Can this CVD be fixed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinC

Flyboy, Cat Hoarder, Tiger Tamer, Party Crasher.
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Limitless
  3. Kraton 8S
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Kraton EXB
  6. Mojave EXB
  7. Talion
  8. Talion EXB
Hey folks.
Busted the pin on this CVD. Is there a way to get this pin out and replace it? Is it worth the trouble? The shaft is still straight and I’d rather not toss it out.

cheers,
kev
D5990A95-7BB0-4D84-93A5-8817C65A60A2.jpeg

“Back in the day” there used to be this thing called a bone saver that I used for repairing pins on my Mugen driveshafts. They cost like $60 a pair so it was worth it back then . I haven’t seen the tool for sale since and I wouldn’t know which pins would be a perfect fit for Arrma driveshafts.

Thx Slick,
Pricey eh? I wonder if I’ll break that many to warrant buying this tool. Maybe.
Pin looks like a hair over 3mm for the K8S.

cheers,
kev

Put it on a nut to hold it still so you can whack it out with a punch of some type. The pin will push into the nut. Difficult part is in replacing it with one the right size. You'll need a vice to push the new one in. You could use the vice to push out the old if you can line it all up properly.

I replaced one once and it wasn't in firmly enough so I used a 12v car battery, jumper cables and some thin steel rod to weld it in place. Not clean or recommended but 4 years later it's still working!

20200921_194223.jpg

Last edited:
Thx Jay, I tried a punch but not the nut.....I’ll give that a try.

The nut big enough for the pin to go through but small enough so's the 'ball' rests on it. Visit the model shop and find some piano wire the right size for the pin. Heat the ball up to expand the metal before you push the pin through so it grips really well when it cools. Use a flat ended punch to push it out, if it's pointed it will just jam it in more.

Last edited:
I think @Niz55 said the pins are 3.5mm, assuming your talking about the 8s?
Ya the 8s. Thx hammer..... couldn’t get this busted pin out to save my life. Glad I have spares.

cheers,
kev

I think @Niz55 said the pins are 3.5mm, assuming your talking about the 8s?

I just checked my 8s cvd pins and according to my cheap plastic caliper... They measure 3.2-3.3mm X 17.8mm

Edit: I just ordered a 3.25mm drill blank from McMaster-Carr, will report back with results.

Last edited:
Good news, my drill bank came today.

Bad news, 3.25mm is way too small... and I only ordered the one size. ??‍♂️

Apparently McMaster Carr doesn’t calculate tax and shipping until after you place your order either. I didn’t think much of it, just figured how much could a tiny drill blank cost to ship? You could practically send it in a 50¢ envelope... After I placed the oreder it said “Applicable shipping and tax will be added.”
The next day I got the email confirming the final price. Wtf! who does that?!
CB3855BC-D648-42AE-A064-84AA21A922CE.jpeg

Pretty sure it’s 3.5mm I’ll have to try again. ?
In the meantime I might try epoxying the 3.25mm into one of my broken ones, just for kicks.

Good news, my drill bank came today.

Bad news, 3.25mm is way too small... and I only ordered the one size. ??‍♂️

Apparently McMaster Carr doesn’t calculate tax and shipping until after you place your order either. I didn’t think much of it, just figured how much could a tiny drill blank cost to ship? You could practically send it in a 50¢ envelope... After I placed the oreder it said “Applicable shipping and tax will be added.”
The next day I got the email confirming the final price. Wtf! who does that?!
View attachment 101489
Pretty sure it’s 3.5mm I’ll have to try again. ?
In the meantime I might try epoxying the 3.25mm into one of my broken ones, just for kicks.
They really get you with the shipping.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back