Cap pack: castle mamba X 8s ESC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddywatson

T3ddy B4gW3LL
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
Hey guys I’ve just got a castle mamba X 8s ESC that I’m going to install into my Typhon. Now do I need a cap pack for it?
I will be running 2x3s Spektrum 5000mAh 100c batteries

I will use it mainly for speed runs. However I might do a bash now and again.

if it’s a 100% requirement then I want to avoid any soldering lol is there anyway around this?

If I don’t use a cap pack what will the consequences be? Good or bad?
Thanks for your time

Just a thought but could I remove the cap pack from the stock typhon v5 and install it onto the castle mamba x 8s?
I won’t be doing that… but in theory could it be done and would work fine?

Just a thought but could I remove the cap pack from the stock typhon v5 and install it onto the castle mamba x 8s?
I won’t be doing that… but in theory could it be done and would work fine?
I mean it would work.. but I don't know how well. Since the mmx8 pulls more amps than the firma system. Could just be a waste of time... there's so many different cap packs.

I mean it would work.. but I don't know how well. Since the mmx8 pulls more amps than the firma system. Could just be a waste of time... there's so many different cap packs.
It would be better than no cap pack, but it would be very little help as it is a very small capacity pack. As far as a 6S vs 8S cap pack, I would have ordered the 8S rated myself. If you ever decide to go 8S, you’ll need to replace the 6S pack.

Yeh the ripple killer will arrive Monday… but I really want to test my new mamba X 8s etc before then (hopefully the weekend) and just do not over do it until it arrives lol

also please can people post some video tutorials on how to solder the cap pack? I know there is many out there but is there any In particular that are really good? Thanks

Yeh the ripple killer will arrive Monday… but I really want to test my new mamba X 8s etc before then (hopefully the weekend) and just do not over do it until it arrives lol

also please can people post some video tutorials on how to solder the cap pack? I know there is many out there but is there any In particular that are really good? Thanks
I don’t have a video, but I just slice a small piece of the ESC wire jacket off close to the ESC end. Then heat up the wire there and let it suck in a little solder. You don’t want a ton of solder in there as it will make it too stiff.

Then slide on a piece of heat shrink tube, try to get it as far away from the splice as you can do it doesn’t shrink up.

Now take the end of the cap pack and solder it to this new spot. Make sure it gets enough heat and solder to stick well.

Test it by letting it cool and give it a little tug. If it seems solid, push the shrink wrap over the solder joint and give it some heat to shrink it up. All done.

I don’t have a video, but I just slice a small piece of the ESC wire jacket off close to the ESC end. Then heat up the wire there and let it suck in a little solder. You don’t want a ton of solder in there as it will make it too stiff.

Then slide on a piece of heat shrink tube, try to get it as far away from the splice as you can do it doesn’t shrink up.

Now take the end of the cap pack and solder it to this new spot. Make sure it gets enough heat and solder to stick well.

Test it by letting it cool and give it a little tug. If it seems solid, push the shrink wrap over the solder joint and give it some heat to shrink it up. All done.
What do you mean by let it suck to n a little solder? How does it suck it in?

What do you mean by let it suck to n a little solder? How does it suck it in?
Heat attracts solder. When you heat the wire and then touch the solder wire to the heated part, the solder will melt into the wire. The more solder you add, the stiffer the wire will become when cool. This will make the part more susceptible to breakage. You want flexible parts, not rigid. So don’t feed more solder than you need. It’s something you will just get a feel for.

It would be better than no cap pack, but it would be very little help as it is a very small capacity pack. As far as a 6S vs 8S cap pack, I would have ordered the 8S rated myself. If you ever decide to go 8S, you’ll need to replace the 6S pack.
You can run 8s with a 6s cap pack it just wouldn't regulate the ripple as well but no need to replace it I asked that same question to Philip jolly himself and that's what he told me.

You can run 8s with a 6s cap pack it just wouldn't regulate the ripple as well but no need to replace it I asked that same question to Philip jolly himself and that's what he told me.
It’s okay I think…. As I use 6s battery so I ordered 6s ripple pack so hopefully it will be adequate

That’s not the way I would have expected him to answer that question. Usually the difference in cap packs is the rated voltage of the capacitors inside. If he uses 25V, 35V, or 50V caps, then you would have to use them accordingly. If a 6S pack is made with 35V caps, then he would be right. But if 6S packs are made with 25V caps and you run them on 8S, I would expect a bad outcome.

Pull your data logs and make sure the ripple voltage is less than 10% of total pack voltage when fully charged. Once ripple voltage reaches 10%or higher a cap pack is necessary to keep from damaging the esc
^^^ This.
The simple rule to follow.
You will never know if you are exceeding Ripple volts unless you pull data logs.
With the MMX8s, some do fine without a cap pack, some don't. You can play it safe and use one anyway, or just check logs to see if its even needed in the first place. Your call. Some setups never exceed the critical Ripple threshold. You wont fry your ESC if you get higher than wanted Ripple initially. But continuously running exceeded ripple will lead to a shorter life of the ESC. The Mosfet(s) will fry at some point sooner than later.
That’s not the way I would have expected him to answer that question. Usually the difference in cap packs is the rated voltage of the capacitors inside. If he uses 25V, 35V, or 50V caps, then you would have to use them accordingly. If a 6S pack is made with 35V caps, then he would be right. But if 6S packs are made with 25V caps and you run them on 8S, I would expect a bad outcome.

Adding to the above, from an electrical engineering design principal, you always source a cap with double the Volts, that your Lipo has at a minimum when you can.
Also, at the very very minimum, uf's need to be 16,000+ combined across your cap bank to even start to be effective enough.
Are the castle creations cap packs any good guys
Thanks
Depends what the specs are. If you can find what they are. (Total uF's across the bank and max voltage capacity.)
I preferr building my own. I know what I am getting. Soldering skill necessary of course.
I beg to differ. Using 6s cap bank specs in an 8s setup, is not correct. If you have a CC ESC, only data logs will dictate.
But many say Mr. Jolly is the final word.:unsure:

Last edited:
Back