Camera suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechDad

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Senton 6s
Looking to get a Gopro Hero Black to video some bashing,but i'm not sure if I need to go all out on a 7 or 8 or just get maybe a Hero 6 black. What are you guys using?

Looking to get a Gopro Hero Black to video some bashing,but i'm not sure if I need to go all out on a 7 or 8 or just get maybe a Hero 6 black. What are you guys using?
A Hero 6 Black will be fine. It does up to 1080/240p which is plenty. You can record in 4K if you want, but just know that it takes way longer to export and upload 4K footage than 1080p.

I'm using a gopro hero 5 and here you can see some of my videos
I don't really know what I'm doing with post production so I record in 1080/60 fps in case I wanna do some slow motion (which I never do) and I use protune (flat color profile) so that I can add some color filters later

https://www.youtube.com/user/pesanze/videos

I'd be really interested to have some feedback on the quality since I'm also considering a second camera
(I'd like the gopro 8 but these things are too expensive)

@TechDad if you can afford it, I would consider going with at least the Hero 7 Black if you can.

While the Hero 6 and 7 Silver both have video stabilization, the Hero 7 Black offers HyperSmooth video stabilization which is a pretty nice improvement over past GoPro Hero's I've seen. The Hero 8 Black is even better yet, but the price does jump up even more.

@TechDad if you can afford it, I would consider going with at least the Hero 7 Black if you can.

While the Hero 6 and 7 Silver both have video stabilization, the Hero 7 Black offers HyperSmooth video stabilization which is a pretty nice improvement over past GoPro Hero's I've seen. The Hero 8 Black is even better yet, but the price does jump up even more.
Pretty sure they just updated the Hero 6 Black with Hypersmooth as I got an update notice the other day on mine. I was trying to record so I dismissed it.

Pretty sure they just updated the Hero 6 Black with Hypersmooth as I got an update notice the other day on mine. I was trying to record so I dismissed it.
I would be interested in knowing if that is the case or not. Looking at the latest firmware release notes this doesn't seem to be the case.

Code:
HERO6 Black update v02.10 | October 17, 2019

HERO6 Black v2.10

USABILITY IMPROVEMENT
- Lets you use your GoPro with the Rechargeable Battery (HERO8 Black / HERO7 Black / HERO6 Black / HERO5 Black / HERO 2018)
https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero6

That said, if GoPro did push Hypersmooth to the Hero 6 Black that would be great.

Can anybody verify that the latest update did add Hypersmooth?

Using Hero 8 and I recommend it. Have an older Hero3 and it's night and day.
Trade in an old camera (hint: they sell old gopro's for ~$15 on ebay) and you get a $100 discount.
You want hypersmooth, don't buy one without it.

What does not work (for free):
Any GPS data , add-on SW cost $$$ to make it work.
Garmin Virb if you want GPS data.

Don't buy accessories, get them from Amazon, much better and much cheaper.

Make sure you understand that video editing is a 'must' as the next step.

Ok so I think it may have been an ad they served me in app because everything I’m seeing now says Hero 7 or later for Hypersmooth. ??‍♂️

I see alot of Hero 7 black for $250 new. Is that a good price?
Sure the price is good but what is it exactly? Many of the Hero 7 Blacks I've seen in that range are "Renewed" or refurbished. That might be fine and dandy just make sure who the "renewed" was done by - GoPro or some Joe in his he-shed. Also make sure there is some kind of warranty - just in case Joe didn't renew it good enough. ;)

Sure the price is good but what is it exactly? Many of the Hero 7 Blacks I've seen in that range are "Renewed" or refurbished. That might be fine and dandy just make sure who the "renewed" was done by - GoPro or some Joe in his he-shed. Also make sure there is some kind of warranty - just in case Joe didn't renew it good enough. ;)

It's new in package,never opened.

I didn't get the Hero 7 due to the fact the guy sold it locally before we could work out a meeting spot. I was around 45 mins away and he sold it to a guy 5 minutes away. Anyways,I run into a guy at the local park who was using a Hero 8 and we began to talk. I told him about the Hero 7 and told me that he has a Hero 8 that is New in the Box that he never used. He asked me what I would offer for it and I told him $250 since thats what the Hero 7 was priced. He AGREED to it!!!:eek: I was shocked. He's going to bring it Tuesday. I have seen him multiple times there,so I have no concern he won't be there. If it actually is NEW in box,I think I got one heck of deal.:p

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back