Typhon Can I clean differential with gasoline?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian T

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Typhon 3s
So I purchased new hot racing steel gears and input shaft with a hot racing aluminum carrier case, the stock case holds Metal Gears inside of it when I pull those out I want to clean them can I soak them in gasoline to clean them because I don't have a hobby shop anywhere near me, this 550 has been upgraded and runs 85 + mph on 4s lipo so I just literally tore up the input gear of the stock differential that's why I'm upgrading any help would be greatly appreciated before I start upgrading to steel and aluminum differentials

Gasoline is just too rough to use and handle. I guess you coud use it. I wouldn't though. Denatured alcohol may work if its all you have at home. Not as strong though.
Can you get to an autoparts store? Or hardware store? Plain old brake Parts cleaner spray is what a lot of us are using for the all the metal parts. LHS has parts cleaner I'm sure but costs more usually . It is a similar solvent. Home depot also has citrus degreaser and parts solvent , and even brake cleaner. Use Citrus degreaser if you want something less toxic. But it has to be rinsed then dried. Not tragic. :cool:

Edit:
I use Citrus degreaser spray on the plastic stuff like diff cups. Using a solvent type spray or brake cleaner on plastics messes the plastic up. Can make it brittle. Just a tip.

Last edited:
Gasoline is just rough to use and handle. Can yo get to an autoparts store. Plain old brakr cleaner spray is what a lot of us are using for the all the metal parts. Gears and such.
I didn't think of that I have that in the garage thank you so much I really appreciate it

Gasoline is just too rough to use and handle. I guess you coud use it. I wouldn't though. Denatured alcohol may work if its all you have at home. Not as strong though.
Can you get to an autoparts store? Or hardware store? Plain old brake Parts cleaner spray is what a lot of us are using for the all the metal parts. LHS has parts cleaner I'm sure but costs more usually . It is a similar solvent. Home depot also has citrus degreaser and parts solvent , and even brake cleaner. Use Citrus degreaser if you want something less toxic. But it has to be rinsed then dried. Not tragic. :cool:

Edit:
I use Citrus degreaser spray on the plastic stuff like diff cups. Using a solvent type spray or brake cleaner on plastics messes the plastic up. Can make it brittle. Just a tip.
Like the citrus grill degreaser. Dark blue bottle?

That will work. Along with a nice old tooth brush or similar. But rinse that stuff for sure and dry.

Get naptha or mineral spirits. I use naptha, can be found in pretty much any store that carries house paint. It's used to clean tools and thin paint I believe. I will break down grease and silicone oil really well.

I just put 1/4 cup in a small container and put the disassembled diff parts in. Let it soak a bit, then stir it and hold each part with needle nose then use a tooth brush to scrub. Lay the parts out on a paper towel and it will wick away most of the residual liquid.

Back