Can we get a (sticky) FAQ on basics of motor specs / servo specs / ESC, BEC, etc?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowerDubs

Military Veteran
Reaction score
I had RC when I was a kid in the 80's. But most of us young kids, at least the ones who I knew back then.. bought something the guy at the hobby store gave us, and didn't know the technical details.

So while I know of grasshopper, monster beetle, vanessa's lunchbox, wild willy, blackfoot, etc- I wasn't deep enough in the hobby- and as some of you may or may not be of the same age to understand- information back then was completely different and waaay less available than it is in the last 20 years. Most anything I was into in my youth- use dirtbikes for example, was learned from a monthly mag bought at the local store.

So greater detail into the inner workings of my plastic toy that took hours to charge, ran out of juice in 15 minutes, and broke when you sneezed at it- well, lets just say we live in a much better world now.

All that now said- I just broke my stock servo. Those were easy enough for me to grasp the basics and pick one.

.... but that brought me further into the rabbit hole- I would like to run it on higher voltage than 6, and our cars can't do that.

So my options appear to be a BEC, but then I see I need an accessory part to the BEC to raises it's voltage (seems dumb and a money grab)... so why not just buy a better ESC at that price point? And if I am buying another ESC, I might as well buy an ESC motor kit- but I have ZERO idea what any of the motor specs mean.....

a better esc won't solve your problem. many higher tier escs have somewhat lackluster becs that may suffer if you try to use a high voltage high amperage servo.

Back to square 1.

Aside from Bluetooth features I wouldn't need a better esc or motor as they are plenty power for me. So if it's power your after go for it, otherwise just get the bec.
To adjust your say castle bec you would need a castle link which is another $20, or some shops program for $10 fee.
If you were local to me I'd do it for free for you. So what are really your wants? Upgrading is never cheap and sometimes a real pita

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back