Typhon Can the typhon be used in roar 4wD buggy racing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robl45

Reaction score
As the subject states. Does Typhon meet the rules for 1/8th electric buggy and if so what is involved if its possible to convert an outcast to a Typhon? Son wants to try racing and I'm trying to do it economically for him

1/8th Electric Buggy
The 1/8th Electric Buggy class is for intermediate/advanced/expert racers, with electric motors and 1/8th 4wd buggy chassis.
The rules for this class are:

Chassis: Any 1/8th electric buggy specific chassis, nitro to electric converted chassis.
Motor: any 1/8th electric brushless motor.
Tires: Any rubber tire/wheel designed specifically for 1/8 buggy racing.
Bodies: Any 1/8 nitro or electric buggy body.
Minimum Weight: 3200 grams.

See ROAR rules, page 76, section 9.3.10, for all chassis rules

As the subject states. Does Typhon meet the rules for 1/8th electric buggy and if so what is involved if its possible to convert an outcast to a Typhon? Son wants to try racing and I'm trying to do it economically for him

1/8th Electric Buggy
The 1/8th Electric Buggy class is for intermediate/advanced/expert racers, with electric motors and 1/8th 4wd buggy chassis.
The rules for this class are:

Chassis: Any 1/8th electric buggy specific chassis, nitro to electric converted chassis.
Motor: any 1/8th electric brushless motor.
Tires: Any rubber tire/wheel designed specifically for 1/8 buggy racing.
Bodies: Any 1/8 nitro or electric buggy body.
Minimum Weight: 3200 grams.

See ROAR rules, page 76, section 9.3.10, for all chassis rules

I don't see why not, I hear about guys racing theirs all the time. You would probably want to change the electronics and wheels and tires. Might be better to start with a roller. My only concern is the weight at 3.27kg. You would have to find some places to cut out some weight.

Nevermind I see now that it says minimum lol.

Last edited:
Yes, but it would be cheaper to buy a roller, because you need
  • Shocks
  • driveshafts
  • stub axles
  • shock towers
  • a arms
  • steering and suspension links
  • diffs
  • and i know I am forgetting something else.

Can't I just throw buggy tires on and a buggy body? I'm just not sure how to mount the body. I suppose bigger pinion as well

Can't I just throw buggy tires on and a buggy body? I'm just not sure how to mount the body. I suppose bigger pinion as well

No because the Outcast is too wide, they would never let you race it in a buggy class.

Its that obvious huh?
For reference here is an Outcast next to a Typhon.
maxresdefault.jpg

Lol it's hard to believe that they are almost the same vehicle, sharing the same designs, isn't it?
Same chassis, chassis braces, center drive shafts, center diff, center diff mount, motor mount, steering bellcrank, bulkheads, battery tray, receiver box, motor, esc, steering servo and most screws.

First - yes, the Typhon is a ROAR legal buggy. Remember it is the RTR version of the Team Durango DEX8e - which was a great racing buggy.

Second - for the Outcast - it will depend on your local track. My local track is laid back. They would probably let me run an Outcast in the truggy class (if I put turggy tires on it) or in the buggy class (if I put buggy tires on it). The track across town is more wanna-be-pro, they would not let the Outcast run in any class other than the "run what your brung" novice.

Now, my local laid back guys would probably start to protest if I smoked them all with an outcast. But they know me, and know that is not gonna happen... LOL

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back