Kraton K6s EXB - 1650kv, Hot-Racing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It turns on!!! :D Im excited.
It's blank at the end...try to stretch the insolation down until you won't see the wire. I know it's the Negative one but still lol
I'll probably electrical tape it for now and fix it properly later.

Getting there...

almost cropped.jpg

Pinion gears came today! I ordered 18, 20, and 22 from Saga. I installed the 20T today. I still need my ESC mount but I was able to bind my remote and setup my steering end-points and etc.

receiver.jpg

First "drive" video. Warning: Boring.

My Castle direct wire and my motor fan came.

Everything is mounted up and I’ve test driven it around the house.

3367CBA9-CACD-4743-835B-5711F02650FE.jpeg

I’ll go over it again when it starts to get warmer out and all of the salt is off the roads. Now on to the 8S…

2EC65CAF-63A1-42AE-A225-1D64B9F33468.jpeg

Took this thing out for its first rip today. Had some bad luck.

The motor was spinning in the wrong direction. Took me a bit to figure it out but I plugged in the Bluetooth link and reconfigured it to spin in reverse. Apparently when I set it up I tried to fix it by setting reverse on the remote but that just meant it was spinning in reverse when going forward. It ran faster in reverse 😆

Since it was reversed, when I was driving forward and hit the brakes it tried to launch backwards instead of applying brake. It immediately did a front flip. Broke the wing mount screws, even with the 3DRC wing mount, within minutes of the first run.

Finally I got it running correctly and just about pooped my pants when I let it rip! Holy moly this thing is way too fast for me!!

Ended up doing a 60mph tumble down the street. The 3D printed ESC mount broke and let my ESC loose.

There are plenty of lessons here for me. Among them, I learned that my skill level is more Big Rock than it is kraton. When I have time to figure out what all is broken I’ll take fix it up but for now it’s going to be shelved.

Last edited:
I started to tear into it. The switch mount is busted off. The sides kind of sandwich the esc in there. It was also taped. Apparently not enough for an intense crash.

If there was direct contact with the esc or mount when the truck hit anything I would understand. I don’t think that’s really possible though. The control arms and tires stick out at the side. I can’t imagine this happening with the M2C mount for the xlx2 but the mmx8s doesn’t have screw holes in it so how are you supposed to properly mount it? i didn’t want to use zip ties. The rpm cage looks solid but that was designed for the 8s I think. Time to do some research.

1647516940724.png

The whole front end has slop. Now I understand why I read about people going through and shimming things other than differentials. That little bit of wobble on the bench can turn into a high speed vibration at speed.

The wheel hex is also stuck in the wheel. So I unscrewed the adapter. Pic for understanding. I tried all sorts of things but looking from the back it’s twisted and dug into the plastic.

1647517028474.png

To be honest with myself I am not sure I was ready for a truck like this but this is how I have learned my entire life. I’m like a Bull in a China shop. I dive into hobbies head first and break a whole bunch of things. Yeah you pay for it but you learn a poop ton in the process.
I guess I’ll stay away from 60mph tumbles😂
The wing mount screws are just what they are... call it what you want, a design flaw or par for the course or whatever, it seems like you're going to break 'em if you're landing on the wing and it is pulling things away from the chassis. The truck weighs probably 20lbs. Suddenly applying 20lbs of pressure is enough to break human bones. A few 2mm screws....

As for the ESC mount, I don't want to bash it. Err well I want to bash WITH it but I don't want to say it's a bad product. I've watched the RC guys racing their trucks on dirt tracks and guys on youtube launching their trucks and the thing is they have a controlled landing. It is the only thing, other than the wing mount, that broke buuuut is it really fair to say after one tumble like this that it's a bad product? No. Things break when you crash. I would have expected to break an arm or something but maybe next time, assuming i replaced it with another 4d mount, it would be something else. So again, bad product? No, not saying that.

Last edited:
I taped the ESC down and strapped some zip ties around it so I could take it out with the boy. We both really got to experience the 6S trucks together for the first time. There is a park near by with a huge hill in the middle that we decided to go to. He got a really neat photo of me at the top with my truck flying by as the sun was going down!

17F19ABC-4A8B-4DA9-934C-6A49113E4916.jpeg

My servo died and he broke his wing off but man did we have so much fun!!!

This is getting pretty expensive though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back