Outcast Can not remove hub

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Castbash

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I was trying to install new bearing on my v3 Outcast and i could not remove the hub at all. I removed the set screw n pin but the red hub would not budge. I was thinking maybe the locktite is keeping the inner hub with the outter red hub together. Any tips is greatly appreciated

Have you tried heating it up? Iirc mine were kind of a bear to get off too.

Have you tried heating it up? Iirc mine were kind of a bear to get off too.
I heated up the set screw. The pin was hard to get out too but i got it out. Then i could not for the life of me take it apart. Had vice grips and everything. U used a soldering iron to get the set screw out

I had to use quite a lot of heat with a butane torch plus hold the nut in a vice, put the grub screw back in and use the largest punch you can fit to tap the cvd out.

I use a torch so far because Arrma threadlock everything! If I were near plastic I would use a soldering iron.
I'd say they over-do the threadlock but can't complain yet. If they didn't add enough, folks would certainly find fault as well.
Sometimes it's just in places unnecessary.
Consensus and personal experience have taught me that the red threadlock melts easily with heat.... just need to find the right source to not harm connecting parts. When I re-install, I use the cheap blue stuff from Harbor Freight.

I use a torch so far because Arrma threadlock everything! If I were near plastic I would use a soldering iron.
I'd say they over-do the threadlock but can't complain yet. If they didn't add enough, folks would certainly find fault as well.
Sometimes it's just in places unnecessary.
Consensus and personal experience have taught me that the red threadlock melts easily with heat.... just need to find the right source to not harm connecting parts. When I re-install, I use the cheap blue stuff from Harbor Freight.

I know ppl say that the grub screw is hard to get out but i cam right out with the soldering iron. I thought i was in the clear but could not for the life of me get the red hub off. And the carrier is plastic so i can really warm that to get the hub separated

I know ppl say that the grub screw is hard to get out but i cam right out with the soldering iron. I thought i was in the clear but could not for the life of me get the red hub off. And the carrier is plastic so i can really warm that to get the hub separated

If you focus the heat on the red hex nut, it will be fine, it is separated from the plastic with bearings which should insulate it, just angle the torch away from the plastic a bit and you’ll be okay.

I'm not seeing everything but have you loosened the center of the wheel hex? If this isn't applicable, I apologize but I think you could be in a situation where you need to feed a driver directly into the center of the axel.

I'm not seeing everything but have you loosened the center of the wheel hex? If this isn't applicable, I apologize but I think you could be in a situation where you need to feed a driver directly into the center of the axel.
Yea i removed the screw n pin. The videos i see on youtube the axle is connected to the hub. On the v3 Outcast its a dog bone by itself. So i cant really put a screwdriver to push the axle out if thats what u mean

I used a butane lighter to get mine off. Hold the hub so it’s pointed up about 45 degrees and heat all around it till it stinks like hot metal. The heat will travel up to the bearings and plastic hub if you hold it upside down. The black wipes off easy. It should pry off fairly easily after that. Torches work too but the lighter works the same only slower. I used a kitchen knife to pop it off. Don’t burn a hole in your rug when it pops off, lol. You can screw a m4 screw onto the axel end and put something on the back side to use a dead blow hammer lightly. If you have a table that takes a leaf just separate it enough to support the carrier on each side and give it a couple light taps.

Last edited:
Yea i removed the screw n pin. The videos i see on youtube the axle is connected to the hub. On the v3 Outcast its a dog bone by itself. So i cant really put a screwdriver to push the axle out if thats what u mean
Have you tried wedging a flat head screwdriver between the bearing and the hub and give it a little wiggle? Also and this is a long shot, are you sure the whole pin came out? Sometimes they break in two. Also, with the pin out, put the grub screw back in, and use a 17mm wrench to twist the hub back and forth. Maybe you just need to jar it loose. After the first time, they slide right off when working on them

So i woke up and got to work and all of the other 3 came out with no problem. One needed a little encouragement
The first time is always the hardest.

BFH = big friggin hammer.
Bwahahaha!
EA788CF7-3306-44A0-9357-AAF8EF285F7A.jpeg

I just removed all of the hubs on my V4 Talion. I didn't even have to heat anything up. Grub screw came out, pin slid out and the hub pulled off with ease. If fact, the only thing I had to heat up was the rear outdrive that is attached to the rear diff pinion. That one was globbed with red locktite. The front one came off without issue.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back