Can't unscrew stock arrma mega motor bolt using hex screws

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ces'tLaVie

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Need some help as I couldn't unscrew the two motor bolts attached to the stock motor of my arrma granite mega using my hex driver. The stock screws are too tight. My motor is a brushed one that's why I need first to disassemble the motor from the body and perform a break-in. I'm new to this hobby that's why I don't know other means to solve this. Please help. Thank you in advance!

Are you using the right size hex driver? I am pretty sure that it is 2mm.

Best regards,
Brian

Are you using the right size hex driver? I am pretty sure that it is 2mm.

Best regards,
Brian
Hi sir,

Yes I'm using a 2mm hex driver. I'm thinking maybe because I bought it as RTR that's why the screws are way too tight from stock. How will I be able to unscrew this sir? Thank you for the reply sir!

If it has lock tight on it which usually it does from factory.what I do is take a hot soldering gun put the tip of soldering gun on the screw for a few minutes it melts the lock tight then try to unscrew it..or put a vise grip tight on the mm driver u using also..Hope all works out for you..

If it has lock tight on it which usually it does from factory.what I do is take a hot soldering gun put the tip of soldering gun on the screw for a few minutes it melts the lock tight then try to unscrew it..or put a vise grip tight on the mm driver u using also..Hope all works out for you..
Hi sir, do rc straight from factory apply lock tight on the screws? If so, maybe I have to apply something hot to the screws to loosen a bit the tightness. I have uploaded the actual hex nut right now. Thank you for the replies!

20170907_080236.jpg

Hi sir, do rc straight from factory apply lock tight on the screws? If so, maybe I have to apply something hot to the screws to loosen a bit the tightness. I have uploaded the actual hex nut right now. Thank you for the replies!

Also if you have a small vise grip you can grip on the hex screw and turn it..or if you have a dremel u can make a line across the hex screw deep enough to use a flat screw driver to unscrew it..

Also if you have a small vise grip you can grip on the hex screw and turn it..or if you have a dremel u can make a line across the hex screw deep enough to use a flat screw driver to unscrew it..

Will do sir thank you very much!

I had the same issue on my granite. Heating them didn't work and I stripped em. I just used dremel and a regular screwdriver been using them like that ever since. Where ever these arrma vehicles are assembled they loveeeee there loctite!! All 3 arrma I own had same issues!!!

It looks like at least the one screw is stripped out. It's really important that you uses a high quality hex driver or Allen wrench. I recommend the Dynamite hex drivers. As mentioned by the other poster. You shoudl be able to slit the screw and get it out with a flat head screw driver.

Best regards,
Brian

Thank you for the replies sir! Will consider all your suggestions. Thank you again!

Regards,
Ces'tLaVie

Arrma puts a teaspoon of loctite on those motor mount screws. I was not able to get them loose after 30 minutes of heating with 150W soldering iron, but stripped them instead. Then I put the car upside down on an anvil, making sure that only the motor mount was in contact with it. I then hammered in a torx bit, that was one size too big, into the stripped hex screw, mounted a ratchet on the torx bit and managed to get the screw loose.

Some hex bits have a somewhat rounded tip, others are more square (note the differences are tiny). I have several different bits, all the same size, just for this purpose, as screws are different shaped on the inside. A rounded tip in a square hex screw will only work if the screw is not very much tightened. When the screw is damaged already, the advice from Permafrost is a very usable one...

Some hex bits have a somewhat rounded tip, others are more square (note the differences are tiny). I have several different bits, all the same size, just for this purpose, as screws are different shaped on the inside. A rounded tip in a square hex screw will only work if the screw is not very much tightened. When the screw is damaged already, the advice from Permafrost is a very usable one...
Yes sir hopefully I can fix this tomorrow as I will go to the local hobby store to pickup some body shell and tamiya paints. Thank you very much!

Regards,
Ces'tLaVie

Holy grave digging Batman!

Yes, the Mega comes with a brushed motor that needs broken in. ??‍♂️✌?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back