Talion Can you start a nitro car without starter box

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Break-in takes patients. No patients= bricked piston and sleeve. Nitros are not meant for immediate gratification. That comes much later with a strong engine. There is an initial break-in and subsequent running break-in. Depending how it is done a gallon later she is at her best. Break-in the engine with one selected brand and specific nitro percent of fuel. Stay there. Don't deviate. Don't change it up. Especially for the first Gallon of fuel. Don't cheap out on fuel either. Just some rough pointers out the gate.

Break-in takes patients. No patients= bricked piston and sleeve. Nitros are not meant for immediate gratification. That comes much later with a strong engine. There is an initial break-in and subsequent running break-in. Depending how it is done a gallon later she is at her best. Break-in the engine with one selected brand and specific nitro percent of fuel. Stay there. Don't deviate. Don't change it up. Especially for the first Gallon of fuel. Don't cheap out on fuel either. Just some rough pointers out the gate.
You have to be a doctor to break in an engine? I don’t have that kind of patience.

I know with my dynamite .28 rtr engine, I went from 30% then 25% to 20% nitro, all within 8 months of owning the truck. (Varied between Byron's and VP). I would say the sweet spot for that rtr engine for performance is 25% nitro from VP. (Of course tuning is a factor however, so is fuel)...

don't cheap out on fuel and stock up on your clutch bell bearings...

No after a quart it is not even close to broken in. You rush this and you will have major issues. Just keep cycling those temps and let me know when you are done with a quart. Please do not touch any screws. I won't be able to help if you do. I have nitro in my blood for over 15 years so please listen to what I say. That is the first mistake everyone make is playing with those screws.

I know with my dynamite .28 rtr engine, I went from 30% then 25% to 20% nitro, all within 8 months of owning the truck. (Varied between Byron's and VP). I would say the sweet spot for that rtr engine for performance is 25% nitro from VP. (Of course tuning is a factor however, so is fuel)...

don't cheap out on fuel and stock up on your clutch bell bearings...
That's what I am using vp
No after a quart it is not even close to broken in. You rush this and you will have major issues. Just keep cycling those temps and let me know when you are done with a quart. Please do not touch any screws. I won't be able to help if you do. I have nitro in my blood for over 15 years so please listen to what I say. That is the first mistake everyone make is playing with those screws.
I'm almost done just let idle again for 15 mins and I'm watching my temps to.

You have to be a doctor to break in an engine? I don’t have that kind of patience.
Its true. There's a learning curve. Its muscle memory. If you run your nitros infrequently, they appear more temperamental. Its very procedural. Cant deviate. Ambient temps and humidity play a big part. Have to be retuned everytime. Often overlooked. Need a temp gun. Mandatory. Yeah they are not like lipo driven RC's for sure. And not even as fast. The mechanical brakes feel better than Electrics. Most time is spent caring and storing for them properly. The smell, smoke and the noise are all part of the enjoyment. But lately I rather not smell nitro. Glow plugs cost big too for the durable ones. Hard to find locally. After run oil is mandatory. You just cant toss your rig to the side when finished or you risk damge to the carb and piston. Yes messy too. The good fuels are expensive. Finding fresh fuel is key. Sometimes you buy an old batch that was sitting around. Hard to control that too. You have to buy the quantity that you will use within 6 months or way less. Buy a gallon and let it sit for a year and you wasted $$$. N.Fuel absorbs water. Been there. But nitro is fun still.

Yeah it is pretty annoying but I needed to experience this nitro thing for my self so far it's a pain in the ass. Which is why I went with the rtr not a kit cause I expected this to be a thorn in my side. IDK I guess I'm ma masochist.

The generl rule of thumb is that you always want to see smoke out the pipe under load. And blipping the throttle when idling for too long is important. You need to clear the crankcase of buildup. @Lovestricken has you covered.

your biggest hurdle to overcome will be understanding and noticing what the engine needs/ wants... as stated the temp, humidity, elevation all play roll in needle settings.. no two locations or days will yield the same needle setting with optimum performance in mind...

my hats off to @Lovestricken for taking the time to help you out.. being from a nitro background myself, its extremely tough to know exactly whats going on without being present at the time... therfor extremely tough to guide a person through a tune on a particular day...

Its a grey area and an estimate at best... this is typically what we (i was) in the engine business would shy away from, its unfortunate, but it was solely up to them to "figure it out" (awful right? but it is just like that even from a manufacturer) conservative settings were provided that were more than safe, the rest was up to them...

im just sharing my experience, and mainly shouting out @Lovestricken for being a stand up guy... ? i have nitro deep in my roots, i loved reading rhis thread, and im glad nitro is still around.. ?

your biggest hurdle to overcome will be understanding and noticing what the engine needs/ wants... as stated the temp, humidity, elevation all play roll in needle settings.. no two locations or days will yield the same needle setting with optimum performance in mind...

my hats off to @Lovestricken for taking the time to help you out.. being from a nitro background myself, its extremely tough to know exactly whats going on without being present at the time... therfor extremely tough to guide a person through a tune on a particular day...

Its a grey area and an estimate at best... this is typically what we (i was) in the engine business would shy away from, its unfortunate, but it was solely up to them to "figure it out" (awful right? but it is just like that even from a manufacturer) conservative settings were provided that were more than safe, the rest was up to them...

im just sharing my experience, and mainly shouting out @Lovestricken for being a stand up guy... ? i have nitro deep in my roots, i loved reading rhis thread, and im glad nitro is still around.. ?
I love nitro and am a die hard for it. I know it can be very difficult at first to understand and figure out. Trust me I paid my dues on playing with bad setting and making them worse lol. I just want him or another to have a fair go at it.

I think Traxxas were the only ones to even make an attempt at helping new nitro users with their nitro engine break-in video. It's been a while since I watched it but I think they just went over the basics.

I love nitro and am a die hard for it. I know it can be very difficult at first to understand and figure out. Trust me I paid my dues on playing with bad setting and making them worse lol. I just want him or another to have a fair go at it.
Thank you lovestricken for your RC experience. I hope you share your knowledge with other people.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back