Kraton Bullet Proof diff question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 4679 Cracked open son's Typhon center diff to check for carnage and why last bash ended in rear wheel drive only. Another failed planetary gear, pin was intact, should have shimmed his with TD planetary shims, just hadn't gotten to it yet. Granted last bash was over the top, borderline RC abuse, terrain was too big for buggy, but that little Typhon still kicked butt. It really is a compact, tough mini beast. I went ahead and truggified it with Kraton axels, hex's, hubs, and Proline 3.8s so my son can hang better with Kraton and Outcast on bigger terrain. Note to self, shim diffs before breakage, cheaper that way....Lol.
Was he running 4s, and how many of those have failed on you? Also do you find the outdrives so poorly machined that you need to pry the planetary gears off, or need players to remove them completely from the diff case? I have had almost 30 models in the past ten years and never had such weird issues before. Build them and forget them... no issues!

Was he running 4s, and how many of those have failed on you? Also do you find the outdrives so poorly machined that you need to pry the planetary gears off, or need players to remove them completely from the diff case? I have had almost 30 models in the past ten years and never had such weird issues before. Build them and forget them... no issues!
Pliers

View attachment 4679 Cracked open son's Typhon center diff to check for carnage and why last bash ended in rear wheel drive only. Another failed planetary gear, pin was intact, should have shimmed his with TD planetary shims, just hadn't gotten to it yet. Granted last bash was over the top, borderline RC abuse, terrain was too big for buggy, but that little Typhon still kicked butt. It really is a compact, tough mini beast. I went ahead and truggified it with Kraton axels, hex's, hubs, and Proline 3.8s so my son can hang better with Kraton and Outcast on bigger terrain. Note to self, shim diffs before breakage, cheaper that way....Lol.
Rich I have not shim'ed none of my diffs,do they all need to be shim'ed or should I just have look and investigate each one?
Should I just order the td planetary shims or would you suggest any other parts as well? I've also seen a box of spare fixings for the outcast on ebay,it looks good and I know at some point I will need it,just don't wanna pay for it lol

Sheesh! Remind me not to let you ever run my rc's! Lol. I'm reconsidering my desire for my daughter to grow up wanting to bash with me as well! Rc cars equal time and money. I've had my Kraton in pieces for like two weeks now. Started with just wanting to swap the pinion turned into tuning all the diffs, then replace all the bearings with avids, then swap on a new esc. I just need to get it back together and run the thing.
You're just like me, I bought my kraton used about 3 months ago, have replaced or modified or rebuilt just about everything, it has spent way more time on my desk taken apart, and I still haven't even run 10 packs through it! I have found that I enjoy building, tuning and modifying as enjoyable as driving these things. I can't drive stock, must mod!

Rich I have not shim'ed none of my diffs,do they all need to be shim'ed or should I just have look and investigate each one?
Should I just order the td planetary shims or would you suggest any other parts as well? I've also seen a box of spare fixings for the outcast on ebay,it looks good and I know at some point I will need it,just don't wanna pay for it lol
Check each one. I shimmed mine then ended up taking shims out after three packs, I only left the shims behind the planetary gears. Plenty tight. I think overly tight diffs is why I keep breaking pins.

Pliers
He was running 4s, but we had a complete damage bash that got out of hand, his truck collided with the Kraton at least twice, and rolled ridiculously jumping up and down a rough embankment over and over. I've had to use pliers to remove gears...etc also as some tolerances are so tight. First breakage at all for his Typhon, been tough as nails. I think diff just needs planetary shimming so it can't slip sideways off outdrive pin.

I agree with CL's post. Think Thomas P did diff bulletproofing vid because of diff failures related to hard impacts/heavy bashing...Etc. I usually don't upgrade until parts fail. This is only the second gear breakage I've had, both on Typhon center diffs. I do think taking slop out of planetary gears with single shim is a good idea to avoid failure.

I'd only consider it unless I needed to. Gears need to mesh just right and trying to push higher cst oil through that smaller gap between the gears means lube can't get in there fast enough to be affective, overloading everything inside. Something's got to give...

On my Kraton i serviced my front diff to find the planatery shim bowed up towards the gear.That comes from not enough clearance in the diff cups and they bind and push the diff drive inward.I added plastic quad prop sleeves in between the arms and steering ball studs and also had to readjust the steering linkages for front end alignment.My Kraton had enough clearance when new but something wore enough to cause problems.

I've seen the way Thomas P bashes his Arrma fleet. I don't think there is anyone doing it any harder. If his rigs hold up under that abuse, I'm onboard shimming the way he does!!!
Do you know what diff oils he uses?

2.2mm correct ?
Yes 2.2mm. Not bashing Arrma, I know they have to cut corners to make these units cheap. But these pins are the smallest I've ever used. I've rebuilt/shimmed hundreds of diffs, and these are the smallest pins I've ever seen on a 1/8 vehicle.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back