Calling all mmx8s 2028 owners

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDad

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Outcast 8s
Ok. Heres where I’m at. About ready to pull the trigger and I’m 99% sure I’m going with the mmx8s and 2028 800kv set up as opposed to the max5 56113. First of all I just wanted to get the general consensus that thats the right choice. Don’t get me wrong, I have a max5 with a leopard 5698 in my xmaxx that have been trouble free. One big concern is IF something were to go south I have heard that hobbywing is about as helpful as my wife by just saying “YOU must have done something wrong.” On the other hand I’ve heard that castle can be very helpful. Does this sound accurate? Next I’m kinda curious about gearing combos. I plan on ordering the pps slider to start off. I believe that the largest pinion it will accept is a 44t. Now I’ve read about trying to stay close to a 1:1 and using the limitless spools. I will mostly be running in grass and street or parking lots Wheelies are a must as mostly running with my boy, and I definitely have to be faster. Is a 44t pinion going to be suffice? Would the 39/39 limitless spools be a better choice? 34/34? Just looking for a good starting point without smoking anything. I have a set of power hobby 8000 120c. Hopefully they will be sufficient. Looking for input from the guys that know. I’ve been trying to read as much as I can and I’m no more sure than when I started. Thanks in advance for any help and guidance

34/34 and 39/39 will yield you the same 1:1 result..

The Pps mount with a 39T is what I run on mine with this combo (800kv) Mmx8s.

It has good speed, some like faster... it will wheelie on grippy surfaces with ease. If the surface has little grip the torque just spins the wheels..

The most important bit for wheelies is going through your center diff.. especially with all the added power, it will be a must.

In the center diff, I filled mine 1/2 with 20million and 1/2 silicone earplug. This seemed to be a winning combo with just enough give to keep the drivetrain safe.

As for customer service I’ve experienced the same. HW sucks Castle is much better.

As for the kv choices.. 1100 will get you more top end with not as much grunt on the bottom. And the 800kv will be your torque monster (the wheelies you want). If this was my desire I’d go with the 800kv..

Check my Build, it runs the same setting you are about to choose.
As for handling, fun, wheelies, speed, etc. you wont be disappointed.
As for Arrma services, I have not been disappointed neither.
Have fun :)

I'm running the mmx8s 800kv combo with 35t pinion and 39t spur. Seems to be the best bet for me temp wise. Also have a castle blower.

Ok. Heres where I’m at. About ready to pull the trigger and I’m 99% sure I’m going with the mmx8s and 2028 800kv set up as opposed to the max5 56113. First of all I just wanted to get the general consensus that thats the right choice. Don’t get me wrong, I have a max5 with a leopard 5698 in my xmaxx that have been trouble free. One big concern is IF something were to go south I have heard that hobbywing is about as helpful as my wife by just saying “YOU must have done something wrong.” On the other hand I’ve heard that castle can be very helpful. Does this sound accurate? Next I’m kinda curious about gearing combos. I plan on ordering the pps slider to start off. I believe that the largest pinion it will accept is a 44t. Now I’ve read about trying to stay close to a 1:1 and using the limitless spools. I will mostly be running in grass and street or parking lots Wheelies are a must as mostly running with my boy, and I definitely have to be faster. Is a 44t pinion going to be suffice? Would the 39/39 limitless spools be a better choice? 34/34? Just looking for a good starting point without smoking anything. I have a set of power hobby 8000 120c. Hopefully they will be sufficient. Looking for input from the guys that know. I’ve been trying to read as much as I can and I’m no more sure than when I started. Thanks in advance for any help and guidance
I run that in my Kraton 8s with a 44t. I can go larger because I have the M2C mount and large pinion slide. 44 is good. Could go bigger though for extra wheel speed. The combo itself is awesome. And I think Castle is easier to deal with than HW when it comes to warranty.

Castle is way more advanced in the technology end of the esc and motor. The adjustments and settings castle has in the castle link is amazing. The hobbywing stuff is tried and true but castle gets my vote. I have both. Mmx8s 800kv 2028 and a hobbywing 56113 max5 both in separate xmaxx’s.

I have the mmx8s 800kv combo. And it pushes that truck AWESOME. I have 20 million Center 1 mil.rear and 500 front. I feel you are using the right batteries cuz I think some guys use 5000mah 50c on that system and it is just not enough. I have tried the 44 tooth a 42 tooth and 39 tooth on the 47 spur and was not happy with them. The 44 and forty-two made the batteries run extremely hot and also the motor. And that is with the castle fans on the motor. And top speed with Badlands on it on the road at 63mph with the 42 tooth but it ran too hot. Had balls to the wall and wheelie on demand. I then watch the video by Rich duper bash and ran the 39/39 setup. I also tried the 34/34 and it was too slow for me. So I put it in the 39 39 and my truck is a monster awesome speed have not done a speed test yet and will wheelie on demand with no heat issues. As far as Castle Creations customer service I think is one of the best. I had a wire on the harness showing bare wire where it connected into the ESC I contacted them sent them a picture of my receipt and they sent me a brand new harness with no questions asked. So I give a lot of credit to Castle Creations for the hassle free solve to my problem. I truly hope this has helped you out because I have spent the money on gearing with this system and this is what I found best to work. My biggest complaint about that system with that truck is I cannot keep CVs on the truck the dog bones break constantly but I am not easy and I'm very hard on that truck.
I have the mmx8s 800kv combo. And it pushes that truck AWESOME. I have 20 million Center 1 mil.rear and 500 front. I feel you are using the right batteries cuz I think some guys use 5000mah 50c on that system and it is just not enough. I have tried the 44 tooth a 42 tooth and 39 tooth on the 47 spur and was not happy with them. The 44 and forty-two made the batteries run extremely hot and also the motor. And that is with the castle fans on the motor. And top speed with Badlands on it on the road at 63mph with the 42 tooth but it ran too hot. Had balls to the wall and wheelie on demand. I then watch the video by Rich duper bash and ran the 39/39 setup. I also tried the 34/34 and it was too slow for me. So I put it in the 39 39 and my truck is a monster awesome speed have not done a speed test yet and will wheelie on demand with no heat issues. As far as Castle Creations customer service I think is one of the best. I had a wire on the harness showing bare wire where it connected into the ESC I contacted them sent them a picture of my receipt and they sent me a brand new harness with no questions asked. So I give a lot of credit to Castle Creations for the hassle free solve to my problem. I truly hope this has helped you out because I have spent the money on gearing with this system and this is what I found best to work. My biggest complaint about that system with that truck is I cannot keep CVs on the truck the dog bones break constantly but I am not easy and I'm very hard on that truck.
I have the 800kv because if I ever went to 12s then I have a 12s capable motor. The 1100 KV may give you a little more speed but I don't feel it would be that noticeable I do feel the 800kv is noticeable when it comes to torque and wanting to do wheelies. I will do a Speedtest with the 39/39 gearing in the next week or so and I will post it

I have the 800kv because if I ever went to 12s then I have a 12s capable motor. The 1100 KV may give you a little more speed but I don't feel it would be that noticeable I do feel the 800kv is noticeable when it comes to torque and wanting to do wheelies. I will do a Speedtest with the 39/39 gearing in the next week or so and I will post it
Correct me if I’m wrong, but you said you tried the 34/34 and it was to slow for you and you changed to 39/39. They are both 1:1 so wouldn’t they yield the same results?

Possibly different punch levels and or timing maybe made a difference? Again they are both 1:1

Correct me if I’m wrong, but you said you tried the 34/34 and it was to slow for you and you changed to 39/39. They are both 1:1 so wouldn’t they yield the same results?

The only difference between 34:34 and 39:39 is rotating mass and that's negligible.
True that, @Boodaggy. I'm also a little baffled by the statements mentioned above as a 1:1 gearing should be more demanding than a 44t pinion/47t spur thus create more heat...

True that, @Boodaggy. I'm also a little baffled by the statements mentioned above as a 1:1 gearing should be more demanding than a 44t pinion/47t spur thus create more heat...

So is the 1:1 going to create more heat in the esc or motor? Would the xlx2 800kv be a better combo for running the 1:1 Gearing?

So is the 1:1 going to create more heat in the esc or motor? Would the xlx2 800kv be a better combo for running the 1:1 Gearing?
The more aggressive your gearing is, the higher will be the current drawn by the motor, demanding more from the components, from motor over ESC to batteries. I'm personally running a Hobbywing Max5 with the HW 56113 800kv and a 44t pinion with the stock 47t spur and 4.3 proline trenchers. I managed to get the Max5 to thermal shutdown during warm summer weather and a lot of WOT, but I like the combo so far.
I've heard the castle 2028 combo runs a little cooler than the HW combo. I have a mmx8s in my Limitless and love the ESC, can't talk about the 2028 from personal experience though.
If you have the budget for it, I'd go for the xlx2 since it seems to be a pretty beefed up version of the mmx8s, but seeing the reports from others on here, you'll probably already be well off with the mmx8s combo :)

I run the stock spur with a HW 800kv 39T pinion on 8s and 12s. 49mph 8s and 67mph 12s.

I tried a 2028 MMX8s combo in it, it can crawl at just a bit slower pace being sensored. It's nice BUT In my opinion Its the same ole :poop: as a MAX5 56113, just a different pile.. Couple degrees difference in heat as I read in this thread wouldn't make me sway from one to another.

More than anything else that has me leaning more towards the castle vs hobbywing setup is the customer service. Sure I could save $100+ but IF there were to be an issue down the road and castle is willing to help and hobbywing just wants to point the finger at me for doing something wrong, then that $100+ turns out to be cheap insurance. Always willing to pay a bit more for customer service in the event that questions or issues arise. don't get me wrong, I have a max 5 in my xmaxx that has been trouble free but to be honest at the time the only other option I was aware of was the xlx which had its issues.

I'm not sure why that is. But I can tell you to me it didn't have as much torque as the 39/39 and took longer to get up to speed. I did the 34/34 because I figured smaller gears will run cooler and less abuse on the motor and ESC.

I run the castle MMX8s but with the rocket 56113 780kv, 1:1 and its pretty exciting. I found the motor for under 90$ so I just got the castle esc. If I were getting the castle motor I would for sure get the 1100kv so I could run the stock spur. much more stout setup than the two little spur gears and puny set screws...that being said mine have not let loose yet.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back