Kraton K6s EXB - 1650kv, Hot-Racing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 8S
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Senton 3s
INTRO

I completed my Senton to Big Rock conversion the other day and I have been ordering parts to build an EXB. I decided to try out hot racing parts so I’ve ordered mostly everything they have for the EXB.

I started tearing the rear of the truck down today. End result is one removed the rear bulk head and everything attached to it. I’m waiting on parts to reassemble it.

I’ve never done this before so I’m excited to learn a lot! Soldering, ESC tuning, gear ratios, differential fluid swaps and shimming, etc.

AAE71152-D630-4E20-9046-C8142AE86C8F.jpeg

PARTS LIST

Kraton EXB Roller

Hot-Racing:
  • AON12C01: Bulkhead Cover
  • AON12E01: Bulkhead
  • AON311M01: Sway Bar Mounts
  • AON21M01: Steering Blocks HD
  • AON22M01: Rear Hubs HD
  • ANN12RM01: Center Brace Rear Mount
  • AON08FF01: Front Lower Front Suspension Arm Mount "A"
  • AON08FR01: Front Lower Rear Suspension Arm Mount "B"
  • AON09RF01: Rear Lower Front Suspension Arm Mount "C"
  • AON09RR01: Rear Lower Rear Suspension Arm Mount "D"
  • AON40U01: Wing Buttons
  • ANN12FM01: Center Brace Front Mount
  • ANN14RN01: Upper Chassis Brace Rod Ends
  • AON08FFB02: Super Basher Front Bumper Mount
  • ANN38A02: Center Differential EZM Mount
  • ANN38C01: Center Differential Cover
  • AON331M08: Steel Skid Plate Set
  • AON48SH25: 25T Servo Arm
  • NRO10N02: 17mm Serrated Close End Dirt Shield Wheel Nuts Arrma Nero

3DRC Wing Mount: Black

Wheels & Tires:
  • PRO1015510: Pro-Line Belted MX38 Trenchers

Servo:
  • SW-2290SG-BE: Savox Waterproof Premium Brushless Digital Servo (Black)

ESC & Motor:
  • CSE010-0165-02: Castle Creations Mamba Monster X 8S 1/6 ESC/Motor Combo w/1717 Sensored Motor (1650kV)
  • CSE011-0135-00: Castle Creations B Link Bluetooth Adapter

Receiver:

Radio:
  • SPMR5025: Spektrum DX5 Pro

Pinion Gear(s):
  • Saga Customs 18, 20, & 22 tooth pinion gears

Ordered but not (yet) installed:
  • HRAAON133XC: HD Bearing Wheelie Bar Set - currently lost in the mail
  • AON40M01: Wing Mount - Went with 3DRC instead
  • AON12WM01: Rear Brace and Wing Mount - hasn't arrived in mail yet
  • AON4801: Steering Bellcrank - lost in mail
  • AON08FU01: Front Upper Suspension Arm Mount - didnt seem to fit? Idk.. kept with EXB part
  • AON1101: Differential Carrier Case - Decided not to take apart the diffs just yet
  • AON11ETN02: Modular Differential Case - Decided not to take apart the diffs just yet
  • AON331M08: Steel Skid Plate Set - Rear installed, front does not really make sense with EXB Super Basher Bumper
  • SPMSS6280: Standard Digital HV Ultra Torque High Speed Waterproof Metal Gear Surface Servo - went with Savox instead

0E2F157E-2B88-4003-9B72-E4386582AB08.jpeg

1F7F9D1C-D56F-44AC-BBE0-006A80D3076F.jpeg

Wish me luck…

Last edited:
Nice rig there. :love: Everything looks great with one exception.
I would be leary about the HR Alloy wing mounts. You want wing mounts to Flex. Prevents more expensive damage to the rear bulkhead , stripped screws etc. and shock tower. RPM's or stockers I stayed with.
Those belted Trenchers are very heavy?:unsure:
Just me.

Looking like it's shaping up to be a good build. I enjoy wrenching more than driving, and I LOVE driving!

started on the front steering hubs this morning.

3DFEF384-A03E-4908-9FD7-48C26F5F863C.jpeg

Not sure what’s going on here but the pivot balls don’t seem to fit.

*scratching head*

Update: Just had to push harder and wiggle them.

5C088ECE-A8A2-452A-B875-535C2595FEF3.jpeg

Last edited:
Today I installed the rear hinge pin support and 3DRC wing mount. Thanks for the heads up - definitely don’t want screws broken off in the bulkhead. This thing has flex!! Then I started bolting things back up to the chassis.

Rear end is coming together!
9BA0A769-BD8A-4B55-950E-EF0F743B02F5.jpeg

04DC707E-D4C6-4B62-B267-73D81EC37BB4.jpeg

3B5CD4E3-DFAE-44E5-AFA9-EEAE20622125.jpeg

The rest of my stuff for the build is here too.

DAB9B902-69D1-43AD-B826-11A9BA85A78A.jpeg

I may have a little bit of a problem when it comes to spending money. Some of these boxes also contain parts for an 8S.

🤷🏼‍♂️ I don’t own an 8S….

At least not yet.

Nice build there.

How did 8s stuff end up in the mix?
Kind of throwing me for a loop on that one.:LOL:
8s electrics perhaps?????

Nice build there.

How did 8s stuff end up in the mix?
Kind of throwing me for a loop on that one.:LOL:
8s electrics perhaps??

Im a sucker for a sale. I got a deal on a XLX2 1100kv combo and was just going to put it away for later. That turned into me looking at 1/5 scale rollers, 4S batteries, 1/5 scale servos, etc…

Im a sucker for a sale. I got a deal on a XLX2 1100kv combo and was just going to put it away for later. That turned into me looking at 1/5 scale rollers, 4S batteries, 1/5 scale servos, etc…
I find myself doing that sometimes. "Oh, well I can't pass up on that deal," turns into spending another $800 on building something that I didn't really have a plan for.

I think I might have the same problem as you lol
Oh, go to your account details and post the link to this thread in the Arrma Forum Thread Link which will be easy accessible for others to find your build and also you will get a shiny badge ;) It's located right below "About You"

Last edited:
The front Diff seems to be binding but not all the time. It’s like when the input gear hits a certain section on the differential gears. This was happening before I even removed it from the original bulkhead, though.

I have a spare Diff in the way so I’ll see what that one feels like before ruining it and may swap it out.

Finished up the back end and getting close with the front end, too!

DB8DD210-75BC-4498-9C33-A128792E52F8.jpeg

The Savox is tall and the wires come out of the side. I was unable to fit the servo mount without first disassembling the servo.

savox 2.jpg

The included 2mm blocks were thick enough so that I don't have to purchase an extended height mount.

savox1.jpg

I started messing around with the ESC and Motor, trying to decide how to run wires and etc. I ordered 18T and 22T pinions from Saga Custom RC.

mmx8s and 1717-1650kv.jpg

Ive seen many different gearing combinations being run but of course my driving style and combination of parts will ultimately decide what is best. I don't plan on doing jumps with this truck. I will use my less expensive Big Rock or my other Kraton for that. I have no experience here so anyone feel free to comment on where you would start.

I did order a fan mount and 2x 40mm Reedy fans. So I will have some cooling.

Things I am waiting for in the mail:

-AON4801: HR Steering Bellcrank: wrong part was delivered, replacement part got lost in the mail - we'll see if/when it makes it here
-PHMount03: Powerhobby Aluminum Motor Mount 30-40MM for Twister Fans (47-49MM)
-ASC27458: Reedy 40mm Aluminum HV Motor Cooling Fan
-Pinion Gears
-MMX8S Mount from eBay

Little reminder to myself that I need to loctite the rear axle grub screws and check slop in rear gearbox as my shims came in.

Well, Amazon has sent me the wrong part multiple times now. I ordered the Bellcrank but they keep sending me steering knuckles. So, I decided to move forward and if they finally figure out what's wrong on their end I will take the front-end apart again.

Bolted the Savox in and assembled the rest of the front-end. Decided to put my wheels together, too.

wheel2.jpg

servo.jpg

Next I will solder the connectors on the MMX8S. I have soldered a few times in my life but never something like this.

soldering stuff.jpg

I was planning on going with IC5 connectors for this build.

Castle's website says:

The Mamba Monster X 8s has 6.5mm bullet connectors directly on the ESC and the battery input wires are bare. You must solder the connector of choice to the battery leads. We recommend a high-current connector rated for 70+ amps.

and

Poor quality battery connectors can be a roadblock to performance. Avoid the common “white plastic” connectors seen on many battery packs. A high-performance brushless setup will draw many times the power that these connectors can safely handle. Invest in connector sets made for high-powered electric systems such as our CC Bullets, Castle Polarized Connectors, Traxxas® Power Connectors, FlightPower Star™ Plug, or Deans® Ultra Plugs. Your Castle ESC has motor connectors on the motor wires or directly on the ESC and the battery input wires are bare. You must add the connector of your choice to the battery leads. We recommend a connector rated for 40-100 amps, depending on your setup. Check the amperage ratings of your connectors to make sure they meet the amperage requirements for your application, e.g., don’t use 40 amp connectors on a 1/5th scale setup.

When I build a 1/5th scale 8S rig I will absolutely use QS8 connectors. However, based on the above, it looks like IC5 is okay for this application? If not, let me know. I really want to keep my 3S and 6S trucks on IC5 so I can use the Spektrum batteries in all of those vehicles. I will never run 8S through this.

Senton & Big Rock run on Spektrum hard-pack 5000mah 50C/100C's (2S/3S).
My other Kraton has Firma 150 stuff in it and IC5's

Screwed up real bad soldering.

First time I forgot the caps. Had to de-solder.
Second time I melted the connector and put one on backwards. Sigh.
Third times a charm I guess.

About to plug it in for the first time!

esc.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back