Typhon Can barely express how happy I am…😃

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velodromed

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton 4s
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Vorteks
  8. Voltage
  9. Infraction 4x4
I pulled the trigger on a 3s typhon and man, am I happy! I would like to thank Jorge, the owner of Alamo city Hobby here in San Antonio. I bought my big rock from them awhile back so decided to try again (instead of Amazon like I usually do).

He gave me a small discount off my purchase (also got a set of MT badlands for the granite) and took his time answering all of my questions. This Hobby shop does not meet any of the negative aspects I’m always hearing about hobby shops. The owner dealt with me direct, was easy-going and extremely helpful. If you live in or around San Antonio I strongly suggest this shop. Their prices are the same that I have found everywhere online, and being treated with patience and respect was very nice.

I can’t wait to get home and unbox this beastie! I have wanted one for some sometime now. Any concerns, hesitations and nervousness I had before are totally gone. Dang I am happy! I will definitely be bringing my RC needs to this shop from now on.

1FE1E0BE-3300-46F4-BD0F-08688532BF69.jpeg

A16AFAD6-9352-43B5-B3B1-92A22A1DB2D1.jpeg

E16C9F7F-EB42-4D1B-AEA5-8A18EB5D359C.jpeg

B17BCCB3-4B7E-4815-AE9F-C837409DD54E.jpeg

4F472B92-31F2-48E3-ADB7-E2F2394708AD.jpeg

I pulled the trigger on a 3s typhon and man, am I happy! I would like to thank Jorge, the owner of Alamo city Hobby here in San Antonio. I bought my big rock from them awhile back so decided to try again (instead of Amazon like I usually do).

He gave me a small discount off my purchase (also got a set of MT badlands for the granite) and took his time answering all of my questions. This Hobby shop does not meet any of the negative aspects I’m always hearing about hobby shops. The owner dealt with me direct, was easy-going and extremely helpful. If you live in or around San Antonio I strongly suggest this shop. Their prices are the same that I have found everywhere online, and being treated with patience and respect was very nice.

I can’t wait to get home and unbox this beastie! I have wanted one for some sometime now. Any concerns, hesitations and nervousness I had before are totally gone. Dang I am happy! I will definitely be bringing my RC needs to this shop from now on.

View attachment 170344

View attachment 170345

View attachment 170346

View attachment 170347

View attachment 170348
What a beautiful shop! Love to know how you found an Arrma in there because as I browsed your photos, I found none.

What a beautiful shop! Love to know how you found an Arrma in there because as I browsed your photos, I found none.
You must have better eyes than me, I don't see any Arrmas, I see Traxxas, Axial, Losi, Ecx and HPI.

2nd photo there is 3 Mojave's just left of the trx4 k-5 black.

Very clean, organized well kepts store.(y) Did they polish the floors just for your pix?
Seriously I like that shop. San Antonio is rather far. :(
You are very lucky.
I am jealous.:)

Well, I called ahead and asked Jorge. He’s a cancer survivor, like my wife, so have a certain connection. He is a good guy to deal with.

They had six or seven typhons and several Granites among other Arrmas. They had each car brand in separate sections. I didn’t get all angles of the shop lol. It definitely was fun wandering through and checking out each different car brand that I’ve seen online in YouTube videos.

The only other car that really caught my eye is the team associated mt10, I think it’s called. I’ve got a couple deals closing at the end of the month and I think I’ll get one of those just for fun. There are only $320 and I’ve heard a lot of good about how sturdy they are. They weigh in a touch over 6 pounds…I kinda like the light weight aspect. Supposed to be really good for jumping, as-is stock out of the box.
OK, I should’ve taken more photos! I will next time 🙃

You have Xray vision bro. I think I see them, but I'm not 100% sure what they are.

Very clean, organized well kepts store.(y) Did they polish the floors just for your pix?
You are very lucky.
Kusher Told me about this place a while back, which is why I originally went there. He lives out in Fredericksburg but still makes the drive to hit this shop.

He is the one that originally gave me a 3s ESC to help convert my granite many months ago…which got me totally obsessed with this hobby. So I took his referral seriously. I’m glad I did, the shop is great!
You are very lucky.
The owner is always there, I think his wife is also doing finances or something. When the owners always around and gives a damn, things look good and operate better I think.

You are very lucky.
@SrC out of curiosity what LHS do you visit? I've been to Hobbywood on Jamaica Ave, which seems more like a RC repair shop(limited inventory, but a lot of vehicles being repaired), Track day hobbies in Elmont(very similar to hobbywood, very friendly tho), and Willis hobbies in Mineola(largest selection by far and friendly staff)

That's awesome man and glad your loving the rig! I wish I had a local hobby shop as having to order everything online can suck sometimes especially if I'm not 100% sure on a needed part or if it will work. Closest shop I have is little over an hr away and have never been to it as hours are not the best. Also I'm about 2hrs away from Amain in Chico but I literally never go that way or need to anyways so again never been. Actually never been to a hobby shop ever lol so would be nice just to see and explore one.

That's awesome man and glad your loving the rig! I wish I had a local hobby shop as having to order everything online can suck sometimes especially if I'm not 100% sure on a needed part or if it will work. Closest shop I have is little over an hr away and have never been to it as hours are not the best. Also I'm about 2hrs away from Amain in Chico but I literally never go that way or need to anyways so again never been. Actually never been to a hobby shop ever lol so would be nice just to see and explore one.
It’s 35 min away from home…but 7 min away from work. Makes me want to go to the office more often for sure 🙃
Y’all crack me up. I’ll for damn sure take more photos next time…especially of the Arrma section, which was mostly out of sight from my angle. They had everything from what I saw in person. I was definitely all lovey eyed as I explored, touching more things then a horny guy in a nudie bar 😍🤤

Last edited:
@SrC out of curiosity what LHS do you visit? I've been to Hobbywood on Jamaica Ave, which seems more like a RC repair shop(limited inventory, but a lot of vehicles being repaired), Track day hobbies in Elmont(very similar to hobbywood, very friendly tho), and Willis hobbies in Mineola(largest selection by far and friendly staff)
Nice to see someone local to me, near my haunts.
I raced at Willis years back. Indoor TC track. They had everything. Closed their track. As of late they are basically a Traxxas shop IMHO. Its in a well heeled upscale neighborhood of L.I, and Willis caters to repairs and even washes them. Guys in suits pulling up in exotic real cars Dropping off their X maxxes and Trx-4 rigs for cleaning. Prices there are not reasonable IMHO. I went there to get another lipo for my then new Arrma Noto. and the manager/owner wanted me to buy a Traxxas lipo and the matching charger. Had nothing else to offer me. I am no idiot. Just that he lectured me. Sounded like he was a Trx rep. Lectured the wrong person. Then I mentioned that I raced there years back, purchased much from him, all the brands he used to sell parts for every one, and he changed his tune. I think he even remembered me at that point. He just acknowledged that he sells what people want now. Mostly Traxxas. :(
I may buy paint and materials in a pinch.
Hobbywood in Jamiaca is pretty much a repair shop. They have bins full of used parts they use to repair your rig. A mess. IMO. My nitro buddies were constantly bringing their rigs there. Just to even change a glo plug and carb tune. They are hilarious. But Hobby wood makes money on guys like this. They get up selled every time with poor setups. Wrong tires. Bad wheel alignments etc.
I gave up on Planet Hobbywood. Some guys did also. After I showed them how to setup a nitro engine and all. I hate nitro and rarely use the 2 I have. I tell them why. They know my rigs are always fastest by a mile. They thought it was some magic that Hobbywood was doing. Changing out to larger clutch bells( used ones no less) Paying out the ace.

Brooklyn Hobbies is an older LHS, just that it is very clickish. I placed an order over the phone for the Lim when it was released. Said I didn't need to leave a deposit. But offered. Just my name and phone he said. I kept calling and then someone said they they are all sold, Batch just came in and gone. Called again and they said yeah come pick it up. Called again the next day, because now I wasn't sure whats up. Didn't want to drive an hour for nothing. Spoke to a guy who said with no deposit there is none for me. I asked for the manager. And he said I was low on the list getting one now. I think they already had sold all of them to their steady customers. Lim was a hot item when it was released. Even though I wanted to leave a deposit to secure one. A run around. Been there many times over the years past, always got the same vibes. Probably spent the most money there over my RC years. My very first RC a RC10L was purcheased there with a Futaba PCM radio and servo.
Fantasia hobbies in Bayside was a good LHS. They closed though.

Last edited:
@Velodromed, did you notice if he had good selection of diff oil?
Hard to find these days online. Especially Team Associated oil.

That hobby shop looks amazing. I have never been into one all my RC business is done online.

Congrats on the Typhon you won't regret it. I'm heading home for an unboxing of my own but it's not another Arrma.
That’s the only one I’ve ever been in. The owner was so cool I’ll take most of my Amazon business to him. Prices are the same and it’s so close to work.

Well…what is it you got??

While at the shop I fell for the team associated MT10. That will be next. A 6lb MT with center diff that is tough as hell. Yeah, I want it. Next year. Or month 🤤
Yes he did! Bottles and bottles of diff and shock oil, several different brands also. I think I saw TA brand in there…just was so much to look at it was difficult to zero in on any one thing. Except for the TA MT10. It was like love at first sight 🥰

Nice to see someone local to me, near my haunts.
I raced at Willis years back. Indoor TC track. They had everything. Closed their track. As of late they are basically a Traxxas shop IMHO. Its in a well heeled upscale neighborhood of L.I, and Willis caters to repairs and even washes them. Guys in suits pulling up in exotic real cars Dropping off their X maxxes and Trx-4 rigs for cleaning. Prices there are not reasonable IMHO. I went there to get another lipo for my then new Arrma Noto. and the manager/owner wanted me to buy a Traxxas lipo and the matching charger. Had nothing else to offer me. I am no idiot. Just that he lectured me. Sounded like he was a Trx rep. Lectured the wrong person. Then I mentioned that I raced there years back, purchased much from him, all the brands he used to sell parts for every one, and he changed his tune. I think he even remembered me at that point. He just acknowledged that he sells what people want now. Mostly Traxxas. :(
I may buy paint and materials in a pinch.
Hobbywood in Jamiaca is pretty much a repair shop. They have bins full of used parts they use to repair your rig. A mess. IMO. My nitro buddies were constantly bringing their rigs there. Just to even change a glo plug and carb tune. They are hilarious. But Hobby wood makes money on guys like this. They get up selled every time with poor setups. Wrong tires. Bad wheel alignments etc.
I gave up on Planet Hobbywood. Some guys did also. After I showed them how to setup a nitro engine and all. I hate nitro and rarely use the 2 I have. I tell them why. They know my rigs are always fastest by a mile. They thought it was some magic that Hobbywood was doing. Changing out to larger clutch bells( used ones no less) Paying out the ace.

Brooklyn Hobbies is an older LHS, just that it is very clickish. I placed an order over the phone for the Lim when it was released. Said I didn't need to leave a deposit. But offered. Just my name and phone he said. I kept calling and then someone said they they are all sold, Batch just came in and gone. Called again and they said yeah come pick it up. Called again the next day, because now I wasn't sure whats up. Didn't want to drive an hour for nothing. Spoke to a guy who said with no deposit there is none for me. I asked for the manager. And he said I was low on the list getting one now. I think they already had sold all of them to their steady customers. Lim was a hot item when it was released. Even though I wanted to leave a deposit to secure one. A run around. Been there many times over the years past, always got the same vibes. Probably spent the most money there over my RC years. My very first RC a RC10L was purcheased there with a Futaba PCM radio and servo.
Fantasia hobbies in Bayside was a good LHS. They closed though.
That sucks. I appreciate Alamo city hobby more then ever as I hear stories like this. With prices the same as on line (I checked a whole bunch of parts) and now that I think of it…Jorge never tried to up sell me. Not when I got the big rock from him or this time with the typhoon.

I asked him so many questions for 20+ min and he answered all. A real nice causal guy, the kind I’d have a beer with. He’d just picked up cycling cause his cancer doctor recommended a low impact cardio activity so we connected even further, me being a former cyclist. On line shopping is convenient, but I’ve missed dealing in person with good folks.
What weight(s) TA diff oil do you use? I’ll check when I go back by. One wheel on the car is pretty whacked or warped so I want to see if he can fix or do something about it.
He doesn’t do online ordering but we could figure something out.
Lucky duck, nice selection, and service? Enjoy it, wish I could.
Sorry man, wish you could too. More old school good service business like this are needed.

Last edited:
That’s the only one I’ve ever been in. The owner was so cool I’ll take most of my Amazon business to him. Prices are the same and it’s so close to work.

Well…what is it you got??

While at the shop I fell for the team associated MT10. That will be next. A 6lb MT with center diff that is tough as hell. Yeah, I want it. Next year. Or month 🤤

Yes he did! Bottles and bottles of diff and shock oil, several different brands also. I think I saw TA brand in there…just was so much to look at it was difficult to zero in on any one thing. Except for the TA MT10. It was like love at first sight 🥰

That's what I got TA Rival MT10

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back