Big Rock Can you help identify which part I broke?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwilson1873

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Can someone help me identify which part I broke? I hit a curb at a pretty good speed and now my front left wheel and tire are way out of alignment.
The front left leans way in and it can turn much further than the front right. Hopefully the pictures help.

I have pulled the wheel off and I don’t see any obvious damage or broken suspension parts?

thank you guys in advance!

4C6E17B5-1321-4EFB-A08F-07ED5EA3D7ED.jpeg
9777C517-5F28-47D5-A6ED-4894DD4551A2.jpeg
8CD11FD5-4556-45ED-ABBC-1DF1CF4F6A22.jpeg
FFAAB2CE-E9C4-4985-B303-E20A6C8CFA71.jpeg

Check the ackerman plate at center. It wasnt visible in the pics. You need to tear down some of that rig to inpsect further. How does it drive.?Does it center straight at all?

Show a pic with the wheels straight powered on and centered. Is the problem at full left only?

Can someone help me identify which part I broke? I hit a curb at a pretty good speed and now my front left wheel and tire are way out of alignment.
The front left leans way in and it can turn much further than the front right. Hopefully the pictures help.

I have pulled the wheel off and I don’t see any obvious damage or broken suspension parts?

thank you guys in advance!

View attachment 88606View attachment 88606View attachment 88607View attachment 88608View attachment 88609View attachment 88606
It looks like you broke a steering block. I've broken two and it looks just like that. take the wheel back off and take the bolts out of the top and bottom of the hub, along with taking the drive shaft out.
This is the part:
https://www.hobbytown.com/arrma-4x4-steering-block-2-ara330469/p707204

Hub issue. Remove the wheel and examine the hub. Break out your parts manual and find what you need. @Peteyk49 is right. A good eye. Good call.

Check the ackerman plate at center. It wasnt visible in the pics. You need to tear down some of that rig to inpsect further. How does it drive.?Does it center straight at all?

thank you for the quick reply.
I will try to tear into it more when I’m home from work.
It does drive straight. I can actually operate the truck without issue, but obviously somethings not right.

is the Ackerman plate under the truck or above?

I don't think its the ackerman plate now that the hub was pointed out. But the Ackerman connects the left and right steering links. In the center underneath the top plate. But with a hit like that, you need to check the whole ST setup including your servo.

Thanks for all the reply’s! I will post a picture with the power on and the wheels centered.

How would I go about checking the servo?

I guess you could say I was a little rusty after being out of the hobby for 10+ years. I just got this big rock as a Father’s Day gift and I love it! Unfortunately, this crash happened during my first run with it. Haha.
I guess you could say I was a little rusty after being out of the hobby for 10+ years. I just got this big rock as a Father’s Day gift and I love it! Unfortunately, this crash happened during my first run with it. Haha.

I will tear into the hub a bit and send some pictures.

Do you guys recommend upgrading these parts to aftermarket? If so, which brand?

I notice the delay in steering and throttle response. I have read some of the threads about the servos. Which parts would I need to replace the servo?
Thank you again for all the help!

Thanks for all the reply’s! I will post a picture with the power on and the wheels centered.

How would I go about checking the servo?

I will tear into the hub a bit and send some pictures.

Do you guys recommend upgrading these parts to aftermarket? If so, which brand?

I notice the delay in steering and throttle response. I have read some of the threads about the servos. Which parts would I need to replace the servo?
Thank you again for all the help!
The response issue are most likely the transmitter and receiver (remote). That was the best upgrade so far on my sons brcc

Regarding the servo...just replace it as one unit. You admit user error, perhaps just replacing with stock parts and driving easier till you get the hang of it again will work. If the servo appears too weak for your liking, driving becomes more difficult also. Carnage will result. The Stock radio has extremely high latency with TH and ST inputs. ( poor response)That's well known also. Just trying to keep things in perspective. Good luck.

Steering Block it is. I finally had a chance to dig into it this morning and this is what I found.

Based on your reply’s I went ahead and ordered two sets of C-hubs and Steering blocks yesterday so hopefully I’ll be back at it shortly.

I went with the plastic standard replacement parts for now while I work on getting used to the driving thing haha.

thanks again for all of your help!

DBACA0FA-FB57-4E35-B299-217C5369CFE7.jpeg

Attachments

• B8845E3F-D3CB-41AA-948A-E3A4A41E1F03.jpeg
    B8845E3F-D3CB-41AA-948A-E3A4A41E1F03.jpeg
    296.6 KB · Views: 32
Steering Block it is. I finally had a chance to dig into it this morning and this is what I found.

Based on your reply’s I went ahead and ordered two sets of C-hubs and Steering blocks yesterday so hopefully I’ll be back at it shortly.

I went with the plastic standard replacement parts for now while I work on getting used to the driving thing haha.

thanks again for all of your help!

View attachment 88700

I had a very similar break with my steering block (pics in my build thread). But the crash that caused it wasn’t nearly as big as what you describe. Just a small jump in the backyard. I emailed Horizon with an explanation and pictures and they sent me a replacement part under warranty.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back