Calling All Drone Experts!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jr744

Reaction score
I have a DJI Mini Mavic and it's fun. It flies well, I get nice photos and videos, and the battery life is amazing. I want something that's faster and more nimble, but I don't know anything about drones. What brands, models, batteries to use, etc. Can anyone recommend a Fast and Fun Drone??!! I don't really care for, or want the FPV option.

Well why DJI is so easy to fly is because they are deemed a "Arial Video Platform" aka areal camera so the software does most of the flying for you in the way of compensating for wind etc. I would suggest checking into a FPV quad racer. There will be a learning curve but not to crazy and with the experience you already have you should be fine. You can also check into DJI's FPV rig as well. You can also check out Yuneec as well. Here is a good place to start, I'm sure he has a beginners Video you just need to look for it,
Josh Bardwell's YT Channel
Check out Race Day Quads to start

Last edited:
DJI mavic is 'fly to film' while FPV is 'film to fly'. For me FPV is the whole immersive effect that "line of sight" does not offer at all.

My picks:
Small >250gram 3.5" FPV drone: EMAX Babyhawk II HD
Bigger superfast allround 5": iFlight Nazgul v2
Both require DJI FPV goggles and a good air Tx (tons of different protocols, I just switched to ELRS2 myself)

Just learning to fly, entry level analog RTF starter kits are the way to go, whoops and toothpicks models that are very forgiving like:
Eachine novice III v2 RTF kit
EMAX Tinyhawk II RTF kit
You will soon find these Tx and goggles are entry level and don't offer the best experience, but it's a lot cheaper and good enough to start with

I have a DJI Mini Mavic and it's fun. It flies well, I get nice photos and videos, and the battery life is amazing. I want something that's faster and more nimble, but I don't know anything about drones. What brands, models, batteries to use, etc. Can anyone recommend a Fast and Fun Drone??!! I don't really care for, or want the FPV option.
I'd recommend a flight simulator prog before you go buy a semi expensive drone and fly it 3D expert. If you don't want FPV at first and can find one, the traxxas (yeah I said it) ATON can provide great vids with the right camera hanging off the gimbal, FAST and expert 3D modes. Capable of about 70MPH. Runs on a 3s 5000 MAH car bat.

I started on a 5in lumenier 210 I built. Watched a lot of vids on YouTube for help.. it wasn't bad at all if you can solder. It's deff extremely fast but I managed to catch on fast.
Race day quads is a good site as well as getfpv.com
20180421_122715.jpg

Been testing my "cine-cruiser" a freestyle 5" dailed down for smooth filming with a insta360 go2 with horizon lock. The digital roll stabilization sometimes behaves a little odd. But if it comes down to grabbing 10-20s of smooth high speed flight footage for cinematics, this is great ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back