Can you use a mod 1 pinion in a 3s truck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was looking at Robinson racing pinions they only com in mod 1. Factory pinion mod 0.8. Can't find anything on Innerweb. Help
You can use a mod 1 pinion with a 32p spur. RR definitely make 32p pinion gears because I own several.

Was looking at Robinson racing pinions they only com in mod 1. Factory pinion mod 0.8. Can't find anything on Innerweb. Help
The only pitch you could use with the 0.8 is a 32p. Mod 1 will not work. From Roger's Hobby:

"A gear ratio is a measure of how many times one gear spins compared to another one (something we'll get into later). Gearing up refers to decreasing the gear ratio, and gearing down increases it. When we start discussing motors, we'll be referring to the Kv of the motor, which is a short way of referencing the motor's RPM per volt applied to the motor (when spinning without a load). The tooth count is how many teeth are on the gear, and the pitch of the gear refers to the number of teeth per inch of the gear's diameter. There are a few common sizes we use in R/C, such as 32-pitch (32P), 48-pitch (48P), and 64-pitch (64P). There is also a metric variant on pitch, the module, and the common sizes there are 1Mod, 0.8Mod, and 0.6Mod. It's worth knowing 32-pitch and 0.8Mod are the same thing, and can be used interchangeably. There are some that believe 48-pitch and 0.6Mod are also identical, but that is incorrect — while they may be very similar, over time you will notice some wearing on the teeth where they don't fit together exactly right"
This is the full write up:
https://rogershobbycenter.com/rc-gearing-101

Correct me if I am wrong. Mod .8 is 32pitch?

Correct me if I am wrong. Mod .8 is 32pitch?

Very close. From Robinson Racing's site:

Been using mod .8 pinions on my 32P spur in my two Axial crawlers for quite a while. With no discernable difference. With my TRX-4 Crawler, (was free poop from a friend) I don't think its a great idea to mix and match because Traxxas uses a pre-meshed motor mount design that doesn't allow you to set mesh yourself. That design always gave me problems with noise and wear just using the matched OE Pin. and Spur.
I have seen heated discussions of opinion regarding Mod.8/32p matching on another forum. We can put that to rest here.
Robinson Racing knows best. I follow their lead. They are the Gear guys for sure.(y)

Last edited:
The only pitch you could use with the 0.8 is a 32p. Mod 1 will not work. From Roger's Hobby:

"A gear ratio is a measure of how many times one gear spins compared to another one (something we'll get into later). Gearing up refers to decreasing the gear ratio, and gearing down increases it. When we start discussing motors, we'll be referring to the Kv of the motor, which is a short way of referencing the motor's RPM per volt applied to the motor (when spinning without a load). The tooth count is how many teeth are on the gear, and the pitch of the gear refers to the number of teeth per inch of the gear's diameter. There are a few common sizes we use in R/C, such as 32-pitch (32P), 48-pitch (48P), and 64-pitch (64P). There is also a metric variant on pitch, the module, and the common sizes there are 1Mod, 0.8Mod, and 0.6Mod. It's worth knowing 32-pitch and 0.8Mod are the same thing, and can be used interchangeably. There are some that believe 48-pitch and 0.6Mod are also identical, but that is incorrect — while they may be very similar, over time you will notice some wearing on the teeth where they don't fit together exactly right"
This is the full write up:
https://rogershobbycenter.com/rc-gearing-101
This may be an old tread but it sure helped me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back