Kraton Can a motor upgrade be done with the stock firma esc?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of Kraton 4s 6s and what conditions do you run in? And high speeds fans will help.

Last edited:
The wifey had a firma 150esc with a 4092 tp motor in her notorious for a while. You're definitely leaving power on the table, but it can be done.

My spektrum 150a ran fine in my kraton with the stock motor for quite a long time (almost a year?). Shortly after I upgraded to a 4092 motor, it caught fire and exploded. And it wasnt temp related because it was running cool as a cucumber with a 35mm rocket fan.

So I would say no. But that's just been my experience.

Less heat can only be done with a lower kV motor, ESC has really nothing to do with it.
You have to look at motor spec and look at the rated current, that will determine ESC size.
Plenty of options out there.

Less heat can only be done with a lower kV motor, ESC has really nothing to do with it.
You have to look at motor spec and look at the rated current, that will determine ESC size.
Plenty of options out there.
Wouldn't a larger motor be able to generate more magnetic force per kv, thus giving it better ability to drive the same gear with less heat (Or in this case, a bigger gear with less kv). If I am right @jerseydrew didn't want to overload his esc and cause a fire.

Larger, as in larger diameter?
In principle, yes, it also has a larger surface to dissipate heat. On the other hand, you also add more wiring inside the motor which comes with larger gap loss and all kinds of other non-intuitive issues.
Motor efficiency is where the heat originates, and lower kV will always win.

Larger, as in larger diameter?
In principle, yes, it also has a larger surface to dissipate heat. On the other hand, you also add more wiring inside the motor which comes with larger gap loss and all kinds of other non-intuitive issues.
Motor efficiency is where the heat originates, and lower kV will always win.
Length or diameter

There are two perspectives here. From a heat management perspective: yes a larger diameter or longer length motor would be easier to cool, thereby your observable temps would go down. More surface area--particularly for aftermarket motors as most have "cooling fins"--facilitates better heat transfer away from the motor. But this does not mean you are generating less heat. You will likely be creating MORE heat with the bigger motor, but just having an easier time getting rid of it due significantly increased surface area.

The other perspective is that due to the increased power draw of the bigger motor, the larger heat generation will be harder to notice. However, you will see it on your ESC. Meaning, while temps will likely read lower on the motor, they will be increased on the ESC if all else stays the same.

Last edited:
Regardless of motor size (might be a negligible difference) fans or no fans, etc., etc., it all comes down to KV. From a purely practical, real world result I would put the can size out of your head, especially with a stock ESC. If you change your motor, drop the KV a bit, but I still wouldn’t even bother. Either drop your gearing or run fans on your existing motor.

Pick up one of these and two 40mm high speed fans and you shouldn't have anymore temp issues.
https://www.islandhobbynut.com/prod...luminum-40-42mm-dia-motor-mount-30mm-40mm-fan
1664536808033.png

I'm curious how many of you have actually observed with a thermometer the reduction of heat with a larger motor can size. I personally have not done it but suspect it may be negligible. Reducing the kv and introducing fans would probably be way more noticeable and therefore worth doing. Technically increasing can size also ads weight. I'd try to start cooling where it counts and that's with reducing kv and fans. The closer you are to the max RPM of the motor, the more you should expect stress of the motor and therefore heat. Most bashers are going to be in the 33k-38k rpm range. If you're above that, then just realize you're over the "normal" top threshold. Each to their own.

Keep in mind that you simply can't buy the 'same' motor with the same electrical properties just with a bigger can size, at least not for our application.
Hence, the comparison will never work, but yes, more surface will transfer more heat.

I'm curious how many of you have actually observed with a thermometer the reduction of heat with a larger motor can size. I personally have not done it but suspect it may be negligible. Reducing the kv and introducing fans would probably be way more noticeable and therefore worth doing. Technically increasing can size also ads weight. I'd try to start cooling where it counts and that's with reducing kv and fans. The closer you are to the max RPM of the motor, the more you should expect stress of the motor and therefore heat. Most bashers are going to be in the 33k-38k rpm range. If you're above that, then just realize you're over the "normal" top threshold. Each to their own.
Most of the popular rc manufacturers use the same size cans for the same size KV up and down the range +-100kv. It's all pretty standardized at this point. There might be the odd generic manufacturer on eBay or AliExpress but that's going backwards in reliability imo which is the point of increasing cooling.

What you're saying is technically right probably but not feasible in the real world. For rc cars anyways.

I assume everyone runs fans just like I do (terrible assumption, i know), so for me going to a 4092 like i did was the obvious choice. Cooling wise it allowed me 2x 40mm fans on the motor and the "cooling fins" for superior heat transfer, vice the stock where you could only squeeze 2x 30mm fans over the can and the can was smooth.

Gearing for the same top speed (to account for different kv), I'd see no reason why a larger motor wouldn't run cooler, particularly when using fans. Passively cooled, I would guess there still is an advantage to running a larger finned motor, I wouldn't expect it to be a night and day difference though.

Didn't even bother to try gearing for the same gearing in order to do a comparison, but I do think it would be a very interesting experiment. Then again, i also didn't buy the 4092 solely just to get better thermal performance.

Most of the popular rc manufacturers use the same size cans for the same size KV up and down the range +-100kv. It's all pretty standardized at this point. There might be the odd generic manufacturer on eBay or AliExpress but that's going backwards in reliability imo which is the point of increasing cooling.

What you're saying is technically right probably but not feasible in the real world. For rc cars anyways.
That makes. I don't have this car, so don't know the specifics for application. I just understand the overall ideas with my recent 2S and 4S arrma builds. What you've mentioned though furthers my suggestion that for the OP to achieve better cooling, to reduce kv with the same motor size and add a fan.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back