Outcast Camber and Toe...how to?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hey folks,
Apologies if this topic has already been covered...but I am curious how to adjust camber and/or toe on the Outcast.
From what I can tell, the car comes out of the box with slight toe in on the rear, and slight toe out at the front.
Not that I plan on making and radical changes right of the bat, but I would like to know how to go about changing these values.
On the rear of the truck, I see there are 4 eyelets on the wheel hub and 4 eyelets on the shock towers that the tie rods are attached to.
Seems like these holes can be used to reposition the tie rods for camber...or do they also adjust toe?
On the front of the truck I can see how the tie rods would influence toe in/out, do the same rules apply on the rear?
So I guess basically what I am asking (long story short), does tie rods length affect toe, and the eyelet positioning affect camber?

The rear tie rods affect camber. The rear tie rod positions based on the holes in the shock towers and hubs affects the roll center. The rear toe is fixed based on the hinge pin positions in parts: ARR330379, ARR330186, and ARR330229. ARRMA may offer these parts with alternate hinge pin locations that affect rear toe.

The front steering tie rods affect toe and the pillow balls within the front hubs affect camber and also front track (or width).

Ok gotcha.
Hmmmmm...I think I will leave the toe and camber in their stock settings, seems like a lot of fuss to modify for 'everyday driving'.

Seems like one of the front wheels on my truck has a slight amount more camber compared to the other, despite the fact both pillow balls of each wheel on both sides of the truck only have one spacer each.
There is no other mechanism by which slight camber adjustments can be made aside from adding an additional spacer??
Pillow ball spacers change camber. The threaded steering rods adjust toe.

I have noticed that the tolerances are not the most accurate. I found that my dogbones were binding on my front end when the suspension was was to the extreme so I spaced out my pillow balls with additional washers. 6x10x.5mm I have the top spaced at 1.5mm and the bottom at 2mm. Next time I have it apart I might make the top and the bottom match to see how it effects handling.

Agreed re: tolerances.
Yeah so in regard to adding spacers, I have read a few comments where people are cracking or bending the pillow ball, or worse - cracking the end of the a arms where the threading is.
Seems the further the balls are wrenched in to the a arms, the more strength there is.
Not sure if I want to be removing valuable thread depth from the pillow ball.

Agreed re: tolerances.
Yeah so in regard to adding spacers, I have read a few comments where people are cracking or bending the pillow ball, or worse - cracking the end of the a arms where the threading is.
Seems the further the balls are wrenched in to the a arms, the more strength there is.
Not sure if I want to be removing valuable thread depth from the pillow ball.

I see your point. I will say though, I utterly destroyed my front end last week after misjudging the distance I was to a large rock. I blew out both lower hinge pins, totally bent beyond use, the diff case and a lower A arm. The pillow balls have held up fine.

Dude that is terrible!! :(
Basherbrink destroyed his Outcast a few days ago as well.
It has not been a good week for the Outcast at large, so it appears!
Good to know re: pillow balls.
The difference in camber is ever so slight I think I'll leave as is...I have trouble leaving 'well enough' alone.
Good luck on the rebuild, have you started yet?

Last week, I was cruising the crest of a hill, full bore and the rock moved in front of me. LOL! It was a pretty loud crunch and the front end was on the ground. At least I got a full battery in before the carnage. I ordered the parts from an eBay supplier 95 miles away and the parts came in 2 days. I'm already back to it. Those two days waiting for the parts felt like forever. This beast is awesome to drive!

Back to it as in up and running, or rebuilding?
Regardless, that's good stuff man, at least the downtime wasn't that significant!
Have' had mine out but a few times since I got her.
Weather here has not been hospitable (snow and very cold temperatures)...and I hate spraying the entire rig down with WD-40, and the cleaning after and having to re-oil everything...so I have spent time doing mods.
All to your point - yes, it is awesome - I couldn't be happier with my purchase!

I already got it up and running, now I'm waiting for some T-Bone bumpers. This is my first RC car. It's taken me a few weeks and a bunch of repairs, but I've gotten a lot better at avoiding rocks and cartwheeling jumps.
Bash on!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back