Capacitor on brand new Kraton 8s exploded !

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert338

Reaction score
Hey all. I just bought the Kraton 8s and went to use it for the first time yesterday, and when i put the esc on, one of the capacitors exploded. It sounded like a very loud firecracker, scared the sh!t outta me. My question is, are the capacitors replaceable? What could have caused it to explode? The truck still worked but i was afraid to use it. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

One Cap was defective perhaps???. IDK. Warranty the ESC from HH.
ESC Cannot be repaired . They are potted/sealed at the factory. The PCB is not accessible to rework a new Cap in there, emebeded onto the PCB of the ESC. The external Cap pack can be replaced however. HH generally never repair any ESC. The Cap "pack" attached to the Lipo +/- main leads, is not a Spektrum/HH available part by itself. You could source an upgrade brand one however. In your case The PCB mounted Cap has made the ESC bricked at this point.
A Capacitor is designed to blow out the top. The top of the cap has lines scored in it if you look closely at them. All cylinder type capacitors do. This is where the pressure should release just as it did. They pop. Will scare you. Not dangerous however.:giggle: The Cap did what it was supposed to do when it failed. Caps are there to absorb voltage spikes IMHO. Preventing a fire. Some say the embedded caps are there to keep Ripple volts lower. That is another topic altogether.
I have my own ideas on the reasoning for them.
Call HH to have the ESC replaced. Have the receipt in hand and pictures of the Cap on the ESC. They rarely if ever even want the ESC back. The ESC is bricked beyond repair anyway. Save the old ESC for parts, i.e. fan, Cap pack, leads, parts etc.

Yes the ESC may still work. There are other Capacitors banked in series. (the Cap Pack) But I would just warranty it to play it safe!:rolleyes:
I've had an ESC fire before, rig was a total loss. Yet HH did repair all however. Every part replaced including the melted body. They paid shipping both ways. (y)
Good luck.:cool:

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately in my case, the hobby shop requested that i pay cash. Long story short, i have no receipt. I was assured these truck and electronics are very durable, so i accepted the deal. I see that you are in queens, i am in long island.

Hey all. I just bought the Kraton 8s and went to use it for the first time yesterday, and when i put the esc on, one of the capacitors exploded. It sounded like a very loud firecracker, scared the sh!t outta me. My question is, are the capacitors replaceable? What could have caused it to explode? The truck still worked but i was afraid to use it. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately in my case, the hobby shop requested that i pay cash. Long story short, i have no receipt. I was assured these truck and electronics are very durable, so i accepted the deal. I see that you are in queens, i am in long island.
Not great circumstances, but Welcome to Arrma forum !

Yes can be replaced, fairly cheap.
My guess, they installed it with reverse polarity, that will do it.
Buy an equivalent cap from ebay and solder it the right way

I will PM you.:)

I am I decently chill guy but I would not be in this case. A good cash deal is a good cash deal. But if this was a new rig and you bought it threw a hobby shop in person. I would take it back to them a have them provided proof of purchase or have them get you a new ESC under warranty

Thank you Src. I agree maverick, but i don't have a good vibe with these guys helping me out. If something broke 6 months from now after using the truck a handful of times, no problem , ill take it on the chin, but for this to happen on the first time its crazy.

Check with the hobby shop to see if they have a record of your transaction. The one I use records every sale made. They looked up my purchase 2 months after it was made and printed off a receipt so I could make a warranty claim last year.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back