Kraton Cant catch a "break"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kraton_Kev

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Last week I managed to break my wing mount. No big deal. I ordered a HR wing mount and overnighted it from Amain hobbies. Install went well and it looks great! I was debating going with RPM as the plastic would allow some flex and absorb some shock and possibly prevent damage elsewhere. But, impulse buy, whatever it's already on there lol.
20180921_182221.jpg

Then I started inspecting everything else and noticed my receiver antenna was smashed to smithereens (now it makes sense why I would loose signal before ~100ft) I was going to change it back to stock (previous owner installed a Traxxas TSM receiver) but the finding kinda harshed my mellow for the time being.

2 weeks ago I replaced my front gearbox case because one of the threads for the gear case broke off and the screws had nothing to grab on to. It was just chillen there. Upon my inspections today, I need to replace it AGAIN. I think i may end up just going with the HR gear case. Because why not? Lol. My Kraton has several HR part already, I may as well ask for a sponsorship! Jk.

As you can see... The head of 1 screw snapped, so I'm unable to recover it. And on the right, the gear case thread broke, exactly like before and even bent the screw. I suspect when I did my last speed run in the parking lot that the gear case damage happened. I lost signal and smacked the curb. Not too fast, but enough to inflict damage.

20180921_183509.jpg

Stainless steel screws break pretty easily.

I replaced my front gear box for the 3rd time as well this week. Last time was due to 2 of the screws pulling the threads out and allowing my diff to skip and grind the tips off teeth on the ring gear. Then on my rear at that same time, I had the upper screws for the diff cover rip the threads on the rear due to my t-bone wheelie bar adding extra leverage on them. That's what I got the new diff case/bulkhead for this week. However, upon installing the front upper/rear hinge pin retainer I broke with a Voltage piece, I found that I busted both ears from the front bulkhead/diff case that the top plate screws to. So now I have a busted front diff case and stripped threads on the rear diff case again.

I put the new case on the front, then on the rear, since it was the upper diff cap screws, I drilled a pilot hole clear through, then ran a bolt long enough to stick out the back side. I also mounted the t-bone bumper differently in hopes it won't happen again.

Just seems like these diff cases are either brittle or they don't have enough material in places that matter. At $14 a piece shipped, it's starting to add up pretty quickly.

Stainless steel screws break pretty easily.

I replaced my front gear box for the 3rd time as well this week. Last time was due to 2 of the screws pulling the threads out and allowing my diff to skip and grind the tips off teeth on the ring gear. Then on my rear at that same time, I had the upper screws for the diff cover rip the threads on the rear due to my t-bone wheelie bar adding extra leverage on them. That's what I got the new diff case/bulkhead for this week. However, upon installing the front upper/rear hinge pin retainer I broke with a Voltage piece, I found that I busted both ears from the front bulkhead/diff case that the top plate screws to. So now I have a busted front diff case and stripped threads on the rear diff case again.

I put the new case on the front, then on the rear, since it was the upper diff cap screws, I drilled a pilot hole clear through, then ran a bolt long enough to stick out the back side. I also mounted the t-bone bumper differently in hopes it won't happen again.

Just seems like these diff cases are either brittle or they don't have enough material in places that matter. At $14 a piece shipped, it's starting to add up pretty quickly.
I have an RPM front bumper. Extends past stock bumper by about 2 or so inches. My last run was at a concrete skate park. I'll see if I could upload my video. What sucks too, I just placed on a new body and the hold for the body clips in the front already stripped out. Thinking of a using some washers to prevent the body going through the clips.

I'm hoping the HR diff cases are as tough as they look.

It's just part of the game. The harder you bash the more you'll spend.
I'm averaging about $180 every month in parts (some necessary some not), but I love working on it and it puts a smile on my face every time I run it.

It's just part of the game. The harder you bash the more you'll spend.
I'm averaging about $180 every month in parts (some necessary some not), but I love working on it and it puts a smile on my face every time I run it.
Great way to put it. Long hours through the week, nothing better to do than ripping around and hitting jumps. I'm probably around that same in parts. Trying to get spares too. It's hard to predict what you'll break next haha.

Great way to put it. Long hours through the week, nothing better to do than ripping around and hitting jumps. I'm probably around that same in parts. Trying to get spares too. It's hard to predict what you'll break next haha.

Get some spare dogbones. They bend.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back