Building a wooden ramp - opinions needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why is there no video up yet of you testing the new ramp?

lol
I'm tempted but I have a few things left to do. Right now I'm gluing the ends. The weather is crappy here anyways. Soon, Mr. Duke. Soon ???

I'm going with this until I start punching holes in it.
View attachment 38848View attachment 38849

You say 1/5 scale proof but it looks like my SRR would flatten it ?

If you don't have the back covered I think it may get rickety on you. Start shifting from side to side.
Also, no big deal if you punch holes in it because easy to replace the face.

I can tell right now that you're gonna to get very high airs with that 45º transition... need quadruple flips on video!

If you don't have the back covered I think it may get rickety on you. Start shifting from side to side.
Also, no big deal if you punch holes in it because easy to replace the face.

I can tell right now that you're gonna to get very high airs with that 45º transition... need quadruple flips on video!
Should I use the 1/2" plywood for the back?

Should I use the 1/2" plywood for the back?
Yes sir. If you didn't return it to the store I would use it or even the 1/4" if you have enough leftover. Seems like I bought two 4x8 sheets and brought one back. I mayve used some other scrap for the back but I would definitely close it in for more support.

Yes sir. If you didn't return it to the store I would use it or even the 1/4" if you have enough leftover. Seems like I bought two 4x8 sheets and brought one back. I mayve used some other scrap for the back but I would definitely close it in for more support.
I have a 4x5 piece of 1/2" I can use.

The hardest part was squaring everything up. One side seems pretty good and the other not so much. But for a first attempt I'm pretty happy. I wish I had my table saw figured out. I did all the cuts with a jigsaw. Pain in the ass.

Plus, if you were so inclined, you could get a big cool sticker or make a stencil and paint something cool on the back side that would show in your videos. If that person you asked to make you a YT channel screen design ever made one, you could take it to a sign shop and get them to cut one for you that would show your youtube channel logo. Would be super cool to have your YT Logo one day on the rear face of the ramp.

Plus, if you were so inclined, you could get a big cool sticker or make a stencil and paint something cool on the back side that would show in your videos. If that person you asked to make you a YT channel screen design ever made one, you could take it to a sign shop and get them to cut one for you that would show your youtube channel logo. Would be super cool to have your YT Logo one day on the rear face of the ramp.

That's a great idea!

reason I say this is because I think I saw that you mentioned that you like to stand and record at the back of the ramp and marketing your logo with jumps would be awesome.

reason I say this is because I think I saw that you mentioned that you like to stand and record at the back of the ramp and marketing your logo with jumps would be awesome.
It's a great idea. If anything I will stencil BicketyBam on the back for now ???

Reminds me of Dutch's ramp, where's he been? Really nice size, inspiring...
He should be coming up my way soon to bash. Vids will be epic.

Wow- that is quite a transition.

My ramp (pre-made metal motox ramp) is nowhere near as aggressive angle, I go MUCH slower than you- and I still bottom out enough to leave gouges and red paint underneath on my chassis and bits...

Of course my ramp is open metal grate- I wouldn't expect your ramp to damage your trucks.. but you might notice them bottoming out and some front bumper wear...

There no way I can bend this 1/2 inch plywood. Holy crap. Did you use 1/2 inch for the surface?
If you want to use 1/2", use a skill saw and set the depth to around 3/16". Run a few slats in the back from side to side and that will allow you to bend it a bit. Much easier going with the 1/4" though, but I would put a piece of 1/4" PVC or lexan on the surface so you don't punch through the wood. They sell sheets of plastic that are smooth on one side and rough on the other. They take a real beating when the aluminum chassis hits them at speed. I used it to cover the 1/4" plywood that I used to make my cheapy skate ramps wider.

Attachments

• 20190515_214538.jpg
    20190515_214538.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 20190515_214524.jpg
    20190515_214524.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 69
If you want to use 1/2", use a skill saw and set the depth to around 3/16". Run a few slats in the back from side to side and that will allow you to bend it a bit. Much easier going with the 1/4" though, but I would put a piece of 1/4" PVC or lexan on the surface so you don't punch through the wood. They sell sheets of plastic that are smooth on one side and rough on the other. They take a real beating when the aluminum chassis hits them at speed. I used it to cover the 1/4" plywood that I used to make my cheapy skate ramps wider.
What is that plastic stuff? do you have a link?

Not sure if its PVC or a different plastic. It's a 1/4" thick and easy to cut and bend. I googled plastic sales and found a company not to far from where I work. I'm pretty sure you can buy similar from the big box hardware guys, just smaller sheets. It is almost indestructible. It wouldn't hold up on its own though, too flimsy. But screwing it down with the plywood underneath makes it work well. Being rough on one side also helps a lot.

Not sure if its PVC or a different plastic. It's a 1/4" thick and easy to cut and bend. I googled plastic sales and found a company not to far from where I work. I'm pretty sure you can buy similar from the big box hardware guys, just smaller sheets. It is almost indestructible. It wouldn't hold up on its own though, too flimsy. But screwing it down with the plywood underneath makes it work well. Being rough on one side also helps a lot.
Right. My plan would be to add traction and reinforce the 1/4" plywood I have already at the face of my ramp. I love that your stuff has some grip.
I mentioned earlier that I had looked for a 4x8 rug or outdoor carpet like astroturf or similar to add traction but didn't want to spend $40 more at that time.
@crimsonfancy If I can get it produced without a fortune of investment, yes. I'd like to make 2 different styles. Both better than the discount ramps. We'll see what happens!
Holler if I can help. I like it.

Did a quick search, and found out that it's ABS plastic. The place I visited sold them in 4 x 8 sheets, but they had all kind of off cuts from custom jobs.

I'll be testing my ramp tomorrow. Any suggestions as to which truck should go first? Kraton, Talion, Typhon, Granite, BRCC (Noto on the shelf).
20190520_211356.jpg
20190520_211404.jpg
20190520_211411.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back