Can i clean my bearings with wd40? I ran out of any other cleaner because covid-19

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Kraton 4s, Typhon 3s
So i ran out of alcohol cant find any because of covid-19 idk if they think they have to drink the dam thing but hand senatiser made with nice oil and 70% alcohol is full on the stores. So i have wd-40 without any pressure in the can but i can easy drill a hole and use whats is still inside the can(a big amount) but i used alcohol to remove the wd40 before the grease but does wd40 dry id yes how much time will it take? I cant put bearings who has minor dirt inside.

Branson_Basher

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
BigRock 4x4
Wd40 has some corrosion and rust protection ingredients, those are not likely to dry off any time soon.

I'd use the wd40 to clean the bearings, leave them in front of a fan for an hour and then use my usual lubricant.

I don't think this is serious enough to worry over. You'll be back to your usual methods soon enough.

jkflow

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Kraton 6s, Talion
Cleaning with it is fine but need to lubricate after the fact. It simply evaporates and leaves nothing (useful) behind.

JQFPV

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
BigRock 4x4
WD 40 is excellent for water displacement, cleaning and fishing.

jkflow

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Kraton 6s, Talion
Fishing? o_O:geek:🤭 I have yet to catch a fish by spraying the lake or does the water displacement create a sudden lake hole and the fish fall into it? :p:ROFLMAO:
Sorry, couldn't help myself.
;)

Branson_Basher

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
BigRock 4x4
I went fishing with a buddy who sprayed his lure with WD-40 and caught a trout.
I've heard this before. I'd just assumed the guy was messing me but he acted like it was legit.

Cole B.

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Kraton 6s
So what, then do you guys use inside your bearings for lube? Do you pop the cover off and pack waterproof grease inside?

Lovestricken

Eat,sleep and breath Arrma
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Kraton 6s
I recently cleaned mine with naphtha. Pulled the rubber seals off and dropped them in and I have to say that stuff is the best cleaner I have found yet. Not safe for rubber. Diff cups held up great. It will clean a diff in about 2 min with zero scrubbing. Drop in and take it out and it is spotless with zero residue.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.