Can i clean my bearings with wd40? I ran out of any other cleaner because covid-19

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surchaufeur

Very Active Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Nero
  4. Notorious
So i ran out of alcohol cant find any because of covid-19 idk if they think they have to drink the dam thing but hand senatiser made with nice oil and 70% alcohol is full on the stores. So i have wd-40 without any pressure in the can but i can easy drill a hole and use whats is still inside the can(a big amount) but i used alcohol to remove the wd40 before the grease but does wd40 dry id yes how much time will it take? I cant put bearings who has minor dirt inside.

Wd40 has some corrosion and rust protection ingredients, those are not likely to dry off any time soon.

I'd use the wd40 to clean the bearings, leave them in front of a fan for an hour and then use my usual lubricant.

I don't think this is serious enough to worry over. You'll be back to your usual methods soon enough.

I’m pretty sure WD40 is a standard way of cleaning before packing with grease. Just don’t use water or something corrosive and you should be fine.

WD 40 is excellent for water displacement, cleaning and fishing.

I found a few drops of alcohol and sumped my bearings kne by one to remove wd40 i menaged to create 5 good bearings the rest were oretty much junky or are fishy to use

I recently cleaned mine with naphtha. Pulled the rubber seals off and dropped them in and I have to say that stuff is the best cleaner I have found yet. Not safe for rubber. Diff cups held up great. It will clean a diff in about 2 min with zero scrubbing. Drop in and take it out and it is spotless with zero residue.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back