Camera mounting inside body??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking of trying one of those tiny cameras the drone guys use, just drill small hole in the windscreen in drivers position and mount it to the body inside..!!

I was thinking of trying one of those tiny cameras the drone guys use, just drill small hole in the windscreen in drivers position and mount it to the body inside..!!
I don't know what they use or I'd try that too. However, needs to be lite, self powered, builtin memory and capable of 1080p at 60fps. Water resistant would be best. Kind of why I went with the hero5 session at the time. It's just heavy for what it is.

Just a reminder for anyone looking to purchase an camera, that session model does not have GPS and some of the other features. (G-force etc)
Hero black series 5 and newer do, plus image stabilization starting around series 5 (I believe)

I don't know what they use or I'd try that too. However, needs to be lite, self powered, builtin memory and capable of 1080p at 60fps. Water resistant would be best. Kind of why I went with the hero5 session at the time. It's just heavy for what it is.
Eh I’m not too needy. 720p @60fps is what I’m shooting for.

That would probably be good enough for PIP use. Likely wouldn't even notice unless you flipped to view FOV for a few cut scenes. Even then, if 90% of the main footage is 1080, not a big deal anyway.

If you find a decent small camera that works well, let me know. For what it is, I don't want to spend a lot... already did that once. lol!

I wonder how hard it would be to retrofit the fpv mount out of the Dromida 1/18 vehicles into one of these :unsure:

-edit- I cannot find just the mount anywhere yet only can find the entire car.

Last edited:
Suppose maybe a runcam 2 would be lower profile and lighter than the session, but it's in no way waterproof and you can't replace the lens if you mess it up or even put gorilla glass on it I don't think. You can buy a new camera piece though for $25 and finagle an extension on it to mount the camera box somewhere with the camera itself somewhere 5-6 inches away. Might see if there's an aftermarket housing or something for it...

Suppose maybe a runcam 2 would be lower profile and lighter than the session, but it's in no way waterproof and you can't replace the lens if you mess it up or even put gorilla glass on it I don't think. You can buy a new camera piece though for $25 and finagle an extension on it to mount the camera box somewhere with the camera itself somewhere 5-6 inches away. Might see if there's an aftermarket housing or something for it...
What about the Polaroid Cube Act II, it's listed as weather resistant and seems to be fairly small.

What about the Polaroid Cube Act II, it's listed as weather resistant and seems to be fairly small.
It's not the size so much as the weight. My hero5 session with the aluminum cage/frame weighs nearly as much as my hero5 black with a battery in it. That's a lot of force on big jumps to hold in place.

Odds are the poloroid cube is lighter as it's probably all plastic. I almost bought one, but the reviews on it in general aren't very favorable. It looks like runcam is coming out with a new cube type camera, Runcam 5 for $100. They had one already, not sure if it was a bad unit or what as I don't see it around anymore, just the longer/flatter runcam 2. It appears the Runcam5 will have a plastic housing, not waterproof/resistant, but guessing it's lighter than the session and the specs show that it will do 1080p at 120fps which is what I record at on my Hero5 black. The session will only go up to 60fps. Granted, that's not nearly as important to me as having a camera that stays in place. lol!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back