Can I use a Y cable on my esc for programming?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryank930

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Granite
Any time I need to make adjustments to my esc programming (still tweaking things), I need to open the rx box. Can I put a y cable on my esc signal wire and have one end out of the box at all times?

I assume it should be fine. I have a cheaper esc on a different car that has a separate programming lead just for this purpose.

Any time I need to make adjustments to my esc programming (still tweaking things), I need to open the rx box. Can I put a y cable on my esc signal wire and have one end out of the box at all times?

I assume it should be fine. I have a cheaper esc on a different car that has a separate programming lead just for this purpose.
Is this for a Castle ESC? If so, they make a cable specifically for that.

Probably depends on which ESC you've got. When using my program box on the BLX100 and hobbywing ESC I've got, I can unplug the ESC fan and insert the programming lead into the ESC directly.

Maybe just use an extension cable hanging out of the Rx Box. Unplug the ESC from the Rx when you do it, so the signal coming from it doesn't interfere with the prog box.

Just make sure the connection is secure when bashing, you don't want the ESC getting disconnected from Rx.

Maybe just use an extension cable hanging out of the Rx Box. Unplug the ESC from the Rx when you do it, so the signal coming from it doesn't interfere with the prog box.

I'd still have to open the rx box every time though to disconnect the esc from the rx. If that's how it has to be done, that's fine. I was just looking to simplify the process.

No, that's why you have that male end hanging out of the Rx box, connected to fhe receiver inside. Let me illustrate: ?

IMG_20200806_181953.jpg

So you can disconnect the ESC outside the box and plug it into the card.

No, that's why you have that male end hanging out of the Rx box, connected to fhe receiver inside. Let me illustrate: ?

View attachment 93181

So you can disconnect the ESC outside the box and plug it into the card.

Ahh. That makes sense. Clearly I shouldn't post before coffee in the morning. ? That's what I'll go with then. Thanks!

Ahh. That makes sense. Clearly I shouldn't post before coffee in the morning. ? That's what I'll go with then. Thanks!
That's what I had to do on my castle esc's. You couldn't just put a pigtail from a Y going into the receiver, the receiver had to be disconnected or it wouldn't connect to the program card. So I just got an extension to run outside my receiver box that I could easily unplug the esc from to download the logs or adjust it. I situated the plug so that a lawn dart landing would force the plug to go into the extension. Haven't had any issues yet.

I actually put a splitter on it so I could use the other side of the Y for constant fans on my motor/esc as well. I had the same thing on my ERBEv2. Getting into my savage flux hp receiver box or ERBEv2 receiver box was a real chore. In my savage, the box isn't sealed, but I have it packed with foam and have the receiver in a balloon... not the most friendly thing to have to mess with after every bash to download logs. On the revo, it was just annoying to have to remove screws to get the lid off the stupid receiver box. Eventually, the screws would strip, then I would have had to remove the motor to get the dumb thing out.

FWIW, the hobbywing program box won't work on a Y connector either if there's a fan plugged into the other side. At least it's easy to get to, just unplug the fan lead on the esc and plug in the box.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back