Senton Buyer beware

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grasshopper72

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Senton 6s
So I just wanted to share an experience from Ed over at Fast Eddie's bearings. The picture below shows the two bad bearings and the others that I was cleaning. I don't use wd-40 or any other type if cleaner. I just wipe clean then spray with a Protectant/lubricant(pictured). These bearings are less than a month old and only 4 packs on them. This was the first time I've removed and cleaned them since(I've only been running dry runs). The second picture is their response. Am I wrong in thinking that they should replace these two bearings? Seemingly they don't want to stand behind their product, and rather blame it on user error. I just put these bearings in! Im new again but shouldn't bearings lost a little longer. Especially if taken care of?

Attachments

• 20200322_155510.jpg
    20200322_155510.jpg
    379.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 20200324_091333.jpg
    20200324_091333.jpg
    462 KB · Views: 80
I think you are quite exaggerating with this buyer beware post.
All i can say is that bearings wear and it's best to do nothing apart from installing them. Grease wil create a film on the outside, which attracts dirt, let it be there. Throwing any kind of fluid on it will get the dirt in.
So based on what you tell and show me i agree with Ed.

So I just wanted to share an experience from Ed over at Fast Eddie's bearings. The picture below shows the two bad bearings and the others that I was cleaning. I don't use wd-40 or any other type if cleaner. I just wipe clean then spray with a Protectant/lubricant(pictured). These bearings are less than a month old and only 4 packs on them. This was the first time I've removed and cleaned them since(I've only been running dry runs). The second picture is their response. Am I wrong in thinking that they should replace these two bearings? Seemingly they don't want to stand behind their product, and rather blame it on user error. I just put these bearings in! Im new again but shouldn't bearings lost a little longer. Especially if taken care of?
Unfortunately, when we run on dirt and mud, etc, bearings go bad quickly, despite taking care of them. That goes for all bearing brands. Sometimes I hear my bearings squeaking after just one run. Part of the wear and tear.

I'd have to agree with their response to you. Wipe them if you must, that is all.

Omg 4 packs!!!! That’s the ugliest bearings I’ve ever seen. It’s not the bearings. I buy most bearings off amazon in bulk. They are crappy bearings I know that but I maintain them a few times a season. I can get easily two seasons out of a set of bearings.
don't think you’ll get much support his bearings are good and will last for years.
I used your discount code.
J/k

I'm going to play devils advocate here.
These RC bearings we get from several sources can be defective out the gate. Jims, FE, TRBRC, even Avid and others. When new, I spin test them, spool them up on a drill. I have found defective ones out of the box. If you don't inspect/Test them well before installing, you may find a bearing fail after its installed. Frustrating yes. FE has bad support IMO. TRBRC has better support. He may work with you. He did with me. 2 bearings that failed on my drill brand new before installing them. Seals popped and one had blown out the cage. Clearly defective.
RC bearings are cheap gumball disposable items in this hobby. They are cheaply made. They average $1.00/bearing for us. You know these truly cost pennies to mfr. There is little QC with these bearings. Defective seals and cages can blow out when new. RC bearings go through very much abuse. Radial force mostly at the outer wheel hubs cause those bearings to fail first. IMO. I always recommend spinning them up when new FIRST. Make sure all the seals are pressed into place. Use your fingers as some are not seated well enough.(again poor QC)
RC bearings will always be replaced. Some sooner than later. Just part of RC. It will make sense to purchase certain size bearings in bulk packs. As you learn your rig more, you will know which bearings will get replaced more. Maintenance is key also. Some lubes may even contribute to bad wear/short life. IMO.
TRBRC advised me to spin up all my new bearings first. He acknowledged what I stated above. The owner is a reasonable guy. Family business. Knows very much about bearings and the industry. spoke with him for quite some length. I learned alot from him and how bearings are sourced.
edit:
The only way to service bearings is to remove the seals to clean and relube them. Other wise just give a quick wipe and let them keep running. If you try to spray them down etc with seals in place, dirt will ingress and brick that bearing real fast.:cool: FE is correct in his assertion.

Last edited:
It’s a cheap bearing. Not worth all the fuss IMO.

OTOH, how much would it cost FE to pop a few bearing in the mail along with the proper info on how to maintain them. ??‍♂️

Thanks guys. Im a newbie and guess I expected more out of the product and support. I thought I was taking good care if them. Sounds like giving it a high speed spin test is a good idea before installing.

Every time before I install a new bearing I pop the seals and fill with grease.
(y)I also go that extra step. And its usually the outer hub bearings that get this extra attention. I just make sure to only use a bit of extra grease. If FULLY packed with grease, I find it will blow a seal and the cages. And galling of the races and balls occur prematurely.
I find that some new bearings come dry as a bone. Poor QC.

I think you just had a faulty bearing if you go trought water put grease in the bearings and not oil coat the bearings with grease its going to build a bit of dirt but let it be there it seals your bearings even more lol. But check you bearings when you reveive them sometimes they come dry out of the box. A bearing should last a long time i had 6 months old bearings from amainhobbies and decided to buy a complete new set and remplace everything and a lot of them are still fine it comes to how you use your rc if you run trough water/mud and leave it socking wet well it might start to rust the bearings and worst case locking up

If you like water, take every new bearing apart and put 1/3 filled with Marine grease. It the only hope you have against water. Not a 100% remedy, but gives the bearings a little more hope/use. SS bearings are the only answer for wet conditions, yet still normally wear out the same just not because of rusting races and balls.. IMO even well greased chromium bearings rust real quick. SS is still best for snow and water. SS is hard to find in kit form.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back