Can/how would you fix this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 6s
Hi,

Drove 45 min to take the Kraton out for spin and when I got there it had no throttle. Steering was fine but it wouldn't move.

Tried the usual calibration and rebinding but after 20 minutes gave up and came home.

Took a few things apart to give it a closer inspection and noticed the wire from the ESC to the RX had been pinched and now looks like this (see picture). You can see where its been jambed against the ESC.

Can this be fixed? How would you do it.

There is only about 1 cm of good wire left coming out of the ESC. I've done a bit of soldering but this is too much for me.

Ahhhhh!!!. This would be an annoying thing to have to get a new ESC for.

Thanks,

Simon

20201127_140948.jpg

Hi,

Drove 45 min to take the Kraton out for spin and when I got there it had no throttle. Steering was fine but it wouldn't move.

Tried the usual calibration and rebinding but after 20 minutes gave up and came home.

Took a few things apart to give it a closer inspection and noticed the wire from the ESC to the RX had been pinched and now looks like this (see picture). You can see where its been jambed against the ESC.

Can this be fixed? How would you do it.

There is only about 1 cm of good wire left coming out of the ESC. I've done a bit of soldering but this is too much for me.

Ahhhhh!!!. This would be an annoying thing to have to get a new ESC for.

Thanks,

Simon

View attachment 111203
Hmm that’s a short splice. Might need to add wire in the middle to span the gap.

Separate the white wire from the red, trim off some insulation and solder something in between. It's a short stub, don't cut it any further.
It's the signal wire i.e. nothing should have shorted out. Insulate with tape after you reconnected.

Looks burnt to me, hanging buy a thread of wire.

Go to Jennys Rc and order a new one.

Separate the white wire from the red, trim off some insulation and solder something in between. It's a short stub, don't cut it any further.
It's the signal wire i.e. nothing should have shorted out. Insulate with tape after you reconnected.

Thats what I though would need to be done. I might take it to the LHS see what they can do.

If they want more than 50% of the cost of a new one to fix it, prob just get a new one.

Any advice on value for money replacements?

The postage to Australia from the US is criminal. Probably cost more than the ESC.

” Note to self “.... bench test,check nuts and bolts, tighten wheels , before driving 45 minutes ?
napoleon dynamite dancing GIF

I'm 99% sure its just dirt....
Oh No Oops GIF by Simon Super Rabbit

This is excellent advice.

Just went and had a look at Jennys RC. Postage is actually only like $10.

Problem is the lengthy shipping time.

Last edited:
Thats what I though would need to be done. I might take it to the LHS see what they can do.

If they want more than 50% of the cost of a new one to fix it, prob just get a new one.

Any advice on value for money replacements?

The postage to Australia from the US is criminal. Probably cost more than the ESC.

This is excellent advice.
If you can solder its a super easy fix, seperate wires, cut, strip, slide on shrink tube, spin wires together, flux, heat, melt in solder, cool, slide shrink tube over bare wire and shrink it. Then bash on. Did the same to mine with less wire left.

If you can solder its a super easy fix, seperate wires, cut, strip, slide on shrink tube, spin wires together, flux, heat, melt in solder, cool, slide shrink tube over bare wire and shrink it. Then bash on. Did the same to mine with less wire left.
I'm tempted to try, but worried I'll end up with no wire left.

I'm tempted to try, but worried I'll end up with no wire left
just strip a tiny bit, you don't need to twist them if you cant, just strip an 1/8 inch then tin them and solder the two together side by side. Just shrink wrap it too, no tape do it right. Just don't over fill the nub of wire with solder it will wick down and make the wire brittle and can break with vibration

It can be fixed. You need to add some scrap servo wire to the existing one. Maybe an 1/2"(12mm) . Extra is fine and makes it easier to solder. Splice it in. If you cant its considered bricked. I know I can fix it. But that doesn't help you. Try. What do you have to lose. That ESC in the way it is mounted can cause this damage like it shows. It is very tight against the servo mount if I am correct. Be mindful how you reinstall that ESC. Use liquid electrical tape on the solder joint after it is soldered. Good luck.:cool:
EDIT:
Or Find someone who is good at soldering. Or has more experience.

Last edited:
As I fly fpv quadcopters, soldering is what I do a lot. This seems to be burnt, which is odd for signal, but the only way to know if the unit is damaged further is to repair it. Neatest way would be cutting them all off and resoldering all to equal length. You'll definitely have to trim some wire back, get it down to where is isn't damaged, so you'll end up with the other wires flexed a bit.

You will likely have to peel the wire wire off the others a bit, and they are attached. I often find they peel away, but sometimes it's more difficult. Peel the peel the connector side of the wire (the longer wire) back further to get shrink tube over it. You want to keep the tube away from where you are soldering, and as these wire are thin, and the heat from the iron can start to shrink it.

Spread the wire strands apart if you can, although it doesn't matter with this wire really. Then overlap the two ends, squeeze it all together and twist the wire a bit. From here, lower heat and pointed tip on the iron, and if you have flux, put a small amount on the wire. This will allow it to soak the solder up as quickly as possible. As the sheath around the wires melts and burns on contact, you really want to do it quick. If you take too long, you can even start damaging the good wires.

A quick touch of the iron and solder and it should soak up quick, and then put the shrink tube on. If your shrink tubing is a little large, you can build up a little solder on the wire, to fill in the space. You can squeeze the ends after you heat them, to get them to seal the ends. This involves getting it near burning and melting, so you'd have to be careful with that.

Back