Mojave Calling Arrma - We really need/want something like this...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
I have a nomad db8 qhich is amazing and I've just brought the super baja rey 2.0.

Screenshot_20200621-125434_eBay.jpg

Looks great and at first I thought it was a dr8 with kraton parts but then realised its a kraton with a dr8 body.
Ah is it, I'm not sure I brought it on ebay it said it was a team associated db8. Either way it's really quick 6s

Last edited:
We need an Arrma Desert Buggy!
Maybe the group of potential buyers is a lot smaller than form other cars, but when I this vid yesterday I almost bought it.

Options for these in 4s to 6s category are limited: FTX DR8 6s and Reely Raptor 6s (FS Racing 6s neglected due to availability). The Team Associated Nomad 4s is discontinued.
Now this ZD Racing DBX07 (1/7 scale) is entering the field and looks amazing. Both in RTR and KIT available! Only let downs are that there is no spare parts list (or exploded view) let alone finding spare parts.

So Arrma, using the popular Mojave (Desert Truck) as a base, a lot of parts could be generic if you (Arrma) would create a Desert Buggy, making the investment easier to justify than creating a desert buggy from scratch.
Come on Arrma, you want a Desert Buggy in your line up and so do we!(y)

LOL nice car, petty about the driving skills!

MAN, O, MAN I love desert buggy's...
sorry for the rant, but I have been trying to get just the right desert racer and just haven't scratched the itch completely for what I want.
I love the look of desert buggies, rock racers, and anything close!
It started of early in the year when I picked up a ZD racing DB10, I wanted another 10th scale rig to let friends use that didnt look like my short coarse, MT, or buggy's. I think it was $219 shipped. It looks nice but has junk electronics, which I thought about replacing but with little aftermarket hop ups available and stock parts not being particularly robust, its a waste. Truthfully I ran 2 packs through it and may or may not pick it back up, but I REALLY LIKED THE LOOK! I just needed something a better quality and bigger.
I considered the Lasernut next, but it sounded like it had too many teething pains with the YouTube horror stories with gears, axles, Diffs and god knows what else going wrong in the first few packs. With a starting price of $500 plus a few hundred dollars in upgrades getting the weak areas sortie out, it was a $700 plus 10 scale rig... so I passed.
Then I was in my favorite hobby shop and saw the Lost tenacity dbPro desert buggy. up close.. it didn't have the length, tire size, and full on U4 looks, but it had lots of quality parts and seemed a more appropriate use of the tenacity platform. With lots of rave reviews I took one home in the Fox edition. I haven't driven it a lot though. I have lots of other options when I go to the track, which isnt that often anyway and on the more grassy terrain I run on its a little better then most of my buggies it still struggles. its a great rig in the right terrain, but too small for most of the areas I run.
When I saw the FTX DR8 I thought it was a home run and exactly what I wanted, Standard 8th scale electronics, beefy front pillow balls, big tires, fully independent suspension, reasonable price, and can be had for $450 ish, but only stocked by overseas dealers who either wouldn't ship US or wanted big money to ship, I couldnt find it for less then $600 shipped it wasn't out of the question, but not the home run I thought.
Since I have been getting into my bigger trucks and love my outcast ebb 8s, out of the blue, I pulled the trigger on the Lost DBXL, which is a great machine but not the daily driver I wanted for some reason. Too big to lug around unless im going for a big session with lots of space or I wind up grabbing the outcast first.
Then 2 weeks ago I see the ZD racing desert buggy, looks great but I just got the Lost less then 2 months ago, had it been out I would have jumped on it. It seems like a better FTX DR8 actually. I cant stop looking at it though, so I think I will wait for a few more months to see how its reviewed and holding up. I have a ZD racing 07 7th scale street car I got as a roller, its well made but I don't drive on the street enough to really out it through its paces and know how well it holds up like the off road stuff.
Anyone see the ZD racing up close? how's it look!

sorry for the rant, but I have been trying to get just the right desert racer and just haven't scratched the itch completely for what I want.
It started of early in the year when I picked up a ZD racing DB10, I wanted another 10th scale rig to let friends use that didnt look like my short coarse, MT, or buggy's. I think it was $219 shipped. It looks nice but has junk electronics, which I thought about replacing but with little aftermarket hop ups available and stock parts not being particularly robust, its a waste. Truthfully I ran 2 packs through it and may or may not pick it back up, but I REALLY LIKED THE LOOK! I just needed something a better quality and bigger.
I considered the Lasernut next, but it sounded like it had too many teething pains with the YouTube horror stories with gears, axles, Diffs and god knows what else going wrong in the first few packs. With a starting price of $500 plus a few hundred dollars in upgrades getting the weak areas sortie out, it was a $700 plus 10 scale rig... so I passed.
Then I was in my favorite hobby shop and saw the Lost tenacity dbPro desert buggy. up close.. it didn't have the length, tire size, and full on U4 looks, but it had lots of quality parts and seemed a more appropriate use of the tenacity platform. With lots of rave reviews I took one home in the Fox edition. I haven't driven it a lot though. I have lots of other options when I go to the track, which isnt that often anyway and on the more grassy terrain I run on its a little better then most of my buggies it still struggles. its a great rig in the right terrain, but too small for most of the areas I run.
When I saw the FTX DR8 I thought it was a home run and exactly what I wanted, Standard 8th scale electronics, beefy front pillow balls, big tires, fully independent suspension, reasonable price, and can be had for $450 ish, but only stocked by overseas dealers who either wouldn't ship US or wanted big money to ship, I couldnt find it for less then $600 shipped it wasn't out of the question, but not the home run I thought.
Since I have been getting into my bigger trucks and love my outcast ebb 8s, out of the blue, I pulled the trigger on the Lost DBXL, which is a great machine but not the daily driver I wanted for some reason. Too big to lug around unless im going for a big session with lots of space or I wind up grabbing the outcast first.
Then 2 weeks ago I see the ZD racing desert buggy, looks great but I just got the Lost less then 2 months ago, had it been out I would have jumped on it. It seems like a better FTX DR8 actually. I cant stop looking at it though, so I think I will wait for a few more months to see how its reviewed and holding up. I have a ZD racing 07 7th scale street car I got as a roller, its well made but I don't drive on the street enough to really out it through its paces and know how well it holds up like the off road stuff.

Nope only watched the RC Kiwis video on it. My biggest problem with most any brand sold on Banggood is parts support or the lack there of.

When I saw the FTX DR8 I thought it was a home run and exactly what I wanted, Standard 8th scale electronics, beefy front pillow balls, big tires, fully independent suspension, reasonable price, and can be had for $450 ish, but only stocked by overseas dealers who either wouldn't ship US or wanted big money to ship, I couldnt find it for less then $600 shipped it wasn't out of the question, but not the home run I thought. https://www.hobbytech-rc.com/db8sl-en/
Sounds like we have similar tastes as far as desert buggies goes. I have the Lasernut and you are 100% correct about it needing upgrades to beef it up. It has 1:10 scale drivetrain and its the same size as the Kraton 6s. Heres a buggy that caught my eye and it seems to be well known in france so I'm sure parts wouldnt be a problem...?
https://www.hobbytech-rc.com/db8sl-en/

After some thought, I totally agree that both a 1/5 desert buggy and a 1/5 Mojave would be fantastic, but it should be a totally new platform, one that could be shared between them (and also have a certain amount of parts interchangeability with other 8s Arrmas) but it would absolutely have to have a solid rear axle. Let’s keep it real. Otherwise it would just be another “wannabe” in wolves clothing. I’d love to see Arrma put a red dot on the forehead of the Losi SBR2, the Traxxas UDR, and the Losi DBXL and take no prisoners. Make a cost-no-option killer combo for the desert scene. Run an 8-12S electronics package and over-engineer the hell out of it. Own the 1/5 Uber RC electric segment with a vengeance. They would almost certainly not be profit monsters, but an industry flagship could put quite the feather in Arrma’s cap.

Last edited:
After some thought, I totally agree that both a 1/5 desert buggy and a 1/5 Mojave would be fantastic, but it should be a totally new platform, one that could be shared between them (and also have a certain amount of parts interchangeability with other 8s Arrmas) but it would absolutely have to have a solid rear axle. Let’s keep it real. Otherwise it would just be another “wannabe” in wolves clothing. I’d love to see Arrma put a red dot on the forehead of the Losi SBR2, the Traxxas UDR, and the Losi DBXL and take no prisoners. Make a cost-no-option killer combo for the desert scene. Run an 8-12S electronics package and over-engineer the hell out of it. Own the 1/5 Uber RC electric segment with a vengeance. They would almost certainly not be profit monsters, but an industry flagship could put quite the feather in Arrma’s cap.

Arrma (like most companies) doesn't make things that aren't profitable. Arrma also loves their current chassis/drivetrain/suspension design, and for good reason. A solid rear axle isn't something the company does and 1/5 scale is not a big market share for RC. The price on something like that would be damn near unobtainable and something of that size, weight, and power (if more than 8S) would have so many teething problems it would likely be a big black eye to the brand. A pipe dream at best unfortunately. Just my opinion

At closest we might get a 1/5 Mojave one day, but thats about it.

Sounds like we have similar tastes as far as desert buggies goes. I have the Lasernut and you are 100% correct about it needing upgrades to beef it up. It has 1:10 scale drivetrain and its the same size as the Kraton 6s. Heres a buggy that caught my eye and it seems to be well known in france so I'm sure parts wouldnt be a problem...?
https://www.hobbytech-rc.com/db8sl-en/
That's almost the same price as the Losi DB Pro. $435.95 plus tax shipped to my door. https://www.ebay.com/itm/184453324388?epid=19044669306&hash=item2af2465e64:g:RDAAAOSwJPRghg2h The Losi is $429.99 plus tax.

I am really tempted for that buggy...plus its 1:8.
Its got that "Glamis" look to it that I like just like the db pro.
It's a 1/8sl buggy. It has 10th scale drivetrain and a plastic chassis.

It's a 1/8sl buggy. It has 10th scale drivetrain and a plastic chassis.
BUMMER!!! I over looked the chassis. and drivetrain...got too excited by the looks. The lasernut has a weak drivetrain too so I have Tekno shafts and cups for when it fails.

BUMMER!!! I over looked the chassis. and drivetrain...got too excited by the looks. The lasernut has a weak drivetrain too so I have Tekno shafts and cups for when it fails.
It is only set up for 3s so I'm sure the drive train will hold up out of the box. The electronics in it are comparable to the electronics in the 3s Arrmas.

It is only set up for 3s so I'm sure the drive train will hold up out of the box. The electronics in it are comparable to the electronics in the 3s Arrmas.
don't know why I thought it had more potential than it actually has. What it does have though is a complete roll cage that can be bought and Frankenstein'd with a chassis that has the same or close to the same dimensions. Eh...I like building stuff like that but its so hard not having a shop around to look at parts before buying to see if it will work.

Arrma (like most companies) doesn't make things that aren't profitable. Arrma also loves their current chassis/drivetrain/suspension design, and for good reason. A solid rear axle isn't something the company does and 1/5 scale is not a big market share for RC. The price on something like that would be damn near unobtainable and something of that size, weight, and power (if more than 8S) would have so many teething problems it would likely be a big black eye to the brand. A pipe dream at best unfortunately. Just my opinion

At closest we might get a 1/5 Mojave one day, but thats about it.
I think a 1/5 Mojave would be kind of pointless in its current form. A lot of people characterize it as a “desert” truck, but it isn’t at all. Maybe in looks alone, but this is just a 1/7 scale SCT. This thread is about Arrma making a desert buggy/desert truck platform and that can’t be done without a solid rear axle. Yes, I know Arrma doesn’t do that…yet. And a 1/5 Mojave just couldn’t compete with what Losi is doing right now, or even with the UDR for that matter, especially at the price point they’d have to sell it at. But the 1/5 market is growing. Yes, they’re expensive trucks for a smaller niche but it could be an opportunity to dominate a growing field. There are teething problems with any new design, but that’s why I said “cost no object” with regards to its production. IMO, it would have to be a very expensive truck with top shelf components. All billet suspension links with a Vitavon solid rear axle and a nice thick aluminum subframe? Sign me up. I doubt HH would even consider any of this though to have Arrma make one to compete with their other (already dominant in 1/5 scale) brands. Like you said, a pipe dream. But a fun hypothetical to consider!

I think a 1/5 Mojave would be kind of pointless in its current form. A lot of people characterize it as a “desert” truck, but it isn’t at all. Maybe in looks alone, but this is just a 1/7 scale SCT. This thread is about Arrma making a desert buggy/desert truck platform and that can’t be done without a solid rear axle. Yes, I know Arrma doesn’t do that…yet. And a 1/5 Mojave just couldn’t compete with what Losi is doing right now, or even with the UDR for that matter, especially at the price point they’d have to sell it at. But the 1/5 market is growing. Yes, they’re expensive trucks for a smaller niche but it could be an opportunity to dominate a growing field. There are teething problems with any new design, but that’s why I said “cost no object” with regards to its production. IMO, it would have to be a very expensive truck with top shelf components. All billet suspension links with a Vitavon solid rear axle and a nice thick aluminum subframe? Sign me up. I doubt HH would even consider any of this though to have Arrma make one to compete with their other (already dominant in 1/5 scale) brands. Like you said, a pipe dream. But a fun hypothetical to consider!
But what if Horizon left the solid rear suspension to their brands Axial (Yeti and Bomber) and Losi ( (Super) Baja Rey and (super) Rock Rey) ) and let Arrma use independent suspension Based on their current platforms?
So it‘s more of a basher and have it compete with the desert buggies like FTX DR8, Reely Raptor, FS Racing Atom, ZD Racing DBX10 and DBX7.
I would take an Arrma 1/8th desert buggy with independent suspension (easy to cross use Arrma parts between the 6s platforms👍).

But what if Horizon left the solid rear suspension to their brands Axial (Yeti and Bomber) and Losi ( (Super) Baja Rey and (super) Rock Rey) ) and let Arrma use independent suspension Based on their current platforms?
So it‘s more of a basher and have it compete with the desert buggies like FTX DR8, Reely Raptor, FS Racing Atom, ZD Racing DBX10 and DBX7.
I would take an Arrma 1/8th desert buggy with independent suspension (easy to cross use Arrma parts between the 6s platforms👍).
Because on this side of the pond we can’t really source parts for anything you just mentioned save for Losi unless you take your chances with the AliExpress stuff and wait a month or more to see if it fits and it isn’t total junk. There is no competition for those brands here because very few people buy them. You could take this approach and do an IRS 1/5 platform, but who would buy it at that price point when you could simply buy the far superior solid axle desert setup from Losi or even Traxxas? (Axial is just a crawler or a “rock racer” and is a very different conversation.) It would just be a bigger, overpriced basher that could in no way compete with the performance of a solid rear axle desert truck or buggy. The current Losi platform would give a 1/5 Mojave with IRS a proper spanking and would run circles around it in the harsh conditions the Losi shines in. If Arrma did it, it would have to be the real deal and they would have to build it tough! And fast.

IMO Arrma is making their mark in the Basher area with great success. A true desert truck like said above would have a solid rear axle...only a very few stadium/desert truck teams have 4w independent suspension more for experimental reasons. The looks of such a truck but with 4w independent suspension (the Mojave) has the looks but is just a basher in disguise. No scale realism to it like the Losi and UDR. We can hope one day arrma will expand on what they make. DESERT BUGGIES AND RACE TRUCKS. COME ON ARRMA! (y);)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back