Can you plug lipo charger into extension lead without any safety issues? Also minimum temp to charge outside?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlazingFast

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I want to only charge Lipos in the garden so if the worst happens it is no big deal.

To do this I need to throw an extension lead cable out of the window.

Would there be any issues plugging a lipo charger into an extension lead? Does it matter on length of the extension?

Can I also charge Lipos outside in the UK winter weather which will be anywhere from 0-12? I think I have seen somewhere I should be okay as long as it is above 0 is that right?

I use my chargers on an extension cord. They don't pull that many amps, my charger uses 3.5 amps max from ac input.

So to answer your question, extensions are okay.

I do not know about charging in cold weather however

Should be no problem.
Lipo's don't like cold, so not sure about charging them when it's (close to) freezing.
I always charge indoors, in a Bat-Safe. I think if you use decent lipo's, a decent charger (that soudns an alarm when you select the wrong number of cells etc.) and after everyone run check the condition of each cell it's relativerly cafe the charge indoors. Just make sure the Bat-Safe is close to an outside door in case of emenrgency. Just my opinion.

Most extensions (to my knowledge) are designed to handle 13 amps at their full length, and I run a pretty hefty charger and even that only pulls 4.1A @ 240v.
I'd hazard a guess that you aren't remotely close to the 13A your extension will be rated for.

All of the above. (y)

The longer your extension cord is more power/amps it loses. Not a lot and def not enough to affect a charger. If you were running a tiller or ac then you would not want it too long. I was looking to get an electric tiller for my track, but it was over 100' from my outlet and I read that over 100' would decrease the power/amps and prob cause damage. So I got a gas one. 😁

I have dozens of lipos and 6 Bat-Safes (mini and large) I store them in and the smaller ones I take with me when I go out with the rigs.

Just make sure the Bat-Safe is close to an outside door in case of emenrgency. Just my opinion.
Agree 100%. Mine are about 15' from a double door exterior entrance. I also keep a fire blanket and a small kitchen extinguisher nearby just in case. (y)

They are pretty safe as long as you handle, charge and use them responsibly. NEVER discharge all the way and NEVER leave fully charged for more than 24-48 hrs max. (y)

If you have a partner and you burn up their prized petunias and roses, they ain't gonna be happy! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:✌️

Yes amperage pull is typically going to be slightly higher when using an extension cord due to the increased resistance over the long cord, but shouldn't be much enough to worry about. Most of the amps you're going to be seeing through the charger are going to be knocked down on the extension cord by the fact that you're pulling much higher voltage through the wall that is needed for the battery (120/240v etc). If you're concerned, you could always get something like this to validate the amp pull isn't too high.
https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electricity-Usage-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU/

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back