Bye bye General Lee ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good thing it's a toy, I've seen people blow tires, mostly rears on their real cars with quarter panel damage that would make you sick. Mostly kids that couldn't afford new tires and smoked them to the cords.
Yeah my rear tyres blew out on my cayenne. That was carnage. Rear bumper, rear wheel liners and wiring harness. ?‍♂️

Daaaaaaamn! Never thought a tire could do that much damage, but got me thinking what happens when a 1:1 commercial truck tire goes. Rubber shrapnel does hella damage. Not sure how you feel about this, but I would buy small orange zip ties, and do a stitch fix of this body. Would look bad ass and you could just keep going til the body gets real worn out. Too nice of a job to shelf it already.

Daaaaaaamn! Never thought a tire could do that much damage, but got me thinking what happens when a 1:1 commercial truck tire goes. Rubber shrapnel does hella damage. Not sure how you feel about this, but I would buy small orange zip ties, and do a stitch fix of this body. Would look bad ass and you could just keep going til the body gets real worn out. Too nice of a job to shelf it already.
Yeah it wasn’t even a huge one. I’ll use it for a bash vid. Maybe I’ll do that chase scene with a jump now ?

Last edited:
The several General Lee's needed parts replacements to keep the show going. As a result the set hands building these GL's purchased all the used Chargers they could muster up all over the states. The used Chargers became in limited supply. The show actually destroyed the majority of 1969 chargers out there. That's why a Charger in fair condition is worth so much. There aren't many. The majority were destroyed and became salvage parts for the show. My first car was a '69 charger. Forest Green. My dad passed it on to me when I got my license . He bought it new in 69. It was the family car when I was 10 yo. It had only 13K miles when I started driving it to college. I regret selling it because of a blown Trans. But I had a real hard time getting parts for it because of the show. Even Junk yards were putting a vig on its parts because of the popularity. If you find a one in a barn intact, they are worth $50K untouched. I regret selling it. I tried searching for that car by its vin number to see where it ended up. I think it was destroyed or went salvage. It was always garage kept too. Original paint. No rust. The grille was in perfect condition also. Which is hard to find.
Not for nothing, the Charger was a steaming pile of crap the day it left the factory. Yes, it's one of the most beautiful cars ever designed (along with the other 1969 offerings by the Big 3) and there's nothing like the sound of a 440 cranking over, but they just weren't well made. Unibody with a Hemi? Really?

The 2nd gen Charger was representative of all the offerings of the big 3 in the '70's. Quality and build wise. Fit and finish. No better or worse for similar sized vehicles and powerplants. Unibody was fine for the era. Assembly lines of the big 3 were on par with each other. I would say GM had the edge for sure on their more upscale offerings. The Charger was successful at Daytona FWIW. It broke many Nascar rules as well, being progressive in its design.
1 put 140k miles on it. And I will say it was probably the worst handling car I have owned for sure. It was a boat and very long. But most buyers serious into them used them for Drag racing. That was the how they were driven for the most part. I worked on many cars of that era. I can say that the Charger was no better or worse than the others. And I found myself wrenching on my friends GM's and Fords more often than my Charger. ( Chevel's Novas Stangs etc.)
The front Torsion bar suspension was one of it's down falls IMHO. I snapped one of them.
I participated in a restoration of an untouched '59 Corvette and the fit and finish and drive capability was way worse. Drives horrible. Yet it is very popular as old Vettes go.
Graveyard Cars explains the Dodge's and Plyms well.

Blast from the past thread..

From 66-71 bone stock "muscle cars" in real life ran 14-15 sec 1/4 miles with everyday people driving them.. Everyone thought they were fast because there was no such thing as suspension.. Rubber compounds available to the public that were street legal burned up in one hole shot, you could lay patches for miles... All these cars were toilets that I now wish I owned... :p

I had a '67 Deville convertible in college (mid 90s) and it was amazing. Fit and finish was fantastic, rode great, cruised at 100 with ease (429) and was a dream to drive. Unfortunately it was rusty and I ended up getting rid of it. I currently have a '69 Charger 440/4spd and the rust has come at it like a vengeance. Considering the cost to replace the affected metal, I'm seriously thinking about getting rid of it and getting another 80s G body.

I have a '77 Seville, ready for paint, full interior and vinyl roof. All else has been restored to spec, engine and undercarriage A tall order at this juncture that I consider stopping where I am and sell as is for whatever. Mine has zero rust. 107k original miles and original owner clean title. Most old cars have no resale. Not great investments at all. The ones you see at Mecum etc, are not drivers. They command much in value. More of a commodity.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back