Typhon Can I run outcast diffs in my typhon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peterbaldin

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Notorious
Hi I just bought a used typhon and one of the diffs is a outcast diff and one is a typhon diff. The typhon diff seems to be clicking so would it make sense to change out the typhon one for a outcast one then change 2 diffs?
378B02C3-B0CF-429F-A1E4-FB3FA1F85494.jpeg

they're supposed to be the same size so it should work. If it's clicking check the mesh, shim if needed. If the click is coming from inside the diff...time to get dirty ;)

At any rate, it should work regardless as long as there's nothing wrong...from what I understand at least ;)

They are different gears from typhon to outcast.. outcast has spiral cut, typhon has straight cut.. you can run outcast gears but I would change both sets front and rear..

I’d put them both to Typhon spec (straight cut crown gear 13t pinion gear)

With one 10t pinion (outcast diff) and the other 13t the Typhon diff is turning the wheels about 15mph faster than the outcast diff at full throttle.
This causes stress and accelerated wear on the whole driveline.

They are different gears from typhon to outcast.. outcast has spiral cut, typhon has straight cut.. you can run outcast gears but I would change both sets front and rear..
That’s what I might do because my lhs might have the outcast one in stock and I can get it 1 sort closer to running it soon
I’d put them both to Typhon spec (straight cut crown gear 13t pinion gear)

With one 10t pinion (outcast diff) and the other 13t the Typhon diff is turning the wheels about 15mph faster than the outcast diff at full throttle.
This causes stress and accelerated wear on the whole driveline.
If both were outcast diffs then it’ll work right?
Those diffs in the op do not look spiral at all...
It has a slight spiral to them unlike the typhon ones that are straight cut I should be able to get more tourqe with the spiral gears because the gear ratio is different

That’s what I might do because my lhs might have the outcast one in stock and I can get it 1 sort closer to running it soon

If both were outcast diffs then it’ll work right?

It has a slight spiral to them unlike the typhon ones that are straight cut I should be able to get more tourqe with the spiral gears because the gear ratio is different
Yes you can run all spiral or all straight, but all ring gears and input pinions must match.

Those diffs in the op do not look spiral at all...

Spiral gears allow for more contact and smoother operations. It's what is used in most automobiles these days. Shouldn't change the gear ratio, only makes existing ratio more efficient. This much I know from working on my full sized cars ;)

Spiral gears allow for more contact and smoother operations. It's what is used in most automobiles these days. Shouldn't change the gear ratio, only makes existing ratio more efficient. This much I know from working on my full sized cars ;)
It’s not the cut that changes the gear ratio, it’s the 10t pinion vs the 13t that mates to each one.

they are physically different gear ratios.. ?

The Typhon (along with the Infraction and Limitless) has straight cut gears.. With a 13T diff input and a 43T main diff gear..

The Outcast (along with Kraton, Talion, Noto and Mojave) has spiral cut gears.. With a 10T diff input and a 43T main diff gear..

You can not combine a spiral cut main gear with a straight cut input gear.. Or vice versa

The spiral cut gears are stonger over the straight cut gears..

If you put OC in the rear, and Typhon in the front.. The front will overdrive the rear.. Or vice versa when put the other way around..

If you choose to run OC diffs.. You will prob loose about 10/15mph on top speed.. Wich you can gain back with a larger motorpinion..

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back