Can someone explain what these motor numbers mean?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's generally stated that y winds like timing more than d. As in they usually can handle much more timing.

WYE and DELTA wound Stators are just wired in a different sequence order. The Magnetic Flux created when current is sent through the winding is different. So Timing affects these two types of winds differently. Delta wound motors tend to be more efficient. (90%+ efficient)
This is way oversimplified. But should make some sense. This is very technical stuff.:cool:

The stator on a BLX motor is where the windings occur. "Outrunner" BLX motor are slightly different and Brushed motors have the magnetic poles (magnets) attached to the Can. Windings are at the armature. In runner BLX motor are used for Surface RC use for the most part. Some Crawler motors can be Outrunners. Many Air RC ( planes and most Drone motors are always Outrunners) With Outrunner motors, the outside of of the can actually spins around the armature. Armature being fixed. Opposite that of an Inrunner motor.
With a BLX motor, the magnets are on the armature, windings are at the stator, attached/part of the Can ( body) of the motor.

Last edited:
WYE and DELTA wound Stators are just wired in a different sequence order. The Magnetic Flux created when current is sent through the winding is different. So Timing affects these two types of winds differently. Delta wound motors tend to be more efficient. (90%+ efficient)
This is way oversimplified. But should make some sense. This is very technical stuff.:cool:

The stator on a BLX motor is where the windings occur. "Outrunner" BLX motor are slightly different and Brushed motors have the magnetic poles (magnets) attached to the Can. Windings are at the armature. In runner BLX motor are used for Surface RC use for the most part. Some Crawler motors can be Outrunners. Many Air RC ( planes and most Drone motors are always Outrunners) With Outrunner motors, the outside of of the can actually spins around the armature. Armature being fixed. Opposite that of an Inrunner motor.
With a BLX motor, the magnets are on the armature, windings are at the stator, attached/part of the Can ( body) of the motor.
Thank you Steve, this gives me a base to help my learning about this complex part of RC.

It definitely helped as I was a googling and researching. I still don’t fully understand, but I am definitely more knowledgeable than I was an hour ago.

They are all wound the same, it's a manner of connecting the individual legs. You always have 3 individual coils. Picture 3 matches on a table, arrange them facing like a Y, equal 120 deg apart, heads of all 3 to the middle, you end up with 3 open ends of those matches facing outward. Those would connect to your ESC. You will always have 2 matches (coils) in series as a result.
D wound, same coils (matches) connect them all 3 end to end in a triangle. The connection points are your ESC wires.
Only 1 coil connected to the voltage, that results in much higher current and power.
Angle, with rotation of 2 coils (Y) you can fire the ESC a little earlier as 2 coils take time to rotate through the magnetic field.
Not so much with D wind, due to the already lower resistance of just 1 coil and shorter time of rotation preference is 0 to 5 deg max. You gain little power but tons of wasted heat.
Y_ high torque and low loss during acceleration but less power at full RPM.
D wound, high current at low RPM, little less torque but full torque at high RPM.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back