Building a wooden ramp - opinions needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a bendable piece of flat pvc to get my curve at 40 degrees on the transition. I felt 45 degrees might be too much. Yours looks right to me. 4'wide
Here are photos of the one I built with my dad's help. He had the tools and the skills but I think I could do it alone now.

Mine is heavy so I don't really take it anywhere and it's too big for my yard. The truck I built it for was way, way too weak to handle it but it's gone now and I still have the ramp. I thought about putting outdoor carpet on it but I was already at about $80 or so even after using some scrap plywood so I called it done.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/R8FD3oHcjNDGrJnm7
Nice ramp

Ed we need videos of the whole fleet launching off of your new ramp. Google FRP Board. It's good stuff. Get a piece and use spray adhesive with a bead of Liquid nail or Tite bond 3 glue on the edges. If your out of square a little. Place the board down with clamps first and trace the back before you glue it down. You can cut the frp board with a good sharp razor knife. You should be able to get everything at your favorite big box home improvement store. Have your logo done out of vinyl .... My neighbor does commercial signs and can make large logos. You draw it or have it drawn... He can scan it and reproduce it in vinyl. Great job on the launch pad!

I'll be testing my ramp tomorrow. Any suggestions as to which truck should go first? Kraton, Talion, Typhon, Granite, BRCC (Noto on the shelf).
View attachment 38870View attachment 38871View attachment 38872

Riding mower should be launched first.
I have FRP in the kitchens because easy to clean and Health Dept likes it but not sure if it would offer much traction. Not discounting the idea at all cause it's pretty affordable and comes in 4x8 sheets. Interested to see if it works. I think I have some scrap around to play with too.
I like the idea of grip tape material or spray Line-X bedliner for the sandy texture. I'm probably over-thinking anyway so whatever you try will probably do the job. Can't fix it until we see what needs fixing if anything.

Last edited:
Lol Jesus... Mad vert!!
Fuk... I wish I saw this earlier. That is gonna be a Booom, bottom out banger! 25 foot run way will do ya. Lol. That's gonna be a slow hitter.
It's pretty steep man... But no biggie you can always have another less steep. This looks like a high air trick ramp.
I usually Start out mild and slowly increase vert based apon style of ramp. Definitely no need for back either. Next time just stop by with beer and wood ?

Lol Jesus... Mad vert!!
Fuk... I wish I saw this earlier. That is gonna be a Booom, bottom out banger! 25 foot run way will do ya. Lol. That's gonna be a slow hitter.
It's pretty steep man... But no biggie you can always have another less steep. This looks like a high air trick ramp.
I usually Start out mild and slowly increase vert based apon style of ramp. Definitely no need for back either. Next time just stop by with beer and wood ?

I'm not carrying a bunch of wood around. I'll bring beer though.

I've planned my ramps but just haven't had a chance to assemble them, maybe in a few weeks. I'd love to build something like the ones in this post but I need them to be mobile and fit in the back of my vehicle (I don't have a ute or dual cab) hence they need to be robust and collapsable. Attached are my rough drawings. At the moment I'm thinking 1200mm long 900mm wide and if the top is wider on two of the three then I can connect them as well. Notching the support arm will give me three variations of pitch but I won't have a curve. The actual ramp will also taper at the rear unlike the drawing (limitation of my drawing to draw.io).

Just need to find time.

Attachments

• RC Ramp Concept.jpg
    RC Ramp Concept.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 65
I've planned my ramps but just haven't had a chance to assemble them, maybe in a few weeks. I'd love to build something like the ones in this post but I need them to be mobile and fit in the back of my vehicle (I don't have a ute or dual cab) hence they need to be robust and collapsable. Attached are my rough drawings. At the moment I'm thinking 1200mm long 900mm wide and if the top is wider on two of the three then I can connect them as well. Notching the support arm will give me three variations of pitch but I won't have a curve. The actual ramp will also taper at the rear unlike the drawing (limitation of my drawing to draw.io).

Just need to find time.
What's that in inches... ?

Just need to find time.
The lip on the approach may be a challenge but sure enough, I do love the versatility. Maybe a piece of tin that could attach and make it for any angle and get over that first little bump.

about 47" long and 35" wide. I will do three with the top of one being about 33". FYI there are 25.4mm in an inch
The lip on the approach may be a challenge but sure enough, I do love the versatility. Maybe a piece of tin that could attach and make it for any angle and get over that first little bump.
Nah the lip won't exist. It only appears on the drawing because I can't do the angle on the shape well with Draw.io

The top is likely to have a layer of masonite (hardboard) over plywood that that will/should help as well. The ends will be cut with a taper of around 20-25 degrees I'm thinking

I need to add TBone bumpers first!!!?
Their strength will destroy your ramp. I'd stick with RPM if you want to keep your ramp looking new. ?

Their strength will destroy your ramp. I'd stick with RPM if you want to keep your ramp looking new. ?
But I love the challenge of installing T-Bone parts!

Man....I wish I had known you were such a big fan before now or I would've thrown a special bonus gift in your box ?

Attachments

• IMG_0013.PNG
    IMG_0013.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 60
But I love the challenge of installing T-Bone parts!
Simple bolt ons are for wusses. T-Bone is keeping the spirit alive, by making the hobbyist have to think and modify to get the job done. It's all part of the plan to make us smarter, and not just RTR junkies.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back