Typhon Calling all arduino guys!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camaroboy383

Invention is the mother of necessity!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Felony
  3. Outcast 4s
  4. Outcast 6s
  5. Outcast 8s
  6. Typhon 3s
  7. Typhon 6s
Calling all arduino programmers and users alike!

Ok guys, now that I have your attention let's talk about esc's and the sketches compiled to them... esc in reference here will be the blx100 in the 3s line of arrma vehicles...

We as a whole need a way to lower the lvc value from 3.4v to 3.2v, imo 3.4 is to high and is the main cause of needing large lipos to run these 3s rigs.. there should be no reason we need to run a larger expensive lipo to combat the lvc issue many are having... after all, we got the 3s line to keep cost's down, so stomaching a $80 battery cost to be able to get through a full discharge is ludicrous to some...

That being said, we need some arduino wizards to cure this with a compiled sketch that sets the lvc at 3.2v but retains the remaining factory data... I'm sure this can be done with a boot loader and arduino.. the question is how?

I know enough about arduino to get me in trouble, that's about it... lol... (compiling, altering sketches that exist) but how can we pull the factory compiled sketch from the unit and alter the lvc then upload the revised sketch?

Anyone here in the know? Multi rotor esc's are programmed daily by users, why do we (surface users) not have this ability at out finger tips like the quad guys?

So again, calling all arduino guru's!

If you don't have any joy with hacking the firmware.. The LVC is probably hardware hackable, usually a case of replacing an existing resistor to lower it.

Last edited:
I’m a tech geek but this is over my head. I’m not really a software/code type of guy. I can manipulate easy languages like HTML and CSS, but when it comes to real languages, I’m out. I don’t have the attention span required.

If you don't have any joy with hacking the firmware.. The LVC is probably hardware hackable, usually a case of replacing an existing resistor to lower it.

My thought on this is the resistive circuit would be activated through the firmware... changing the resistor may just get rid of the limp mode completely....but I'm not sure ..

I mean we can always set the esc up on the nimh setting to delete the lvc circuit, and run a lipo alarm to sound at the given 3.2v.. issue is if at any point you don't have an alarm connection you risk the chance of wasting the lipo with a voltage drop below 3.0v

My thought on this is the resistive circuit would be activated through the firmware... changing the resistor may just get rid of the limp mode completely....but I'm not sure ..

I mean we can always set the esc up on the nimh setting to delete the lvc circuit, and run a lipo alarm to sound at the given 3.2v.. issue is if at any point you don't have an alarm connection you risk the chance of wasting the lipo with a voltage drop below 3.0v

Not sure either , quite possibly...why is that bad?

Thats certainly what happens in this video..

See also.. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?129859-SUN4001-LVC-Hack

See also.. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?129859-SUN4001-LVC-Hack

Why is what bad? The lvc being disabled? If this what your refering to, we don't need to make hardware changes to disable it.. that's as simple as setting the esc to nimh, no need for opening the sealed unit to achieve that...

We still need lvc, for battery protection purposes...we just need it triggered at different voltages... typically through firmware sketches...

Last edited:
The limp mode isn't the issue, wether it just shuts off or limps home.. it still has dipped below the lvc voltage..

Why do we need an Arduino anyways? Is it because you know the programming language? Or does it have a hardware interface that is needed that a PC doesn’t have?

I knew a guy who hacked a max5 esc and removed the current limiting. Sadly he lost his battle with cancer and took that info to the grave. He did say it was a matter of loading a text type config data file.

That is unfortunate.. sounds like he was a smart man..

This is good info, and now makes me wonder if it is solely a hardware thing.. thanks for sharing these links...
Why do we need an Arduino anyways? Is it because you know the programming language? Or does it have a hardware interface that is needed that a PC doesn’t have?

I'm not sure we do need it, really only the manufacturer could answer that question.. it depends on how they flash thier firmware.. but either way an arduino can conquer the task's... very similar to flashing firmware to a 3d printer with arduino..

Last edited:
I’m a tech geek but this is over my head. I’m not really a software/code type of guy. I can manipulate easy languages like HTML and CSS, but when it comes to real languages, I’m out. I don’t have the attention span required.
+1

This is good info, and now makes me wonder if it is solely a hardware thing.. thanks for sharing these links...

Yeah, well firmware recompiling would be the correct way to do it but thats only easy if you have the means.
Personally, I'd fool it into providing a lower LVC via a hardware mod... but only because I'm not really a software guy.

That is exactly what we need!
I will be purchasing one to give it a try.. but does anyone know what the blx100 is a clone of?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back