Premium members don't see ads. Clickhereto upgrade.

Cap pack or not?

Coopsonthefarm

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
, Talion,
I’m running a hobbywing max 6 with a 4292 hobbystar motor. I’m an off road basher. Will a cap pack help my system run cooler? Do I need one? What’s the difference between this and a glitch buster? Thanks for the help.

LibertyMKiii

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Capacitors help minimize oscillations in the voltage. This reduces stress on the esc.
Measurable heat difference on the ESC? Probably not...
Increase the life of the ESC? Maybe, but it has been argued that cost of some cap packs cost nearly half of the ESC.

99% of the time it is used for high speed rigs and bashers seem to operate fine without them. HobbyWing ESCs seem to be quite resilient to the abuse we put them through.

Glitch buster essentially does the same thing but is designed to connect closer to the servo side of the electrical circuit to help supply power on demand when the servo needs it. Most commonly used on higher voltage aftermarket servo units.

Coopsonthefarm

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
, Talion,
Capacitors help minimize oscillations in the voltage. This reduces stress on the esc.
Increase the life of the ESC? Maybe, but it has been argued that cost of some cap packs cost nearly half of the ESC.

99% of the time it is used for high speed rigs and bashers seem to operate fine without them. HobbyWing ESCs seem to be quite resilient to the abuse we put them through.

Glitch buster essentially does the same thing but is designed to connect closer to the servo side of the electrical circuit to help supply power on demand when the servo needs it. Most commonly used on higher voltage aftermarket servo units.
Thanks so much for that, Super helpful 🤙🏽

Ari33

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Typhon 6s
Cap banks are marketed as 'speed improvers', 'punch increasers' and to reduce voltage droop but in reality they have a very minimal effect on all of these things especially if you are using lipis of a reasonable discharge rating.... and any advantage is offset by the weight imo.

They do smooth out voltage ripple and remove spikes... but I doubt you would need THAT amount of capacitance to do that.... Unnecessary ballast?

I fly fpv racing quads where voltage spikes (noise) can be a very real issue and even spikes of up to 30v on 4s have been seen in some cases which is the reason why tend to opt for 35v caps to cover nearly all bases for 4s... as most of us don't have access to a scope.
It can affect the fpv picture and adding some low esr capacitance can help absorb these spikes and improve the fpv analogue picture being transmitted by the VTX. A welcome side effect is that it will likely improve the reliability of all the electronics on the quad by removing high voltage spikes that may be above the specs of some individual electrical components used on the various quad components.
I'm new to the rc car side but I'd say its probably quite likely to be a potential issue worth protecting against here too.
We tend to use high C lipos so none of us have ever experienced any performance boost of the quad itself, we just use them for smoothing.

You'd really need to measure your buggy on an oscilloscope to see if it would benefit from additional capacitance over whats already on the esc.

Too see the transient spikes created by escs that we quad guys are experiencing see-

Hope that helps.

LibertyMKiii

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Cap banks are marketed as 'speed improvers', 'punch increasers' and to reduce voltage droop but in reality they have a very minimal effect on all of these things especially if you are using lipis of a reasonable discharge rating.... and any advantage is offset by the weight imo.

They do smooth out voltage ripple and remove spikes... but I doubt you would need THAT amount of capacitance to do that.... Unnecessary ballast?

I fly fpv racing quads where voltage spikes (noise) can be a very real issue and even spikes of up to 30v on 4s have been seen in some cases which is the reason why tend to opt for 35v caps to cover nearly all bases for 4s... as most of us don't have access to a scope.
It can affect the fpv picture and adding some low esr capacitance can help absorb these spikes and improve the fpv analogue picture being transmitted by the VTX. A welcome side effect is that it will likely improve the reliability of all the electronics on the quad by removing high voltage spikes that may be above the specs of some individual electrical components used on the various quad components.
I'm new to the rc car side but I'd say its probably quite likely to be a potential issue worth protecting against here too.
We tend to use high C lipos so none of us have ever experienced any performance boost of the quad itself, we just use them for smoothing.

You'd really need to measure your buggy on an oscilloscope to see if it would benefit from additional capacitance over whats already on the esc.

Too see the transient spikes created by escs that we quad guys are experiencing see-

Hope that helps.
Could agree more. There is sort of a urban legend around cap packs providing POWER. In reality their ability to provide any sort of amperage is very minimal. On their own they cannot power the esc and motor for 0.5 seconds. Even running small ESC and motor fans they don't last but a few seconds and those motors are pulling 0.5 amps.

SrC

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
, Notorious

Glitch buster is just another capacitor. Don't let the fancy name fool you. Its just a capacitor like the rest. Some caps have different ratings. The higher the rating the better it works and the more it will cost....if even needed at all. Some use it as insurance. But, I feel it is just a band-aid for mismatched esc's servos and all your electrics. I have played with them. In the end, there was only one time I feel I "may" have benefited from using a capacitor.( a Glitch Buster) ESC's already come with them built in. If you are pushing your BEC to the limit. A cap can be a band-aid. And incorrect rated caps or those that don't show the rating are suspect from the get go. This is a technical subject that can be hard to understand.
Capacitors designated as an RC accessory are "way" over priced. These caps are basic and simple electronic components that are re-marketed in RC. The markup is astounding. Just search Google. Caps are just dirt cheap electronic gumball components. They literally cost less than a dollar except when marked up for us RC hobby enthusiasts. I can go on and on. I tried to keep this non technical.
I hope this helps.

Last edited:

PowerDubs

Military Veteran
Reaction score
I won't run a cap pack. Snake oil as far as I am concerned. Whatever measurable on a graph drops you see are infinitesimal and in the real world you have something called momentum.

Just like the drag strip, I watched guys bang gears, yet I could take the same car, shift moderately and not be any slower- same car.

Premium members don't see ads. Clickhereto upgrade.