it again I'd use expanded metal and make it modular and collapsable for transport.
If I had more room though, I'd try to weatherproof the one I have and leave it out.
I did install some casters on one side to make it easy to roll but they got in the way and I took em back. I suppose a cart or dolly could be built to make it easier to move around.

This is going to be a permanent structure in my yard bash area. I don't care if it's portable or not. I have the plastic ramps for that. I'm ready to cut the sides.

20190520_143302.jpg

Looks good can't wait to see how it ends up..?? will there be a video of the build..??

I wish I could have a permanent yard ramp..!! but my yard is barely big enough to swing a cat ???

This is going to be a permanent structure in my yard bash area. I don't care if it's portable or not. I have the plastic ramps for that. I'm ready to cut the sides.

View attachment 38834
Once your done, maybe cap it with a 1/4" piece of PVC or lexan. Less likely that the chassis might snag the wood.

Looks good can't wait to see how it ends up..?? will there be a video of the build..??

I wish I could have a permanent yard ramp..!! but my yard is barely big enough to swing a cat ???

This is the first woodworking project that I've done in forever and what I've done in the past was minor. I didn't want to do a video because I wasn't sure if I was going to mess it up. I may still end up botching it. But I got the sides done!
20190520_144240.jpg

This is the first woodworking project that I've done in forever and what I've done in the past was minor. I didn't want to do a video because I wasn't sure if I was going to mess it up. I may still end up botching it. But I got the sides done!
View attachment 38835

It'll be fine. Just curious how you plan to weatherproof it. I need to do mine so I can leave it out somewhere

It'll be fine. Just curious how you plan to weatherproof it. I need to do mine so I can leave it out somewhere
I'm going to stain it and then hit it with a sealer of some sort. Nothing to slick through. Probably use something like they use on wood decks.
Just don't hit that thing at max speed or you'll be heading for the moon..!! ????
That's the plan though. Zoom!

Looks like an excuse to buy new tools too me ?. Looks good so far! For my outdoor ramp I used an outdoor paint with play sand mixed in for better traction up the ramp. I found that without some grip in the rain I would slide off if I didn't have the approach angle right. I accidentally sent my Typhon over the fence and into the street several times... Good times!

Looks sweet so far bro!? Yeah as long as you have a nice run up and not too steep, you should get a good launch without it slamming the lip and throwing the truck sideways in the air or into a front flip. I thought about doing that but I have to be able to transport it to my bash areas and the ramp I would build would weigh a ton! :ROFLMAO:I'm actually looking into working with a manufacturer to have some plastic ramps made to my specs. Can't buy the darn things anymore and the kicker ramps are junk. Anyway, Can't wait to see the finished product!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back