Granite Can putting a brand new spur gear in make the RC truck sound a little more rough?

basher27

Reaction score
I just installed a whole new slipper clutch assembly due to my hub getting stripped out from the rear input gear and noticed that it sounds a little different than it did prior. The motor is fine as I check that independently. I am just curious if I having the brand new spur gear, that seems a lot more sharp than my old one that was about two years old can have a different sound to it under load? Thank you.

Hector_Fisher

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton EXB
Gears material has a big impact on noise. Just listen to a 3s and 6s truck side by side.

But more than anything, since it's still plastic, gear mesh will drastically change sound/pitch/volume more than anything else. I'd check that first.

ChrisC

Pull my
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite Mega 2WD
  2. Typhon 3s
  3. Infraction 4x4
I'd be checking my mesh regardless.
X2.
If your old gear was 2 years old it certainly had a little wear on it. Always reset the mesh with a gear change. Yours may continue to work and quieten down over time as the pinion eats into the new spur reducing its lifespan!

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Senton 3s
Yes.. it will have that crispy "click-clack" like new.. just a few packs and the sound change will be significant.. break that sucker in.. should be good if you set mesh correctly and inputs are good