Can a motor cause an ESC to short?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dure16

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Typhon TLR
I bought a used Tekin truggy motor.

Then I bought a used mamba monster x to power it. But it didn’t work with the sensor cable plugged in and the esc went totally haywire soon after. The ESC didn’t work with my other sensored motors either, but I had tried the Tekin first.

Then I bought a new mamba monster x and plugged it into the motor. It wouldn’t operate at all while a sensor cable was plugged in. Then it went totally haywire after one (sensorless) run and wouldn’t do anything. Wouldn’t work with any motors but I had tried the Tekin first.

I exchanged the second MMX for a new one but I’m afraid to plug it into this motor. It seems like the motor might be ruining these ESCs.

Is that even possible?

Sensor cables are not created equal and they are not all compatible. Now, I don't know if that is the reason why you're having such issues here, I'm sure others will chime in with more concrete answers. But that would be my first suspicion as to the culprit here but, again, not sure.

Sensor cables are not created equal and they are not all compatible. Now, I don't know if that is the reason why you're having such issues here, I'm sure others will chime in with more concrete answers. But that would be my first suspicion as to the culprit here but, again, not sure.
Thanks. I forgot to mention I tried four different sensor cables and had the same issue.

Thanks. I forgot to mention I tried four different sensor cables and had the same issue.
It's possible that you need some sort of adapter from a CC ESC to a Tekin motor. The pin arrangement may not be the same. Maybe someone else has tried this combination before and can clear up what is happening.

It's possible that you need some sort of adapter from a CC ESC to a Tekin motor. The pin arrangement may not be the same. Maybe someone else has tried this combination before and can clear up what is happening.
You are right. CC switches a pin. That why you need their harness or their complete cable. I just popped the pins and moved the two cables. Basically all sensor cables are interchangeable, except CC.

You are right. CC switches a pin. That why you need their harness or their complete cable. I just popped the pins and moved the two cables. Basically all sensor cables are interchangeable, except CC.
That's what I thought. The last two pins are x-over on CC sensor cables. Not having had any other sensor cables in my hand other than CC I wasn't sure of the difference. Now I know.
Knowing Gi Joe GIF by MOODMAN

I tried the adapter with normal sensor cables and also tried the castle direct connect sensor cables. I really don’t think the cables are the issue here.

I tried the adapter with normal sensor cables and also tried the castle direct connect sensor cables. I really don’t think the cables are the issue here.
If you insist.
I'm gonna put on my Cap'n Obvious hat for a moment. When running in sensored mode, it is extremely important to get the three wires A, B & C plugged into the ESC correctly. I'm not suggesting anything, just trying the process of elimination.

If you insist.
I'm gonna put on my Cap'n Obvious hat for a moment. When running in sensored mode, it is extremely important to get the three wires A, B & C plugged into the ESC correctly. I'm not suggesting anything, just trying the process of elimination.
Those cables work properly on another system, so yes I insist.

Regarding ABC misalignment. I did extensive troubleshooting including the cabling, but I can’t be 100% sure I plugged them in correctly the first time. The ESCs were toast though. Could a one time misalignment kill an ESC?

Those cables work properly on another system, so yes I insist.

Regarding ABC misalignment. I did extensive troubleshooting including the cabling, but I can’t be 100% sure I plugged them in correctly the first time. The ESCs were toast though. Could a one time misalignment kill an ESC?
The one time misalignment no. The one time misalignment and giving it the beans...maybe? I cannot say for certain.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back