Cap pack?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joostin420

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fazon
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Outcast 6s
  5. Outcast 8s
  6. Senton 6s
  7. Typhon 6s
how do you calculate for a cap pack; and any recommendations on purchasing?

Thanx,

Justin

Hate to be a homer...but Castle may be your best bet. Not just because they sell cap packs, but you can call their customer service and actually get a live, well spoken representative. I had a BEC question, call CC and they helped me wire up my 20amp bec over the phone (needed 4 channels and arrma receiver only has 3). You could call them and ask them what they recommend, the person I spoke with was extremely knowledgeable.

Not the nicest move, but you could as well just call and buy a cheaper ebay pack from China/HK pack with the answer they give you....I personally would eat the small difference in cost and stick with Castle. Given what happened to Hobbico, our hobby is slowly failing and I want a company like Castle to survive.

sorry, I don't think I worded it correctly...

not just spikes but drops also. i guess its defined as "ripple;" which is how the voltage varies under load. from reading, the less ripple the better since we want the voltage to be as consistent as possible for high voltage systems.

the capacitor size determines range - 50v capacitors could potentially handle up-to 12s (44.4v). is it overkill, or is there a downfall in using a 100v cap pack for only 6s? how do you determine what size cap pack to use in terms of uf rating per application?

justin

Going to be running hw max5 esc, tp 4070cm 2200kv, graphene 6s 6000mah 65c/130c burst.

Went with a killmoderc cap pack. Got the 6pack 13,200uf.

28513EE2-E456-4A98-A803-A8672BAB2CD8.jpeg

E7EC1B50-3821-49D1-9827-09FEDDF62E08.jpeg

2B3E2C3F-8C5A-4D7A-844E-FE71B4DE2ECE.jpeg

FC22C801-A4D9-400C-9008-1CB64B599BA2.jpeg

Justin

It was purely for piece of mind. If the current cap pack it is not enough capacitance it will be easy enough and estically pleasing to see a connector and not see cut wiring. Also, if I decide the esc/motor setup requires more capacitance I can just solder an xt90 connector on another cap pack and plug right in.

I couldn’t find how-to calculate microfarads required either, and none of the companies I inquired with could explain. Went with Killmode due to the high quality Japanese capacitors.

I am almost there; trying to finish up rear wing mount/wheelie bar extension this weekend. Then should be ready to paint the summit body. Have been working on this project since thanksgiving :)
4AB5762A-23DE-44CD-B028-11C6170337DD.jpeg

Last edited:
does anybody know why "cap pack" and not a single, bigger capacitor? why always in pack? thx!

does anybody know why "cap pack" and not a single, bigger capacitor? why always in pack? thx!

maybe because a long pack has a more rectangular shape
or may because electronic industry standards have a certain size, so it would be more expensive to create one custom capacitor

update:
After some online reading I concluded that the capacitors I ordered earlier don't have the same specs in terms of impedance.
I've found out that panasonic FM series to have low ESR rating.
Now I've ordered a couple of 1000mF 50v panasonic FM series capacitors, along with some pcb and shrink wrap, so I can make my own pack with 3 capacitors on it.

update:
After some online reading I concluded that the capacitors I ordered earlier don't have the same specs in terms of impedance.
I've found out that panasonic FM series to have low ESR rating.
Now I've ordered a couple of 1000mF 50v panasonic FM series capacitors, along with some pcb and shrink wrap, so I can make my own pack with 3 capacitors on it.

You mean 1000mF or uF?
Yes I also heard the Panasonic makes better capacitors. Also other brands like Nichicon and Sanyo. I have been investigating and found that Nichicon makes a specific kind of capacitors, with vibration resistance and higher temp resistance too. As you do, instead of paying a reseller for unbranded capacitors with a fancy multicolor sticker, we can buy premium ones and build our own quality pack. The ones I say are these:

http://www.nichicon.co.jp/english/products/pdfs/e-uxy.pdf

Also, any idea how to calculate the total capacitance needed in the truck?

P.S: It seems the double layer capacitors(aka supercapacitors) would be awesome, for they last seconds supplying power instead of microseconds. But I do not find them for voltages above 5 -8 volts.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back