Can I run two motors on one esc?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. RC

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 3s
So, I'm attempting to make an RC Snowcat from this Bruder toy I have at my house (picture below). I kinda know what I'm doing, but for the drive system I'm going to have two motors. (one for each side). Because this will be operating in the snow, I'm just going to get a brushed esc, and two brushed motors. Would it be a possibility to have both motors connected to that one esc? The way it will steer would be one track that goes backward and one forward. Any thoughts?

1664669930867.png

So, I'm attempting to make an RC Snowcat from this Bruder toy I have at my house (picture below). I kinda know what I'm doing, but for the drive system I'm going to have two motors. (one for each side). Because this will be operating in the snow, I'm just going to get a brushed esc, and two brushed motors. Would it be a possibility to have both motors connected to that one esc? The way it will steer would be one track that goes backward and one forward. Any thoughts?

View attachment 247245

I don't believe it'll work in that configuration.

You need to have two separate ESCs to control the motors independently.

With just one ESC you will only be able to move straight forward or straight backwards,but NO turning at all..

Look up the Kyosho Blizzard, and see how it is set up. It uses a dual motor ESC set up. Each motor does run off separate channels on the receiver, but any stick radio should work for that. The dual motor ESC is a bit pricey, but saves space and weight over running 2 separate ESC's. Best company for dual motor ESC's is Sabertooth, but there are other's out there. Look through a robotics forum, and it will give you even more ideas. A few years ago, as part of a project for my ex-step daughter, we built something similar that would not only plow snow, but mow grass as well. Now, im working on a dual motor, twin blade tow behind mower deck.

I don't believe it'll work in that configuration.

You need to have two separate ESCs to control the motors independently.

With just one ESC you will only be able to move straight forward or straight backwards,but NO turning at all..
ah i completely overlooked that..
Look up the Kyosho Blizzard, and see how it is set up. It uses a dual motor ESC set up. Each motor does run off separate channels on the receiver, but any stick radio should work for that. The dual motor ESC is a bit pricey, but saves space and weight over running 2 separate ESC's. Best company for dual motor ESC's is Sabertooth, but there are other's out there. Look through a robotics forum, and it will give you even more ideas. A few years ago, as part of a project for my ex-step daughter, we built something similar that would not only plow snow, but mow grass as well. Now, im working on a dual motor, twin blade tow behind mower deck.
yep, i have seen it but haven't dug into it. ill look at it a bit closer.
Yup basically he needs to copy the electronics setup from the Kyosho Blizzard. https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/1-12-blizzard-2.0-brushed-rtr/KYO34902.html
oo nice, did you have problems with water/snow getting to the electronics?

ah i completely overlooked that..

yep, i have seen it but haven't dug into it. ill look at it a bit closer.

oo nice, did you have problems with water/snow getting to the electronics?
We built everything so it was waterproof. If i remember right, we put the ESC and receiver in a weatherproof box i found at either Harbor Freight or Lowes, and used rubber grommets to run the wires through. It might have even been one of those outdoor boxes for electrical outlets. I don't remember all the details because that was about 6 or 7 years ago, but i do know i made sure it was waterproof, because, with the weather we get here, i make sure everything we use outside is.

We built everything so it was waterproof. If i remember right, we put the ESC and receiver in a weatherproof box i found at either Harbor Freight or Lowes, and used rubber grommets to run the wires through. It might have even been one of those outdoor boxes for electrical outlets. I don't remember all the details because that was about 6 or 7 years ago, but i do know i made sure it was waterproof, because, with the weather we get here, i make sure everything we use outside is.
sweet thanks

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back