Senton Car comes on but doesn’t beep and won’t go.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lcarter

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Granite
My 4x4 senton smoked a little last night and now when I turn it on it doesn’t beep when turning it on but I have steering but it won’t drive. Any ideas before I just buy a lot of parts?

The beeps come from the motor your motor is likely toast. Hook the motor leads directly to a battery and see if the motor spins if it doesn't replace the motor or better yet go brushless.

If what you have is the 4x4 mega, then yeah it's probably your motor. Try turning a warranty claim in to horizon hobby for it. I'm not sure if they will take a claim for it being burned out or not, so I'd probably just say that the motor is completely locked up, and that you do have power going to everything else. All 3 times I had electronic trouble, they sent me what I needed with little hassle

If what you have is the 4x4 mega, then yeah it's probably your motor. Try turning a warranty claim in to horizon hobby for it. I'm not sure if they will take a claim for it being burned out or not, so I'd probably just say that the motor is completely locked up, and that you do have power going to everything else. All 3 times I had electronic trouble, they sent me what I needed with little hassle
I disagree. Eliminate the ESC as the problem first. Horizon has to be spoon fed the exact part that Failed. Or you will end up getting what you don't need. But to each his own. Just because you have steering and no throttle and no Lipo beep confirmation, doesn't necessarily mean the motor is at fault. Sure it could be. Just cant assume.
What does "the motor is completely locked up" mean? A seized bearing for instance. That would not prevent ESC initialization.
Motors don't lock up. Both esc and motor can possibly be fried, yes...... Usually not.
I am just saying think outside the box to determine the failed component, so when you call Horizon they send you the right parts. They can be generous, but you have to be sure and specific about your part numbers.

Last edited:
I disagree. Eliminate the ESC as the problem first. Horizon has to be spoon fed the exact part that Failed. Or you will end up getting what you don't need. But to each his own. Just because you have steering and no throttle and no Lipo beep confirmation, doesn't necessarily mean the motor is at fault. Sure it could be. Just cant assume.
What does "the motor is completely locked up" mean? A seized bearing for instance. That would not prevent ESC initialization.
Motors don't lock up. Both esc and motor can possibly be fried, yes...... Usually not.
I am just saying think outside the box to determine the failed component, so when you call Horizon they send you the right parts. They can be generous, but you have to be sure and specific about your part numbers.
Huh, well ok. I'm just saying that from my experience dealing with Horizon. Because they actually sent me a package containing all the electronic parts for my Senton. The guy I talked to over the phone said that my issue was somewhat of an odd occurrence, and would just be easier to send me all the parts that could be malfunctioning.

My motor failed on mine due to the bearing not only seizing, but being completely grinded up inside the motor, metal flakes and particles were covering everything inside, and was causing it to lock up. I did use the term incorrectly in this case, what I likely meant to say was that the motor was fried. Of course like you said, it could be an ESC problem as well, but given the little details on what problem it could have been, assuming what issue it could be was really the only suggestion I could leave, be it correct or not.

It's just one of those things that make it difficult to diagnose issues online, because in-person, a skilled R/C operator could figure out the issue in little to no time at all, but over the internet, it's at least 25 or more posts, and 3 different threads.

I did indicate a bearing failure possible. The rotor spun out misaligned (non centered) within the motor can due to the bearing(s) failure and it got grinded against the stator. Epic fail. The tolerance between the stator and rotor is so small. I usually spot bad bearing(s) before it gets to rotor stator failure. The motor sound is usually unmistakable. But sh*t happens like that. I'm glad Horizon stepped up. :)
Which bearing failed? Pinion side? Lube the new motors bearing with a drop of oil before installing the pinion back. Wipe off excess oil as not to collect much dust there. That's how we learn.(y) By jumping in, sleeves rolled up.
Did you also get a new ESC?
Are you up and running yet?

Last edited:
I did indicate a bearing failure possible. The rotor spun out misaligned (non centered) within the motor can due to the bearing(s) failure and it got grinded against the stator. Epic fail. The tolerance between the stator and rotor is so small. I usually spot bad bearing(s) before it gets to rotor stator failure. But sh*t happens like that. I'm glad Horizon stepped up. :)
Which bearing failed? Pinion side? Lube the new motors bearing with a drop of oil before installing the pinion back. Wipe off excess oil as not to collect much dust there. That's how we learn.(y) By jumping in, sleeves rolled up.
Did you also get a new ESC?
Are you up and running yet?
So when I cracked my motor open, all of my bearings were just gone. Since I knew horizon was sending me another motor, I decided to just send it and destroy the motor by using it until it just stopped working. And yes, I did get a new ESC, but I told Horizon that I did not like the blx100 ESC, and asked if it was possible to receive some sort of credit if I bought an ESC outside of their company, and they left it to their manager to decide, and he said he was fine with it. So I got a Castle SW4, and sent them the receipt, and I got the credit towards their products. But yeah, I actually didn't know that you could put a dab of oil lubricant in the motor bearings, thanks for letting me know. And yeah, that's right, I kinda jumped in and went from NewBright and XMods to Arrma, which is a huge difference, and it's just a little learning curve figuring out that even cars that are claimed to be extremely strong, are indeed not invincible :p

EDIT : And yes, it is fully functional now. I have a savox servo, the castle sw4 I mentioned, I'm on my 2nd 3666 blx so far, and yeah, besides a few hiccups here and there, everything else has been working perfectly fine

You seem to got this down already.
I am amazed you got credit for the BLX100!!!!! How in gods name did you convince them. You must be a good negotiator. Seriously.
You da man(y)
Usually one bearing fails then the other goes fast. Unless you catch the first one before carnage. Usually the exposed outer bearing where the most heat is. Keep it lubed every so often. These are disposable motors anyway. With $200. motors you try to rebuild and press in new motor bearings when you can.
My BLX185 on my Noto flamed up and torched the whole rig running 6S. I sent a video of the fire with a big list of parts to replace under warranty. They said to ship it back to them at their cost and they replaced over $300. in parts. and sent it back all within 11 days. Including new body and all. It was a real mess. They said they wanted the ESC back to examine. I guess more of a liability issue.:unsure: But they treated me well.
If this was any other brand it would have been a total loss. SOL for sure. My 2018 Noto. 6S was barely 5 months old when that happened. And it was my first run with a new 6S lipo in it. I installed the lipo drove it literally 100 ft to set my St. trim and it torched. At first I thought it was the Lipo. But it wasn't. I was lucky. Horizon said they would not replace the lipo. I pulled the lipo quick and kicked dirt onto the fire.

Last edited:
You seem to got this down already.
I am amazed you got credit for the BLX100!!!!! How in gods name did you convince them. You must be a good negotiator. Seriously.
You da man(y)
Usually one bearing fails then the other goes fast. Unless you catch the first one before carnage. Usually the exposed outer bearing where the most heat is. Keep it lubed every so often. These are disposable motors anyway. With $200. motors you try to rebuild and press in new motor bearings when you can.
My BLX185 on my Noto flamed up and torched the whole rig running 6S. I sent a video of the fire with a big list of parts to replace under warranty. They said to ship it back to them at their cost and they replaced over $300. in parts. and sent it back all within 11 days. Including new body and all. It was a real mess. They said they wanted the ESC back to examine. I guess more of a liability issue.:unsure: But they treated me well.
If this was any other brand it would have been a total loss. SOL for sure. My 2018 Noto. 6S was barely 5 months old when that happened. And it was my first run with a new 6S lipo in it. I installed the lipo drove it literally 100 ft to set my St. trim and it torched. At first I thought it was the Lipo. But it wasn't. I was lucky. Horizon said they would not replace the lipo. I pulled the lipo quick and kicked dirt onto the fire.
Oof, that's a big doo doo there man. Thank goodness horizon covered you there. It is kind of interesting that they wanted you to send the failed esc to them, they never told me anything like that.

The whole story on my esc thing was somewhat of a wild ride. First thing was the symptoms of a failing esc, which was an odd one, it would actually make its own commands, and would fluctuate full throttle on its own despite me trying to overwrite it by applying the brake. So after it crashed, the bumper broke, and I decided to call horizon about it, they said that it's a very rare case for the car to take off on its own. They told me they would ship me another blx100, and I said ok and that was the end of that call. They told me it would arrive within a week or so. So I waited two weeks, never showed up. So I called about it's shipping progress, they said it hadn't even shipped yet, because they were out of stock and didn't tell me. So they offered to send me a dynamite 65 amp esc instead, and I let them know that I didn't like the idea, because 65 amps sounded to me like it would have less power. So they said they would get with their manager, and they called back and told me they could give me a dynamite 130amp esc, but it would take a while to ship because it is out of stock. So I told them that I was getting tired of waiting, and was becoming an unsatisfied customer. So I gave the suggestion if it's possible where I could go ahead and buy an esc to my preference, and if they give me credits to use on their products. They got with their manager again, and called me back like 2 days later and told me that they can do it. So I got the castle sw4, and upon installing it, I noticed my servo also had failed, so I got a new servo and sent them the receipt for both, and I got credited to $130. Worked out pretty smoothly in the end

I noticed that HH will generally help out an Arrma guy. But always ask if the part is on B/O. I ran into that as well. So I always ask. If on B/O I ask for another option. And sometimes their options are not a correct match or appropriate. They are not good at feasible options. They are better with just matching OE part numbers. I am curious about your SW4.

*On another thread yesterday it was said that the BEC of the SW4 is not adequate at 5v 2amps. What servo are you running and how is it working for you?
Because, otherwise, the SW4 appears to be a good ESC on paper, and way better than the stock one.

Last edited:
I noticed that HH will generally help out an Arrma guy. But always ask if the part is on B/O. I ran into that as well. So I always ask. If on B/O I ask for another option. And sometimes their options are not a correct match or appropriate. They are not good at feasible options. They are better with just matching OE part numbers. I am curious about your SW4.

*On another thread yesterday it was said that the BEC of the SW4 is not adequate at 5v 2amps. What servo are you running and how is it working for you?
Because, otherwise, the SW4 appears to be a good ESC on paper, and way better than the stock one.
Yeah, the servo is a little slow with the built in BEC, I've been doing some looking around at getting an external BEC that would run at a higher voltage. Other than that, the only issue I've had is the fan breaking. I also need to look into getting some sort of net to put around the electronics so that I stop having issues with the fan. But yeah, runs great, it makes this awesome turbine sound when you hair the trigger. So far I'm liking what I've got. The servo I have is the Savox m230 (pretty sure that's the model number) So far I haven't had any issues with it in the past 5 months or so I've had it

If you are referring to the savox 1230sg . I have that one. It is power hungry. A castle WP external BEC would work. But there are other ext. BEC's out there. The Castle BEC's need an ESC programing card to set voltage output (not included) But if you are a Castle guy, you may have a Castle programmer already. . Out of the box it is set to 5V.(n)But the Castle is considered the best BEC out there.
The 1230, runs great on both 6v and 7.4v. IMO.

Get a BEC. Its such a great upgrade for any esc and servo in any rig.
And aside from the BEC, the SW4 appears to be a work horse for the price.(y) And Castle has great Cust. service. I think better than HW. IMO.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back