Can the Castle 1717 handle 8S?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dure16

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Typhon TLR
I’ve seen a lot of posts about the Castle 1717 burning up on 8S. It usually tends to be the 1650kv version.

I have a 1260kv 1717 and am thinking about 8S.

Has anyone been running the 1260kv on 8S for a while? How’s it holding up?

I think I have about 4x 1717 1650kv and never had a problem with any on 8s. I've yet to have a problem with any of the 1717 motors tbh. Definitely some people around here who weren't as lucky tho.

I think there was a batch that had either bad rotor wrap or debris inside can.

Mine exploded the rotor on 6s. Castle promptly replaced.

When checking internet it seemed like a few people had exploded rotor too.

Castle, especially in the states (cause shipping mostly) is very supportive of their products from what I see and experienced. Am in Canada and asked them if they'd be fine if a local hobby shop (national brand) had a look instead of shipping. They agreed and it saved me money and time.

so if they say 8s / 60k rpm am sure they'll support that for warranty term.

I think I have about 4x 1717 1650kv and never had a problem with any on 8s. I've yet to have a problem with any of the 1717 motors tbh. Definitely some people around here who weren't as lucky tho.
Blasphemy...YOU...four 1717s. This mutiny will not be accepted from the TP Warrior. I DEMAND an explanation!!!

I think the 1717 is an underrated motor. My only real gripe with it is the 5mm shaft. Once you experience 8mm pinions and the oversized (or properly sized) grub screws, it's kinda hard to go back. But other than that the 1717 is a fantastic performer.

Blasphemy...YOU...four 1717s. This mutiny will not be accepted from the TP Warrior. I DEMAND an explanation!!!

But how many TPs do you think he owns? My guess is 17

You guys made me curious, so we went to count the breakdown of motors :ROFLMAO:

First of all, I've spent waaaaaay too much money.

TP motors = 18 with 2 extra not being used so 20 total. @dure16 You were extremely close!.

Castle = 6, 2x 2028 1100 kv 4x 1717 1650kv

HobbyWing = 4 with 2x 1650kv, 1x sensored 2250kv and 1x 1100kv

Leopard = 1

TP is king!! :ROFLMAO:

You guys made me curious, so we went to count the breakdown of motors :ROFLMAO:

First of all, I've spent waaaaaay too much money.

TP motors = 18 with 2 extra not being used so 20 total. @dure16 You were extremely close!.

Castle = 6, 2x 2028 1100 kv 4x 1717 1650kv

HobbyWing = 4 with 2x 1650kv, 1x sensored 2250kv and 1x 1100kv

Leopard = 1

TP is king!! :ROFLMAO:
So close!!

I’m curious - what car runs the HW 1100?

I'm also running the 1717 1650 on 8S with no issues. I'm pretty conservatively geared though; although, it does get warm after back to back speed runs.

Like any other piece of equipment you need to take care of it and everything eventually wears out.
Generally speaking, absolutely correct. But the 1717 has occasional issues with the Kevlar wraps on the rotor and will just explode. I've heard lots of people who had this happen say they were running 6S or something, not even anywhere near its max rated RPM. If you're running on 8S with conservative gearing (which will get you closer to max RPM than say an over geared setup) then yours should be fine.

How does the 1100 perform? I have one sitting on the shelf but not sure what to do with it.
it's actually pretty damn nice in her xrt. Was definitely a good buy and I'd get it again. I probably wouldn't be as happy with it in a kraton 8s but in the XRT it seems perfect.

I exploded the wrap on on both my 1717 & 1520 1650kv motors on 8S. This was on a Kraton EXB with Hoons and low gearing (18/50), very little load on them. You can't get enough gearing on the EXB with the stock motor mount/center diff anyways for small tires. The 1717 lasted for a couple packs, enough to wear through the cords on hoons front and rear. The 1520 lasted less than 30 seconds with the same setup. Both motors ran on 6S with no issues prior, the 1717 had about 15-20 6S packs through it with stock tires and 4S Backflips. The 1520 had only 2 6S packs on the Hoons through it prior. I think if I had higher gearing so they wouldn't RPM so fast they may have lived, I did order some bigger (23-24) pinions but not sure I even want to try 8S anymore after that deal. Both motors had temp protection of 160F and fans.

I exploded the wrap on on both my 1717 & 1520 1650kv motors on 8S. This was on a Kraton EXB with Hoons and low gearing (18/50), very little load on them. You can't get enough gearing on the EXB with the stock motor mount/center diff anyways for small tires. The 1717 lasted for a couple packs, enough to wear through the cords on hoons front and rear. The 1520 lasted less than 30 seconds with the same setup. Both motors ran on 6S with no issues prior, the 1717 had about 15-20 6S packs through it with stock tires and 4S Backflips. The 1520 had only 2 6S packs on the Hoons through it prior. I think if I had higher gearing so they wouldn't RPM so fast they may have lived, I did order some bigger (23-24) pinions but not sure I even want to try 8S anymore after that deal. Both motors had temp protection of 160F and fans.
wow that seems extremely unlucky but hey I had 1 xlx2 go up in flames and the replacement die on the first pack so I can believe it.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back